Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: mike343sharpstick's 69 Javelin project

Finally some progress up here!
    Panhard bar project is done, after months of head scratching, measuring, and laying on my back under the car confused. The bar is now finished and welded in place.
    placed the mount in its proper location and worked on how I might connect it to the chassis.

Pulled it all out and welded it solid and threw in some gussets and painted it black.

Put the bar back in measured EVERYTHING again and tacked it in place.

Yesterday a buddy who is a welder and toolmaker by trade stop by and weld it to the car for good. ;D
    Now I will brush paint the bare metal and see how this all works by throwing it into some corners to see what happens, woohoo!! ;D

Also, I finally got my new hood too. I needed get this hood so that my AMC Javelin didn't get confused with all the other Javelins out there. But seriously folks, getting this thing was an extremely rare opportunity that I had to jump on. I guess this type of hood was used on some old race cars ;)

Comment

Mike: I gotta say, that bulged hood may be rare but I do like the look of the blacked-out twin-scoop arrangement you already have on it. Just a personal opinion -- maybe some paint on the new one will make a difference (I assume it's a lift-off?)

I came into a Harwood lift-off fibreglass 4-in cowl hood for the Elcy for way cheap. I swore I'd never ever go with one of these things, but now I'm interested to see what sort of a difference the cool air and weight off the front will make.

The plan is to fab up the fasteners so I can switch between the stock steel hinged hood and the lift-off without any structural changes. A little bit of work with aluminum stock should do the trick.

Anyway, great to see the Jav coming along. What's the timeline on the 401?
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

The hood actually bolts to the stock hinges less springs. I do need to add hood pins also ( I love hood pins by the way :D)
        I need to fab some hood pin brackets that mount to the front rad support.
        Once I get the hood pins on I'm gonna spray some black primer on the hood and start driving it again. ;)

I spent last night putting the back of the thing together and cleaning the rear third of the underside of the car (yuck- but I did spend a bunch of time getting this nice so I do obviously need to keep it nice). I got it back on the ground which is nice cuz it's been on jack stands for a long time. Can't wait to try it out with the new panhard bar!

Comment

I love the new hood. The late sixties Trans Am look is awesome.

Comment

Hood pins are done ... well the hard part anyway.
            As usual with an AMC I had to do a fair bit of metal work to get it done. As Javelins never cam with stock hood pins I had to fabricate the whole deal.
            While, some javelins did come with hood pins, I used pictures of what the old TA cars had done as an example of where everything should go ;).
            First I purchased a Ford racing hood pin kit as that has stainless hood pin studs.
            I then located where the pins would need to go on the hood and figured out where to add some brackets to the radiator support. Of course the brackets needed to line up with where I wanted the holes in the hood to be, so lots of head scratching and measuring, again and again and again.
            Cross fingers and drill :o
            It all worked out, but I did not like the thin cheap hood pin plates that came with the kit. I saw the Ring Brothers Camaro this summer and wanted something trick on my rare hood, so I just ordered this from ebay.

Just over $50 to my door.
            Once I get all this done I'll squirt some black primer on the hood and be done with it for the summer. not in the mood for hard core bodywork. :

The wife want me to add the Donohue stripe package.

These actual stripes were a dealer installed on this car for most of its 'first' life, plus it will give the car a little pop. Your thoughts ???

Comment

Today - quiet mufflers off, loud ones on ;D

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick
                Annoy those neighbors!!!
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Video?
                  Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    Annoy those neighbors!!!
                    Annoy the neighbors is part of it, between the leaf blowers, awful kids, and DOGS it's time for some retaliation 8)

Can nothing be simple :P I was was 75% done with the welding part of it and I ran out welding gas >
                    I have some flux core wire that I threw in to finish up, what a freakin' mess, I cleaned that up with a grinder some :-\
                    Everything is fit and now I need to pick up some bits from the parts store.

May be some vid later if it doesn't rain.
                    Clear skies tomorrow so I can test the rumble and the new panhard bar on the mean streets of rural Wisconsin:D

Comment

It's not quiet any more ;D

Took it for a spin around the block which is abougt 4-5 miles around, it is now a proper hot rod.
                      I can't tell you how quiet it was before, it was nice for the power tour, but for general driving fun the only sound it made was woooosh.

I gotta say looking ove that big TA scoop from the drives seat and hearing the noise is really, really cool.

Comment

The wife want me to add the Donohue stripe package.

These actual stripes were a dealer installed on this car for most of its 'first' life, plus it will give the car a little pop. Your thoughts ???
                        My vote would be yes on the stripe, especially with the green paint. On my Cougar, a hood stripe and a factory style double pinstripe on the side in black over the lime frost green certainly helped to break things up and improve the look.

cheers
                        Ed N.
                        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

now you're talkin.... errr yellin. :D
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Quick update, whilst I'm home and not on the power tour this year :'( I thought I would at least give you all an update on some little projects I'm doing to the car.
                            1. The addition of more miles, summer is to short so I am using the car as much as possible. ;D
                            2. Music, I posted elsewhere on the forum that I put an amp in the trunk area and send sound to it via an ipod, works great and is better than driving around listening to my own thoughts, yikes. :
                            3. New Trans/Am hood is now black primer (looks better then the gray primer ;)). I'll block and paint it with proper materials this winter (refer to #1)
                            4. Getting each and every part ready for the 5-speed install set for this winter. Lots of details that can be done now. Flywheel is resurfaced; bell housing and misc. brackets are sand-blasted. Just need to keep saving for a 'new' Ford Racing WC T5.
                            5. Current project, install of spectre performance intake system.
                            They make this cool pro-fab kit that is similar to the systems used on the old TA cars, so the look will match my TA hood.
                            Coming in the mail is all this stuff.

I'll be using the single inlet for now but will have the option to add another inlet later on when the big motor goes in. Planning to get this all installed this weekend, last parts are arriving Friday.
                            6. On the shelf is a neat old dual point distributor and a rebuilt (THANKS milner351 for your rebuild info thread!) Holley 700 DP. I will play with those later this summer too?..
                            Man this is fun!

Comment

you're absolutely welcome - hopefully she runs great once you get her tuned!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Finished up the Air filter assembly install, it turned out great! ;)
                                The carb now gets fresh air from a 4" hole next to the radiator.

Now my fancy new hood bulge has something appropriate under it 8)
                                Now That I'm done with that, time to switch the carb. I will be using the stock manifold for now, will a 1" spacer be a good idea ???

Comment

Working...
                                X