Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All right, Junkies, need opinions: Mope or 'Velle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All right, Junkies, need opinions: Mope or 'Velle?

Time's getting close to my return home, and with the absolutely unreal prices of fuel in mind, I need some assistance making up my mind about which of the two cars I'm going to get roadworthy first: The '73 Chevelle or the '87 Diplomat.

DIPLOMAT 360, A833 4-speed, 2.91 SG 8.25"

Pros: Lots of parts, to include parts car, at the ready, manual transmission, still-like-new tires, I swear, I can't kill the 360 in it, fuel mileage is close to my '01 Regal (high-20s on highway, high teens to low twenties around town), four doors

Cons: Needs bodywork (new fender, trunk, hood) swapped off the Plymouth, needs almost all the interior, needs the headers and exhaust finished off, engine needs a teardown due to popped freezeplug (believed to be backpressure from the absolutely corked exhaust...engine would pressurize oil freakin' everywhere), needs some electrical. No heater or A/C currently. Not registered. Wife cannot, and currently refuses, to drive it.

Chevelle SBC, possibly 383 stroker, unknown trans (350 or 400), unknown flyer-geared 10-bolt w/spool

Pros: Runs, drives, tagged for now. Same room as Diplomat, but in coupe form. Louder exhaust. ;D Stereo system. Working speedo. Have reupholstered bench seat from 73-77 Monte to put in. Proven to take any sort of abuse.

Cons: No question, the most tempermental bitch of a car I've ever owned, prone to carb fires at a whim. 6-pin fiberglass hood w/no locking system screams "steal my intake!". Needs some electrical, mainly HVAC stuff. Windshield leaks at pass. roofline due to bad installation. Front end needs to be raised about 3/4", but need new front springs (current ones were heated to slam it. Stupid.) Potential terminal rust at C-pillar on both sides where the vinyl top ends. Rattles like a MF at idle. Loud as hell, cop magnet before it's storied past. Possible crank issue involving the harmonic balancer.

I need to build a driver and quick, I don't think she's giving up heated leather seats and the CD player anytime soon...

(It's still my car! Remember who makes the payments... ;D)
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: All right, Junkies, need opinions: Mope or 'Velle?

Mopar. Yup.... Mopar.
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Not easy,but the Chevelle have more parts available and handles better.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
        Not easy,but the Chevelle have more parts available and handles better.
        Actually, it's a tie between the two. The Chevelle was set up for rather illegal things, handles like a dirt car with a lowered suspension. The Mopar has all the cop components, polyurethane front end and 11" Cordoba front/10" GranFury rear brakes.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

You have to build the chevelle. My 74 is still in winter storage but i've been busy collecting parts. Did the engine last year. 400, ported heads, cam, intake, headers, Holley 750. So far for this year i've got 15/8 and 15/10 ralleys, 295/50/15 front and 325/50/15 rear drag radials, a 373 posi and am waiting for my tremec tko 600 I ordered in Carlisle. My buddy's got a 73 307 three on the tree, 295/50/15's all the way around. Will post pics soon. I like mopars too, please build the chevelle. Send me a PM, I have a 10'by20' storage container full of new and used parts for these cars.

Comment

you'll enjoy the mopar more

Comment

The Diplomat, definitely.

I would say the Chevelle, but sounds like it needs more work to be ready for the road.

BTW, welcome home(when you get here)....

Comment

MOPAR! Its different and totally cool. The 'velle can always be done later.
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

The mopar sounds like your best, since you have a parts car already......just my thought though, doest have any thing to do with me and my mopar love................ :

Comment

BOTH

Comment

looks like they are equally pains in the butt to get where you want. I'd say the dippy, but that's only because I'd know what I was getting into better. Plus, you've had that longer, and the metal is more solid.

Either way, good luck!

Comment

mopar, just cause it's different!

Comment

There's only one way out of this mess......look in the classifieds for another Car ;D ;D :D. ~OO6.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent-OO6.
                            There's only one way out of this mess......look in the classifieds for another Car ;D ;D :D. ~OO6.
                            If I'm looking for another car, better start looking for another wife. She's tolerated a lot, but I'm willing to bet that car #6 may send her over the edge. I'm trying to keep the peace for now.

Comment

What SHE doesn't know,won't kill YOU :o ;D. Meanwhile,there's a guy in the neighborhood who's selling His Mother-In-Law's(She's retired & moved on to Florida...)'pretty mint' '71 Dodge Dart 4-Door. It's tripple Green,it's got a 198/6,Auto/AC(works!)/PS. It's got a small dent in the R. side Quarter,but that's it. Car is garaged,but the guy is pretty hard to reach. He's asking around $2500. ~OO6.

Comment

Working...
                              X