No announcement yet.

Un-race-car-ing the 68 Chevelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few months back, I dropped the gas tank and finished cutting the rear portion of the roll bar. It was as much fun as the other part :/

I didn't reinstall the gas tank until yesterday, because I wasn't sure about how or when I was going to fix the holes in the trunk floor. I now have a plan, but no time frame, so I went ahead and installed the tank because I'd need to test drive my new again converter!
    Yep, I know, I already swapped the 5000 stall for a 4000 stall 6 years ago as one of the first things I did to un-race-car this thing... But I was cleaning out my camping closet, and found my very first "stall converter" and came up with an idea.
    >>>>Fast fwd past the story of the two converters>>>
    So I get up this morning and get crackin' : pull the drive shaft, unbolt converter from flywheel, unbolt cross member, remove some bell housing bolts, put jack under pan with 2x12 block of wood, crack cooler lines loose, remove last bell housing bolts... Now the fun begins.
    Did I mention I'm doing this in my narrow garage on my back? In July, in Florida?
    Cooler lines dribbled a bit, then when I pulled the dipstick tube - yeah, now we're talking about some fluid on the floor!
    I ended up having the jack too far aft, so the trans kept wanting to tip forward.
    I had to loosen the exhaust to get the cross member out.
    I had to loosen a header to get the trans low enough to slide back far enough to get the converter out.
    This must be like child birth... meaning the memory of just how much it sucks fades enough to be willing to do it again.
    8:30 am until 4:30 pm from start to test driven.
    And I now have a 3000 stall in my street car.
    (Short version: TCI Street fighter 3000 whined after two weeks in car, they wouldn't warranty it because purchase was over 30 days past. Stuffed in closet for 20 years. Had friend get it rebuilt or repaired at FTI , traded him the good 4000 stall with plate. No money out of my pocket, better street converter - hopefully)
    Last edited by yellomalibu; July 15, 2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• All I gotta do is drop a wrench, then I remember why I do not crawl under cars no more..

Comment

Working...
      X