Bossman's 1937 Chevy 2 Door Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bossman's 1937 Chevy 2 Door Sedan

Not really mine, actually its my dad's street rod project but he doesn't use a computer period! This is a really nice ride and I wanted to share since he won't. He bought the car a few years back over in Iowa for a song - all original running and rust free! I think he paid $3800 for it?

We stripped the car down and sent it to a local guy who chopped the top 2 inches and tilted the rear glass forward some. This old guy is simply AMAZING at what he does, the precision and the geometry used to chop a top. Everything was TIG welded even down to the window trim rings for the inside. Very reasonably priced too for the quality of work he does out of his one car garage! This pic was taken after the top got chopped and it is sitting next to a stock bodied car just like his.

Next was getting the main shell body work done before which included a new firewall for the SBC to have some room. Very little work needed to be done since it was in such good shape. We needed some more room in the rear wheel wells since I went with a wider tire so we added a 2" filler piece the the rear fender (not pictured) which not only moved the metal out but also lowered the wheel well opening to create a lower look. Now the rear fender and front fender share the same width (rear originally narrower) and it looks properly proportioned. We also started doing the chassis work - installed a Mustang II front suspension, rear triangulated four link w/ Ford 9", etc.

Once that was done we then removed all of the suspension parts down to the bare frame. My dad spent weeks smoothing out the frame but it certainly paid off when looking at the details in a nice satin black finish. I ordered up some wheels and tires for it to help give it the proper stance (I think I do a decent job getting the correct stance) and we loaded up the frame with fuel tank, fuel line, brakes, brake line, etc so it would be a finished rolling chassis.

Then the car went off to another shop to do some very meticulous and detailed work - suicide doors, hidden hinges on doors and trunk, shaved door handles and trunk, gas struts for the trunk, 3 piece hood with removable sides (originally a gull wing design), and electric locks. It was been at this shop for over a year and is nearly complete. We are set to go pick it up shortly so you will have to wait to see the pics in its current state!
    Last edited by BOSSMAN; October 25, 2012, 04:17 PM.
    Nick Smithberg
    www.smithbergracing.com

While it was off at the body shop I took on the motor for obvious reasons. This build has alot of family history behind it! My dad built this motor around 1980 for his 63 Impala which was well known on the streets of North Omaha in its hayday - McKinley, Abbott Drive, etc. My goal with this project is to pay back a little for everything my dad has done for me, especially to try and take care of some of the expenses to say THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

This motor is a 333 SBC (.040 over 327) that had some nice speed equipment on it for the day - Holley Strip Dominator Intake, Holley 750 DP, #461 Camel Hump heads (he ported-wonder where I got it from?) with 1.437 Dual Springs also has screw in studs and guideplates, early design Crane Gold roller rockers, nice sized Comp Cams solid flat tappet cam, and TRW 11:1 Forged Dome pistons. This motor saw 7500-8000 RPM on a regular basis and he believes around 50,000-60,000 miles or so are clocked on it - 20 years of abuse and self built!

I grew up with this motor and eventually beat the living snot out of it myself when he let me start racing his 81 Camaro at Scribner, Nebraska which this motor was transplanted into after the sale of his high school car, the Impala.

The Camaro weighed around 3100# and I eventually got it to run a best of 12.66 while I was in high school. The car was WAY over geared and was probably better suited for 1/8 as far as gearing went. It previously ran mid 13's in that heavy Impala with such a small motor, decent for the era we are talking about. I eventually got the bug to go faster so we decided to retire this motor and tucked it away in the corner of the garage for the past 10 years. So, this brings me to a more present day which is time to go through it for its last maiden voyage and be placed in his 37 Chevy.

Time for tear down and inspection!

Early Crane Gold roller rockers.

A time before ARP ever existed - Mr. Gasket Grade 8 head bolts.

Bores in decent shape but will pry require a fresh bore at .060 over. Pry zero deck it at the same time.

Stock press fit rods with stock rod bolts, cast crank, 4 bolt block with stock bolts, and the motor was never balanced! How the hell this thing stay together so long??? :shock:

Crank looks decent but will pry turn it anyway.

Knurled piston skirts? Those must have been used up previously by somebody else and knurled to bring back to spec. Money was tight back then!

Surprisingly the bearings didn't look all that bad at first, just the general debis marks of many years of use. Looks like he had it clearanced nice.

But behind the bearing shell DAMN! :shock: Pry should have balanced it.........

All stripped down and off to get hot tanked and magged to see where we are at. Hope everything checks out OK!
    Nick Smithberg
    www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

All machine work is done and time to pop this thing together!

Short block is together, just need to degree the cam, set oil pump pick up height, and button it up.

The stock cast crank is now turned .010/.010 with Eagle SIR 5.7 Press Fit Capscrew rods and Speed Pro pistons.

It has a retro-fit hydraulic roller cam in it 219*/225* .525/.525 112*

Working on the heads now - Profiler 195's 2.02/1.60 w/ 64cc chambers. Did a little bowl work since these things are overkill for his build.

Final Flow Numbers - 4.030 bore using Clay/No Pipe
      Lift------Intake-----Exhaust
      .100-----67.41-------56.19
      .200----151.22------103.36
      .300----217.42------138.12
      .400----266.81------170.04
      .500----299.52------193.50
      .600----304.63------207.83
      Nick Smithberg
      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Some pretty nice head bolts on this thing, stainless steel on the outter row!

Heads buttoned up, I used some PSI polished dual springs commonly used in LS C/T combinations.

I'm still trying to nail down what rocker ratios I want to run on this, thinking a 1.65/1.50.

Couldn't wait any longer, had to see what it looked like with the Six Shooter and Vintage valve covers.

Nick Smithberg
        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

wow, nice

someday I'd like to do the same with my dad - he had a 37 Chev. coupe that he drag raced in LA back in the day...
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

bad ass man!
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Wow! Really nice..
              I love my balanced 327 with the 0.60 bore ..
              You have a HEALTHY motor!
              Are the carbs all with idle circuits?
              Looking forward seeing your linkage set up!

Comment

Yeah it should set that 37' sideways pretty good LOL! My dad keeps asking how much power it will make so I keep lying to him (I say a much smaller power number) hehehe. That is a Barry Grant Six Shooter so only the center carb has an idle circuit and the front/rear carbs are the "secondary" with how the linkage is setup (blocked idle circuits). I haven't tuned one of these before so it may be a challenge. Not sure where the linkage is currently at but it will be in the car this winter.
                Nick Smithberg
                www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Looks like it will be a real nice engine. I'm glad to see you paying attention to cyl. seal by boring block and grinding crank for good fit and finish. Thats the foundation for a good engine which some people seem to not realize.

Comment

That looks to be one boss hot rod, Bossman. The 327 will definitely be a screamer.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty excited for my dad, this has been a long project and I know he is antsy to get it done. Be fun to cruise around in with the family. I'm glad I could help him alot with it.
                      Nick Smithberg
                      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

What a kool looking motor! Love the car too!

Comment

Thanks for posting for your dad's car. That was a lot of fun reading about his present day and past.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

VERY COOL

you're a very lucky guy. My Dad is a golfer, no interest in cars other than for comfortable transportation (he's a town car guy).

Very nice set up! I'm sure it will make way more power than the old set up. My first engine build had knurled pistons!
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

When I was in school (then Ferris State College) taking Auto Machine, knurling pistons was considered a perfectly acceptable repair though not preferred. This was 1966 time frame. Did many of them and they held up OK.

GREAT project. My Dad hated cars and we never did anything like this together. Good for you guys!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X