67 Crew Cab Chevelle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 Crew Cab Chevelle

This is a 67 Malibu 4-door coupe (no b-pillar!) I bought a few years back to drive while my 2-door 67 Malibu was getting paint. It was a one-owner with 98,000 miles and nearly no rust. The rear wheel lips were a little thin, but other than that this was the most solid car of this age I have ever owned. It is a 283/glide car w/ 3.08 gears. I bought it for $1,000.

Since my 2-door was in the shop, I put my 17" Torque-Thrusts on it and cruised it. A friend of mine needed it, so I sold it to him a week or three later. In the 3-4 years since that, the car has got some attention. It got disc brakes from SSBC, fresh paint and trim, new interior, and a stereo. I also did some engine work; it has a Holley 550, Performer intake, Performer cam, and dual exhaust. Last spring I swapped the 'Glide for a TH350. So, it is a great cruiser. It is a really fun car to pile all the guys into and go for burgers.

Over the past year, however, the car has been less and less fun to drive. It will suddenly, and without warning, jump about 3 feet. Very dangerous, and scary to drive. Here's what I found:

NOT wanting to risk any further wear (and potential accidents), I ordered a kit from Performance Suspension in Phoenix. It includes all new ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, idler arm, and sway bar bushings. I also ordered new shocks and a center link (which is the worst piece in the front suspension, as you can see in the video). The parts cost just under $500, and will transform the car.

I also ordered a new pair of front tires from a local tire shop. They have BFG KDW's on sale. A 235/45-17 they are selling for $119!! Here's the current ones:

So, this is my project for the next few weeks, as I have time. I really enjoy working on this car for my buddy. Its like owning it myself, but not having to pay for it. Good stuff! Here's where it will be for the next few weeks, in my garage.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: 67 Crew Cab Chevelle

Smart man. Make it safe first. Great car. I don't care if it has two extra doors.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Uhu.That centerlink was done ;D.Good lookin car. 8)

Comment

Sweet. I'd love to pick up one of those cheap and do just what you (or your friends) did with the suspension and wheels. Add an OD trans and make it my daily driver. 283 and all.

1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by 67pete300
          Add an OD trans and make it my daily driver. 283 and all.
          Thought about a 700R-4. Decided with the 3.08 gears the 283 wouldn't have enough torque, so we just did the TH350. It gets 20-22 mpg on the highway. There's more in it, it runs rich. That cam, intake, and carb really woke it up. It really runs good for being just a stock 283. This car could be driven every day, by my mom. Its dead nuts reliable. Come to think of it, my mom used to drive a car just like this (but with manual steering) every day, when she was pregnant with me!
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Will you guys STOP making four - doors look so great ...
            they were the last hope for us non Barret-Jackson types

Comment

That 4 door is one of the nicest that I've seen , he left it at my place to work on about a year ago and I took it for a spin with the wife and kids and they want one like it.
              It is a very nice daily driver that gets as much attention as any super sport and thats why the guy put the money into restoring it . Its a shame that people wasted so many 4 doors over the years and that they are soon getting rare, cost more than a good 2 door did in the 80's and 90's .

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

dagenesta,
                  That is one gorgeous '67 Malibu 4-door hardtop !

I had a '67 Chevelle SS 2-door coupe and these pics brought back a few great memories ...

;)

Comment

Thanks for all the kind remarks. Old Gold in Fontana, PA did the paint. The car sits low on the factory springs, they are a bit tired. Planning in leaving it that way, it looks cool.

Got most everything disassembled last night. UPS sez the new parts are coming on Tuesday.

I left the tie rods together so I can assemble the new ones to the same length, and I bagged and labeled the shims so I can get the alignment close enough to drive it over to the alignment shop.

Comment

Its a good thing to rebuild the suspension ;D.You will think that starting up a new engine with new parts is nice,but trying out a newly rebuilt suspension can make as good an experience ;D

Comment

That, good sir, is sweet....

Comment

that must have been a fun ride (hunny look the car jumps lanes by itself)

Comment

Originally posted by Joes66chevy
                            that must have been a fun ride (hunny look the car jumps lanes by itself)
                            That's about how it was.

Comment

Anybody know of a good way to press the bushing shells in the lower a-arms? The uppers are no problem, but good golly, what were the engineers thinking when they designed the lowers?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X