Clear All

Re: 67 Crew Cab Chevelle

They have a tool
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

A cheating way to do it - I've pushed the inners out with my ball joint press. The rubber will give and the outer shell will remain. Then I put a hacksaw blade thru the middle and reassembled the hacksaw in place. Then CAREFULLY cut the shell (don't cut the control arm), remove the hacksaw, and fold the shell up. It'll fall right out. This method takes a bit of elbow grease, as you can imagine. I then cheated and took mine to a guy with a press to reassemble. Guess I could have had him press 'em out, too, but they generally fail thru the rubber then you're paying him to get the shells out for you, so this was cheaper. I'm guessing you could freeze the new assemblies and heat the control arm and get them in that way, but I haven't tried it.

Good Luck
      Dan

Comment

They have a tool
        They do?

No problems getting the old ones out. A good air hammer did the trick. The tough part is getting the new lower shells in-- you have to somehow support the two "legs" to keep them from bending while you press the shell through. I have a steel block the measures the correct thickness, now I just have to find somebody with a press... Then I'll tack weld them in place for some assurance.
        The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
        X