Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burke Avanti......Retrofit Project

Hello All,

We just bought the Burke Avanti. I now have it in Western North Carolina and hope to have it running to make the ECTA Ohio meets.

Plan is to have my daughter Celeste and her Cousin Garrett sharing driving duties, they have both raced Jr dragsters since 7 & 8 yrs old and now are 17 and 19 yrs old. Will see if they hold up their end of the deal and help wrench on the car ?

Long term goals will be to make it back to the salt with the car and rework the cage a bit to get my fat butt in it at some point in the future.

Dan Stokes and Garrett went out with me to pick the car up in southern California. Dan towed with his dodge truck ( we got up to 24 mpg on the trip out, 17-18 mpg return with car in tow ) Made enough time to have some fun...there and along the way !

We will post our progress
    Attached Files

Sweet!
    Amazing that a guy that works with pallet racks has them in his shop... haha.

Looking forward to seeing this one progress - great that it will be a family project.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm hoping to make the drive to Maggie Valley frequently as the work progresses. However I do have my new LSR project to screw together as well so we'll see what I can do. This will be an amazing car for sure and has been over 250 safely so we have reason to think that 200 is a reasonable expectation as drivelines and engines progress over time.

Dan

Comment

Looking forward to seeing Celeste rip gears. See you guys on the start line in April.

Steve
        Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Our new scatter shield came today.....As I was getting it out of the box I noticed it was pre-drilled for our throw out bearing assembly

Attached Files
          Last edited by rack4u; February 1, 2013, 08:14 PM. Reason: fix pic

Comment

Great ! No drilling and making brackets ...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by rack4u; February 1, 2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

We pulled out the water tank for the intercooler and under the floor in the tire wheel is a Huge block of concrete.....they say this car never spun out on the salt ( KNOCK KNOCK ON WOOD ) this balast sure helped keep the rear planted
              Attached Files
              Last edited by rack4u; February 1, 2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rack4u View Post
                We pulled out the water tank for the intercooler and under the floor in the tire wheel is a Huge block of concrete.....they say this car never spun out on the salt ( KNOCK KNOCK ON WOOD ) this balast sure helped keep the rear planted
                Note to self: Fill stock tank with concrete...

Been wondering if it would just be better to mount a fuel cell but then I'd have to firewall the backseat area.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Thanks for the update David! I HOPE I can make the trip up North - depends on the weather (actually, the temp).

Dan

Comment

Avanti

Got Celeste fitted in the car, decided to lower the gauge panel for better line of sight. Looks like the throttle will end up in the passenger floor, so, right leg over trans hump...
                    Attached Files

Comment

We spent the day working on the car. Fitted new hood and hood scoop, Celeste used a heat gun and removed the decals on the car in prep for new paint soon.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Great to see progress. If you guys will thaw out a little I'll be over to help. Also good to see Miss Celeste - they do grow up, don't they? Ask her to come to Wilmington so she can de-decal the S-10 now that she's experienced.

Dan

Comment

HOT ROD MAG STYLE RE-PAINT PARTY APRIL 6th-&th

A friend is letting us use his body shop for a weekend Thrash !!

Any & ALL Help is welcomed !! Stop by and Dig In OR Just say Hello and check out the car !

The Shop is on the corner of HWY-29 and 13th Street You contact me for more information

David Parris 704-Two Seven Seven- 8819 OR e-mail me from here....THANKS ALL !
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by rack4u; March 7, 2013, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Avanti.....Re-Paint

Hey Guys,

Sorry I do not get much time to post on BS

Allot of the updates to the car along with OLD pictures and Land Speed Race History are on this site

Thank You
                            Dave

Comment

New Paint

Thanks to everyone who helped get the Avanti painted over the weekend !
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X