Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks all.

A long while back I removed the back pressure valve that was for warm up, and it left two holes in one of the exhaust outlets. So today I tapped threads into them, slathered some JB Weld onto the bolt threads and ran them into the holes. Then ground down the threads flush with the sides.

Installed the rubber hoses. Had another hiccup as the 3/8th clamps I got are not large enough, so I have to order some larger ones.

I really don't like the loop in the front, but the radiator hose does distract from it a bit.

I'm going to re-evaluate using the short segment of fuel rail connected by steel line. I was looking at the set up with the throttle body I have, and possibly the 90* elbow and might be able to have more room for the rail in the center than I thought previously. I would have to break one or both the center injector bungs loose as I have one slightly higher than the other so the hoses would clear each other.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Man, those coil packs look like they belong there. Lookin' good!

About the JB Weld on those bolt/plug threads, do you think it'll stand up to the temp? I doubt those bolts will ever come loose but I haven't had good luck with JB Weld near exhaust - plus it smells funny when burning

Comment

• SB. There is an article in the July 2013 issue of high performance pontiac about the firebird sprint tourismo. A webber carberated OHC six car that was a development car for PMD. As I read it I thought of this project.
        Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

• Originally posted by milkovich View Post
          HPP just did an article with Herb Aadams on the PFST (Pontiac Firebird Sprint Tourismo) and it made me think of this project. The first CNC part ever made at GM was the air cleaner for the webbers on that project.
          Originally posted by 91CCFirebird View Post
          SB. There is an article in the July 2013 issue of high performance pontiac about the firebird sprint tourismo. A webber carberated OHC six car that was a development car for PMD. As I read it I thought of this project.

Our local grocery store has HPP from time to time, I'll have to look for it

Comment

• I can't wait to hear how this thing is going to run with the EFI and other mods. Dare to be different RB!!!!!!!
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

Our local grocery store has HPP from time to time, I'll have to look for it
              If you PM me your address I can drop my copy in the mail. Then I can tell my wife I don't keep EVERY magazine.
              Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

• On it! Local store did not have a copy when I checked last night.

Comment

• Got the magazine from Milkovich, thanks! It was a neat article. The part that really got me interested was the mention of using multiple side draft webbers to balance out the fuel distribution to the cylinders, so they were well aware of the issues the akward runner lengths cause. The follow up interesting part was how they wished they had gone to bigger ones when they bolted up ones they thought were going to be too big.

I'm hoping my first version helps out on the fuel distribution side and my second version makes the runners equal length as well as match up the fuel distribution.

Thanks again John.

Comment

• Six o2 sensors and SFI was the stuff of science fiction novels back then though. Hopefully you have an advantage. Still 6 airhorns would up the pimp factor to 11.
                    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

• Originally posted by milkovich View Post
                      Six o2 sensors and SFI was the stuff of science fiction novels back then though. Hopefully you have an advantage. Still 6 airhorns would up the pimp factor to 11.
                      ...and there's nothing Randal is better at than pimpin'
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• The Skylark may be distributorless by the end of May, going to pull the wiring harness tonight to add the spark out wires to it. This project is motivationally stalled until I get a T5 transmission. I have all the stuff laying out to build the run stand for it too, but I'm still a bit off from fire up on it.

(Finish the wiring harness, finalize the cam sensor set up, make the crank trigger mount, etc)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                          The Skylark may be distributorless by the end of May, going to pull the wiring harness tonight to add the spark out wires to it. This project is motivationally stalled until I get a T5 transmission. I have all the stuff laying out to build the run stand for it too, but I'm still a bit off from fire up on it.

(Finish the wiring harness, finalize the cam sensor set up, make the crank trigger mount, etc)
                          Now you are just going to confuse everyone with that engine of yours. It's bad enough it ain't got no carb, now you don't want that big HEI sitting out front. There will be crowds of people standing around scratching their butts trying to figure out why it looks all wrong.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            Now you are just going to confuse everyone with that engine of yours. It's bad enough it ain't got no carb, now you don't want that big HEI sitting out front. There will be crowds of people standing around scratching their butts trying to figure out why it looks all wrong.
                            The cap will at least be there until I pony up for a Grand National/Turbo Regal cam sensor, then all bets are off. I did pull the harness, so now I have to upgrade it.

Comment

• That's even better - a cap with no plug wires leading to/from it.
                              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                                That's even better - a cap with no plug wires leading to/from it.
                                From Tesla Coil to Tesla "wireless" power transmission!!

I should leave the wires on the cap and have them randomly thrown around the engine bay not hooked to anything
                                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 30, 2013, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X