Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maybe this without the tail

for this

Comment

• I'm not worried about it. Who sticks their hands into the fan of a running engine? It's the same here, plus even harder to reach.

With the radiator and upper hose in place you would really have to be reaching down to touch it. When I eventually get a nice aluminum radiator it'll probably be slightly thicker than the 3-core that is there now.

On another note, I am just about done with the engine side wiring. I am going to pick up the continuous duty Ford Taurus fan relay to power both power junction points (under dash and under hood). I've wired up everything under the hood except the electric smog/vacuum pump. I need to mount and plumb it in. Yesterday I finished up the transmission cooler lines, made some minor adjustments to the fuel system plumbing, wired in the water pump controller and added a relay so the MegaSquirt can over ride the controller and turn the pump up to max, regardless of coolant temp, at high throttle positions and perhaps even set a temperature threshold if I have issues with the controller. Wired in the LC-1 O2 sensor as well.

In the car, I need to settle on where the MegaSquirt will sit and double check my wiring. I should have it all set to at least get the engine running. Once it's running I'm going to run some outputs to the OE oil and temp sensor wires and see if I can make the idiot lights functional with MegaSquirt outputs. Right now the only aftermarket gauge in the car is an oil pressure gauge, so temperature wise I'm going to be flying blind for a while (when the laptop isn't hooked up).

I'll need to put the finishing touches on the hood tach too so I can bolt it on and cross my fingers that it works.
      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; February 8, 2014, 08:59 AM.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• wasn't thinking your hands as so much as the small critters that might like warm, and make a mess if sawed to pieces..

Comment

• I was just looking at your last engine photo and was noticing your heater hose arrangement . I'm sure you'll have no problems and that those plugs are in there good and tight .It's just that a while back I lost a freeze plug out of my Areostar van that I was using to go to work and back . It was too late when I noticed and it blew a head gasket . Amazingly enough It's been running fine ( just have to add water ) but it will be going to the dismantler at the end of the month .

Comment

• Pressure washer and move on =P

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              Pressure washer and move on =P

Comment

• Go, Randal, go!!!

Your new avatar is much appreciated NERF.
                I'm still learning

Comment

• Okay some engine noises and movement may happen tomorrow. Test day in any case. Tomorrow morning I'll hook up the battery and watch for smoke and if no smoke happens I'll plug the the laptop in and make sure the megasquirt is seeing the sensors and doing megasquirt things. If that checks out then I'll fill the cooling system with water and run the pump and check for leaks. If that checks out, then at the end of the day I'll drain it and fill it with an anti-freeze mix. If the coolant system checks out then I'll pressure up the fuel system and check for leaks. If there are no leaks, then it'll be time to make engine noises! It should fire up reasonably easy if everything check's out as I did not change anything from the engine stand. I'll have to start feeding it large quantities of ATF until the cooler is full (and probably the torque converter, I added as much as I could to it before installation). I'll run it through the gears and keep checking the fluid until I'm satisfied it's full. If the transmission hasn't eaten itself by then (remember "I" rebuilt it...) then I'll put the car on the ground and back it out of the shop and consider that a great victory. Crossing my fingers as a dozen things can still go awry. I'll have to call a friend over to help me put the hood on if all is good.

I ended up abandoning the main relay under the dash and switched to a Taurus continuous duty fan relay to power the fuse box there and the power strip under the dash that has circuit breakers on each circuit.

On the other side is the gutted Caprice LT1 smog pump to use as a crank case vacuum pump. I still need a good container to use as a catch can. I'm wondering if I can make one out of a PVC tee fitting, cap with a drain plug and a valve cover breather on the top? I guess it would depend how much oil, etc it traps. For now I'm going to stick a drain pan under it to quantify what is coming out and since there is snow on the ground I have time before it sees any real road time. (I did end up putting a hose clamp on the hose at the end of the red pipe)

The only aftermarket gauge at the moment. The shifter console is way taller than the OE console so a triple set of gauges doesn't fit underneath the dash. I'll hook the temperature idiot light up to the MegaSquirt to let me know if it's getting hot (set to like 190*F or 200*F) and figure I'll do the same with the GEN light and voltage.

I set the MegaSquirt behind the center console for the time being. I may move it eventually so it's just sitting there at the moment. Maybe I'll velcro the bottom of it.... The carpet seems to have seen something that bleached the black out. Who am I to complain, the Skylark hasn't had carpet in a decade or more now so I'm just happy there is carpet.

The driver's side is a constant reminder the car used to have a stick shift. Maybe one day I'll make use of it, or not.

Comment

• Do a search on "Clutchflite" Good luck firing it up.

Comment

• so the lt1 smog pump is electric, very interestgginnng

Comment

• I blinked a few times too many I guess.... fantastic prgress!!
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Casper View Post
                          Do a search on "Clutchflite" Good luck firing it up.
                          clutch hydro
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• As for your carpet , Dupli-Color has a vinyl & fabric coating that works great on carpet . I was going to buy a new carpet @ $300 for the S10 but spent $15 instead , glad I did .

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                              clutch hydro
                              Sounds much better, thank you sir.
                              Last edited by Casper; February 9, 2014, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                                As for your carpet , Dupli-Color has a vinyl & fabric coating that works great on carpet . I was going to buy a new carpet @ $300 for the S10 but spent $15 instead , glad I did .
                                SEM makes a great interior paint

Comment

Working...
                                X