Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I only know of two types as well !

Comment

• J-B Weld epoxies and adhesives create the world's strongest bond for your repair job, allowing you to be your strongest self.

Comment

• It moves under it's own power! Shifted into second gear putt'ing around the yard, which is enough for me to say time to go get insurance and registration! A few minor things to work on today and it should be cruising this weekend!

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• absolutely fantastic Randall-great job!
          HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
          DW- 12,16,17
          "Stay thirsty my friends"
          The worlds most interesting man

Comment

• Progress!!
            Might be an optic illusion.. Will the hood fit?

Comment

• Of course it will, the hood bows up in the center.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Plus remember, these are factory option engines.

Comment

• 2 smart answers!
                  Not my day to think... Is it ever? Siigh!

Comment

• Got it insured, plated, washed and now going to swing by NAPA and try out the MegaSquirt 3's auto-tune on the fueling to see how it does. I have to get used to the manual drum brakes again =P

Comment

• That is beautiful Randall. Wheres the hood tach?
                      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                      DW- 12,16,17
                      "Stay thirsty my friends"
                      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

• In my living room =P

I'll work on sealing it up tonight and finish the small circuit to let the megasquirt signal work with it. I have another two dozen small things to fix on the car now.

Took it around town. Got it running pretty good once I leaned it out enough that the auto-tune could work it's magic. The water pump controller doesn't seem to be doing it's job, so I hard wired it on with the key and will monitor it. I have to get used to the manual brakes again. The steering wheel isn't straight though it tracks straight... I lined it up with the notch on the column... I'm getting two new front tires on it tomorrow, so I'll see if it changes (probably not, and it didn't eat any tires driving from Alabama), then straighten the steering wheel for now and fix the tie rod adjustments later. There are no good alignment shops in Ely and if it's not eating tires now I'm not going to screw with it. The trans autoshifts smooth enough, but doesn't really wind itself up with the pedal down. Likely a governor thing, and not liking the 4.56 gears. The shifter though works like a champ though! There is a bit of a delay though when I manually shift it and the shift happens, and not as harsh as I'd expect. I drilled all the holes and put all the springs in for the "harshest" shift. Maybe the 4.56 gears and converter are dampening it? IDK, more run time will tell for certain.

Never driven a car with a spool before, definitely different. I'm putting narrow tires on it all the way around so that should make the manual steering and spool easier to work with.

Comment

• This thing rocks!!!

They'll be standing three deep at the pro-lawnchair nationals looking at your engine bay.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

• Now that's pretty cool! Congratulations....

Comment

• That's fantastic, Randal! Great work, and the motor looks great. Every time you pop the hood ANYWHERE, you're going to draw a huge crowd. I suggest you have some nice glossy color flyers printed out that start out with:
                              Yes, it's a Pontiac motor.

Yes, I've heard that no one knows Pontiac made a Six.

Yes, it came with a 4-barrel from the factory.
                              And a few of your own that you'll eventually come up with.

I'm really impressed. You've outdone yourself, and it looks great. You did every part of this project exactly right. Keep up the good work.

Comment

• I bet the next door neighbor's pet thinks it really MOOves! I'm surprised you can't see Bossy (or was that Elmer?) in the pics.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X