Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weighs a fair amount, but I'd hazard a guess the intake weighs less than my stock Buick 455 manifold, and probably less than an FE engine one, and the exhaust weighs less than the V8's two manifolds combined.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
      Weighs a fair amount, but I'd hazard a guess the intake weighs less than my stock Buick 455 manifold, and probably less than an FE engine one, and the exhaust weighs less than the V8's two manifolds combined.
      seriously - the manifold off the 460 weighs 45 pounds iirc. The FE's are like 70! - Big buick is probably in there somewhere. Exhaust is good for another 15 a side I think. I weighed the intake cuz I coughed up a nut pulling it loose.

The Opel picture is dead sexy. It shows how easy it would be to change intake runner length too. I don't think your V2 motor will take that long to get under the hood, so I'm not sure how much of this is an academic conversation as a result.

I almost think I would do it backwards of what you are doing. I was thinking the other night, sacrifice the 1bbl intake, an old GN turbo or HX35, tap the runners on the manifold and have some bungs threaded up, and roll it. Then build a kinda snotty NA v2 then boost that sucker for V3.
      Last edited by Beagle; December 12, 2012, 07:46 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Weighs a fair amount, but I'd hazard a guess the intake weighs less than my stock Buick 455 manifold, and probably less than an FE engine one, and the exhaust weighs less than the V8's two manifolds combined.
        The intake alone weighs just 23 Lbs. Like all castings, it's mostly voids and empty space. And it's predictably hollow.

This equal-length header weighs less than the factory cast exhaust manifold, even though it reaches much lower in the chassis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OHC Header.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	865522

Comment

• Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
          The intake alone weighs just 23 Lbs. Like all castings, it's mostly voids and empty space. And it's predictably hollow.

This equal-length header weighs less than the factory cast exhaust manifold, even though it reaches much lower in the chassis.

[ATTACH]15977[/ATTACH]
          Those headers are crazy wild........what size exhaust?
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• they look familiar - I will never do an individual runner attachment again if I can avoid it. Too bad these won't work, I'd probably give them to you I hate hooking them up so much.

Headers by Marquis de Sade:

At least the painted ones won't turn blue where you can never possibly reach them to polish - just whack em with some bbq paint?
            Last edited by Beagle; December 16, 2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              they look familiar - I will never do an individual runner attachment again if I can avoid it. Too bad these won't work, I'd probably give them to you I hate hooking them up so much.

Headers by Marquis de Sade:

At least the painted ones won't turn blue where you can never possibly reach them to polish - just whack em with some bbq paint?

Looks like my intestines
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Monk View Post
                Those headers are crazy wild........what size exhaust?
                They are 1-5/8" primary tubes merging into 2" secondary tubes. They are not port-by-port designed. I came across this one on the net that was done in bright red ceramic to make it "show" better under the intake. You can see that each half is on a common flange with the paired ports lining up together.

Their main drawback - from what I can see - is that the #6 tube gets very close to the throttle cable.

Comment

• nice picture - thanks for that. They look a lot easier to deal with than Thom's intestines!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    nice picture - thanks for that. They look a lot easier to deal with than Thom's intestines!
                    As long as you don't start talking about the differences in flow

Comment

• I should post up a pic of my Hookers for the 250 - currently off the engine. They are 3 and 3 with 2 collectors but similar flange design to the orange ones.

Dan

Comment

As long as you don't start talking about the differences in flow
                        Flow is not good
                        Thom

Comment

• Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
                          They are 1-5/8" primary tubes merging into 2" secondary tubes. They are not port-by-port designed. I came across this one on the net that was done in bright red ceramic to make it "show" better under the intake. You can see that each half is on a common flange with the paired ports lining up together.

Their main drawback - from what I can see - is that the #6 tube gets very close to the throttle cable.
                          Again........that's wild looking stuff but way frigging cool
                          Thom

Comment

• If I was going naturally aspirated I'd be tempted to scour the Earth looking for a set of those headers, but because I'm going turbo I don't want the collector so far back. Now I have to build my own set

Comment

If I was going naturally aspirated I'd be tempted to scour the Earth looking for a set of those headers, but because I'm going turbo I don't want the collector so far back. Now I have to build my own set

That red one changed hands on eBay about a year ago, and a complete engine in Texas changed hands with one of those on it this past summer.

Comment

• Pix of Forward End of Fuel Rail

Good Afternoon Gents:

Sorry for the delay. You can get the flu even having had the flue shot, OBTW!

The first, "Wide View-Front End of Rail" is a wide view with the Throttle
                                Body on the right and the red and blue AN fuel fitting that is the fuel
                                inflow line to the fuel rail. The Coolant Outlet is seen on the left, as
                                well.

The second, "Fuel Rail-Front Cylinders" is just a slightly closer view.

The third, "End of Rail-Inj#1" is the 'money shot, as they say. The red and
                                blue fuel inlet fitting, the end of the fuel rail, the fuel rail support
                                pedastal and the #1 fuel injector can be seen. The clearance between the
                                lower coolant outlet fitting bolt and the fuel right angle AN fitting is
                                closer than I'd like but it works. There has been no interference issue, so
                                far, even in removing the outlet for a gasket change. I could shorten the
                                rail a tad, of course.

OK, Guys, here's the thing. I have not figured how to add these pix to this reply. Two ways to go: 1) educate me or, 2) send me an email and I'll forward them.

Sorry, Guys...

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X