Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
    Nice to have you back ! , Was that you that I saw in a Clap'd Out video from DW 19 with Ry in his Orange SN95 ? . You stuck your head out the passenger side window while you were waiting in line , you looked like you had been sleeping .
    Haha, yes and yes I haven't watched any of his videos, I'll have to go and look.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

Haha, yes and yes I haven't watched any of his videos, I'll have to go and look.
      Hahahahahahaha I knew it was you ! that is funny ! Ry's videos are great , he also put some out under Bull City Speed on YouTube

Comment

• Glad to see you back look forward to seeing how the new engine does!
        ​​​​​
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

• Started putting the new short block back together. I've been hung up on two oil issues. One is if I should make a crank scraper or not due to it being a deep skirt block and very shallow oil pan. The general advice has been to make a deeper oil pan, but the space is really limited between the stock oil pan and F-body cross-member. The other is I'm using an external oil pickup line, but the way I have the exhaust cross over to the turbo limits where I can mount the oil pickup outlet location. So I either need to deepen the sump a bit, or put it on the drivers side and have a longer pickup line to the pump. So I've paused working on it.

Got the block cleaned up and painted.

I've modified the accessory drive with a -12 oil pickup inlet on the outside, then will pump to an external oil filter then from the oil filter directly into the block's oil main galley. Then as it fills back into the accessory drive the two small brass outlets will feed the turbo and lash adjusters with steel line.

Putting the short block together. Got forged Ross pistons with Scat rods and standard Total Seal rings. Much to my dismay the machine shop put the bearing clearances on the tight side so I tried different bearing manufactures, and found King bearings not only gave me just slightly more clearance, the oil holes line up perfectly with the block compared to Clevite and Sealed Power. Plus they are shinier

King is the shiny one, Clevite the dull.

Got the rings filed for moderate boost.

Pistons in. Saw this ring compressor at the local O' Reily's. Nifty design. Could be a little more robust, but was way easier to use than the band style I've used in the past. Everything turns easy using heavy Lucas oil additive for assembly lube.

Here is a mock up of possible crank scrapers using cardboard and duct tape. I know typically they are only on the upswing side, but looking at ones available for LS engines, which are also deep skirt blocks, the aftermarket ones have scrapers on both sides plus baffle. So I'm waffling between making scapers or just putting a screen in. Having the oil pick up tube removed makes the shape a lot easier. I have a plasma cutter and the metal to make the scrapers, just a matter of doing it?

I could get to assembling the head in the meantime?

Comment

• After not being started up for a year while swapping the 8.5" rear axle back in, installing Competition Traction bars and changing out the fuel system a couple of the lash adjusters were collapsed and rattling. So I took the opportunity to pop the cam housing off to ensure the cam was okay and check the lash adjusters. Good news is the cam and followers were in perfect shape. Found two lash adjusters were soft and decided to change out the valve stem seals to see if the smoke out the tail pipe would be reduced.

All clean and in good shape.

No issues with the followers.

I disassembled the two soft lash adjusters and cleared out some cooked oil gunk. All these lash adjusters were used when I originally put the engine together, and I didn't disassemble to clean any of them. Once put back together they firmed up.

My home made spring compressor still works.

And the getting bigger by the day guy loves the races cars.

Comment

• before we all know it, he'll be asking for the keys...
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• or swiping them on his own!

Looking good
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                X