Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    This should be fun. Are you going to reuse most of the original parts in the engine?
    For this first engine yes. One head had a broken spring and one had a wrong valve installed, I got a new valve and it happened to be for the head to this engine. So I'm going to do some oil mod's to the head and bolt it back together. Piston rings are all loose and move freely in their grooves. The cam that was in the engine was tore up so it's getting a new cam and cam followers. I do want to EFI this engine too.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I suggest you put all new valve springs in it too....no turbo on this one?
      Last edited by squirrel; November 23, 2012, 10:12 AM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No turbo on this one. I only replaced the one valve, leaving the springs alone on this one. They are light weight springs, and let me re-phrase when I said the other engine had a broken valve spring, it was actually the dampener that was broken not the spring. The good engine will get new valves and springs, as well as forged pistons, and all the nice machine work and balancing.

Comment

I've seen a lot of factory springs where the dampeners are broken. My machinist says its common.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

More work today.
            To show the awesomeness of the wood stove. When I went into the barn.

A nice fire. Instantly making it nice right next to it, especially with the fan distributing the exhaust heat.

And after a bit, just three logs of wood. Nearly 80*F.

Taking notes from Mr. Ligget I cleaned up the carboned up pistons.

Installed the pistons. Gives new meaning to a slant six

Didn't think about the fact these rod bolts would be smaller than my Buick's. My usual rubber hoses didn't fit Had to make new ones.

I checked all the rod bearing clearances. They were a bit tighter than the mains. Average was under .003". This was the worse one.

The bottom end all bolted together.

Then on to the head. The valves and seats are in pretty rough shape. Realistically it should get some professional work, but I'm not going that route with this one.

Time to lap the valves! Surely to make people like Mr. Smithberg cry.

Essentially what most the valves looked like before and after.

Essentially what most the valve seats looked like before and after.

Now for something more exotic, the oil system modifications to the head. I've seen the right rear head bolt boss drilled through and tapped to provide external regulated oil pressure to the lash adjuster galley. I was looking at that today and did not like the location. I would have to cut off a mounting boss, and could possibly have oil seeping from the head bolt when pressured up (even though it's only 12psi). I instead opted for a middle head bolt that falls under the valve cover so that if it does seep it's not an issue and it places the regulator between the oil fill pipe and the accessory drive from which it'll get it's oil feed.

So I drilled through right here. I used a 5/16 bit for the actual hole to match that of the oil feed from the regulator, then I opened up the outside hole to 3/8ths to tap it with 1/8 NPT threading.

From the side.

I trimmed down the barbed fitting so it will not interfere with the head bolt.

This is with everything mocked up. I am thinking I will forgo the mounting bracket and get a straight pipe from the block to the regulator that will support the regulator. That would move the regulator away from the distributor. The feed will come from the oil pressure sensor location and I'll add a split so I can still get an oil pressure reading right off the pump. The lash adjuster will be regulated down to 12psi.

Amazingly I didn't exceed the inserted picture limit!

The next step is to block off the lash adjuster oil galley from the main line pressure. I think I'm going to try and get a straight tube, then drill out the opening where the restrictor/orifice tube went so the straight tube will fit snuggly. The orifice tube and passage from what I gather is slightly tapered, so a run through with a drill bit and a bit of sealant should be good.
            Last edited by TheSilverBuick; November 23, 2012, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Looking good........what kind of ignition? Stock?
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                Looking good........what kind of ignition? Stock?
                I'm going to have the MegaSquirt running the system when it gets up and running. The first iteration will still use the distributor, but won't have points or anything, just a rotor. The MegaSquirt will control a single coil and run off a crank trigger. The final iteration with the turbo should be running coil on plug coil packs.

Comment

Do you ever sleep ? and when you do , do you dream of nuts , bolts , and Megasquirt . Great work . Keep going ! .

Comment

Ha! I sleep plenty. Back to work tomorrow though so not sure when the next real update will happen =P

Comment

Small update. I stopped by the hardware store on the way home from work today and picked up a 3" length of pipe to replace the restrictor tube. Though I goofed up and despite cutting it twice it came out too short =P I'll pick up another one on Monday. I did drill a test hole in a plate of steel to test the fit and it's going to be real real tight, which is okay with me. I duct taped the bit so I when I go to drill the head I don't drill it too deep.

Comment

I don't know why I subscribe to Hot Rod and Car Craft when I learn so much here . I'll never build an OHC Pontiac but if I do I'll know a few tricks , thanks Randal .

Comment

nice to see you are not squandering your time lounging around the new house all winter!! the ohc project is sooo cool and different-and your new workshop is looking excellent! Love the woodstove deal! you keep on that thing and keep us entertained! and let me know when YOu are coming to LA again.
                          67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                          05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Actually I'm planning on being in CA the last two weeks of the year if I can swing it at work. And to top it off I'll be in the Chatsworth area at least one of those days meeting up with an OHC expert, picking up the intake and exhaust flanges and likely dropping a head off at a shop there for the porting work. When I know what day I'll let you know. I'll be driving the Buick for sure

Comment

I was just in Elco last week, hot footing it from Salt Lake to Sacto and north. Sure has grown since the last time I was there.
                              Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Comment

Three days after I order this made it across the country to me. A MegaSquirt 3, 3x expansion card, LC-1 Wide Band O2, crank trigger wheel and some miscellaneous wiring and plugs. The Aeromotive pump (Sponsor support!) is actually for the Skylark after the Skylark's fuel pump proved inadequate at Drag Week. So the Firebird will get the Skylark's hand-me down pump, at least until the turbo is on the engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X