Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

make it easy on yourself:

I'm still learning

Comment

Got some work done today. Finished my oil system modifications, hosed down and cleaned the head to clear out any metal chips, installed the valves and springs, painted the block, head and oil pan and installed the oil pickup tube. I had to modify the oil pickup tube as I decided for this engine to use the 230 pick up and leave the original 250 pickup for the good engine. The difference is the tube is flattened in one spot to clear the throws of the 250 crank.

Here is a picture of the narrow part of the 250 oil pickup.

I heated the 230 tube up with a torch and used a piece of wood as a backing and hammered a flat spot in about the same spot.

Installed the pickup tube seal, slathered it in a bit of oil before install.

The pickup tune has a hold down similar to a distributor hold down. Put some loctite on the threads.

Clears the crankshaft now. I didn't actually check, but it must of just barely rubbed without the mod.

My straight brass tube next to the original restrictor tube.

Threaded the end so I have a way to remove it if needed.

I drilled the oil hole open a hair to the diameter of the brass tube. That's as far down as I can push the tube, it gets real tight after that.

Slathered it up with black RTV to make sure it seals.

Then hammered it down in the hole. I actually had the head on my wood stove for a good while so the head was pretty hot. I'm hoping it get's tighter as the tube and head become the same temperature. One thing I checked though, once the cam housing is installed it will keep the tube from getting pushed up as the tube does not fit into the cam housing.

Started installing the valves.

Pretty straight forward stuff. Compress the spring until the keeper slot shows on the valve stem.

Install keepers. Always careful with spring compressors, if one of the hooks slips it gets interesting in a hurry. I made sure to wear safety glasses when doing this just in case.

Now some gratuitous end of day pictures.

Tossed a cam housing on there just because.

Tomorrow I'll do some work on the accessory drive, water pump and front cover stuff. Still not sure what I want to do for the paint scheme on them.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Good progress! I hate those spring compressors. I'm looking to buy a pneumatic one or a big proforms bench mount one. They are on at any rate, good deal
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Did lots of cleaning today. Pulled apart the accessory drive to clean it up. I removed the stock 30psi pressure relief spring and installed a spare Buick 60psi spring. The white spring in my Skylark actually nets me 75psi with 10w-30. If I find it's too much for the OHC engine I'll start cutting coils off it until it caps out around 60psi.

Spring comparison.

I guess I've settled on my paint scheme. Buick runs too deep in me, I have to have some RED! I'm going to paint a different cam housing Pontiac blue with red stripes and the timing belt covers are painted like that now and drying. The red capped with black kind of just fell out that way. To top it off the distributor cap is black when it goes back on the engine. I actually put the lower sprocket on just to take the picture, it has to come off to install the front crank seal plate. Still have to install gaskets and I'm going to get new bolts to hold the accessory drive.
          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 3, 2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

And one more picture just because.

Remember this is what it looked like when I got it. I've actually used the 230 oil fill tube and cap.

Comment

Ooooool. Pretty colors.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Dude !

That's not right ... that's just not right.

I was going to suggest you go this route ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	OHC-Stuff3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	865358

Comment

Nice. Where it's black on the cam cover mine will be red and the stripes and letters bare metal. Unless of course I take some other color to it

Mine won't look as red when the belt cover hides the water pump, as the cover is painted Pontiac Blue also.
                  Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 3, 2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

The belt cover was added for ... get this ... snow protection. You don't need the cover. Leave it off and show off that water pump.

Comment

Do you think I should try and find a red hose to feed the oil pressure regulator from the pump?
                      Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 3, 2012, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I'd be careful with red hose. Someone might mistake it for the charging line on your A/C.

Comment

Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
                          The belt cover was added for ... get this ... snow protection. You don't need the cover. Leave it off and show off that water pump.
                          I'll keep that in mind. I do like the looks of the cover though. If these things were so rare/expensive I'd be tempted to "customize" the cover a bit with some windows showing the cam sprocket around the fins. D shaped and mirrored D shape window's with the fins in the middle.

Of course this engine and the next will be using the fiberglass '69 cover.
                          Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 3, 2012, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Only the aluminum ones are rare (1966). If you have a plastic / fibreglass one, have at it. If you like, I can send you a few to mess with.

Comment

Dully noted! I have one complete aluminum one that will be collecting dust for a while (along with the 4bbl manifold, the dual exhaust might get used on this engine).

Comment

BTW ... the 1969 belt cover had the cleanest installation: 2 stand off / "coupling" bolts instead of the 3 funky posi-drive screws into that formed bracket. It was not metal, but I would suggest you go that route for your "windowed" version.

Comment

Working...
                                X