Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now Running EFI on a OHC-6

Hi:

I'd like to introduce myself as one who has applied EFI to the OHC-6. Briefly:

The most difficult problem was getting fuel reliably to the injectors but have a solution now with no fancy stuff and a very quiet pump. Intake is a Clifford alum. unit to which I welded pedastals for the injectors. Clifford's 'shorty' headers send exhaust to dual pipes with an O2 sensor (PLX) in each. I use the distributor and the Delco MEFI2 EFI because for the time--early 00s--it permitted me to alter the tune completely including underway. The 230 cid, high CR engine (with the simgle barrel cam) breathes remarkably, is wonderfully responsive (actually scared me the first time I got a little brave...) and easily cruises at 19 to 1 AFR (measured) at around 50 degrees advance. The system has been running for about 8 years and is hooked to a improved 2004R.

If I could possibly be of help, Randall, let me know. In any event, best of luck to you and thank you for sharing.

Paul S

Comment

Hello Paul! I would certainly like to see your injector and fuel rail layout on the intake. Nice job getting this done when it was much harder to do. I've got two other old car's I've EFI'd so getting fuel to the injectors I can do with out much trouble. Awesome to hear you can run it at 19:1 AFR, and 50* is a good reference point. What rear gearing do you have in the car with the 2004r?

I'm going to start with a used 1bbl cam I have to make sure the engine does all the things I want it to do, then I'll step it up to a 4bbl cam just because I have one.

Again, welcome!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That's cool..........sure will help trying to re invent the wheel..
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
          Maybe you've seen that Randal has this thing about documenting everything with a camera. Until that motor hauls ass, it's going to get criticized for everything that "looks" funny. He's going through the school of TLAR engineering now.

But you're probably right, as long as the air and fuel make it into the cylinder together in the right proportions, it's going to run better than average.
          not sure how to read this, but to be clear, I'm not criticizing anything. I'm actually saying do it any way you want.

Clifford is offering OHC manifolds, but their web page is jacked.

Not sure if you wanna drop a lot of coin on V1, but if you're worried about hacking up the factory 4 bbl stuff, the Clifford manifold looks EASY to put bungs on.

Do the Crower rods for the Chevy six work here? I think Dan Stokes bought a set, would love to get some feedback on them. I have a sick desire to build a turbo 300 ford for a stretched t-bucket.
          Last edited by Beagle; December 9, 2012, 08:09 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I sure will send the photos as soon as I take them--again (all early documentation/photography was, sadly, lost), SB.

My '68 LeMans (have had it since it was a pup almost 45 years ago--it's on its way back from the Moon mileage-wise) has a 3.23 rearend, BTW.

Notably, the Clifford 'shorty' headers I use 'collect' the front 3 and the rear 3 cylinders into separate down pipes, unlike Beagle's photo. Thus, it has dual exhausts that sound oddly even and slow to a v-8 enthusiast walking up behind the idling car.

Paul S

Comment

Tragedy!! 3.23 is a good gear. I ran 3.23's behind a 2004r in my Skylark for years behind the odd-fire 3.8L V6.

Beagle's photo shows two collectors, one just blends in. My issue with purchasing a Clifford intake manifold is simply cost to buy, only to let it collect dust a year later when I get my turbo manifold built. I may try and build a functional prototype manifold before hand. I'll have to see what 'supplies' I can come up with in CA, otherwise may resort to modifying the stock 4bbl intake. I'll have to look for one of those water necks OHC6S posted for fuel rail clearance.

Comment

it's a dark picture, there are two collectors on the headers in that picture. The front one L's into what looks like the primaries on the back, but it's collector end is on the 5th pipe back.

The Clifford looks like a good candidate for a 1000 cfm throttle body and carb hat / elbow for boost!

Last edited by Beagle; December 10, 2012, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Sounds like two more expensive parts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                    Sounds like two more expensive parts.
                    expensive? A week away from Hooters... maybe two. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      not sure how to read this, but to be clear, I'm not criticizing anything. I'm actually saying do it any way you want.

Clifford is offering OHC manifolds, but their web page is jacked.

Not sure if you wanna drop a lot of coin on V1, but if you're worried about hacking up the factory 4 bbl stuff, the Clifford manifold looks EASY to put bungs on.

Do the Crower rods for the Chevy six work here? I think Dan Stokes bought a set, would love to get some feedback on them. I have a sick desire to build a turbo 300 ford for a stretched t-bucket.
                      Man those parts would look awesome on the six banger Randall
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

A reminder of what I have.

Comment

What's the casting date on the manifold set? The intake looks like the '67 230 version, which needs a stainless shim gasket (apparently present) between the manifold and carb. The heat riser is open to the bottom of the Q-jet on that version. That's the only version with that design flaw. Later (and earlier) intakes didn't have that. The exhaust is not 1967 .... looks more like 1968. If that's a matched set, then the stainless shim isn't needed.

If I recall, the Chevy 6 rods are too narrow for the OHC. The Pontiac OHC rods are forged from the factory and designed to let the bottom end withstand over 500 HP.

The Clifford intake doesn't breathe as well as the factory intake, but it's a lot lighter. It also can't be used with the factory exhaust. To use the Cliffy intake, you'll need to go with their shorty headers or - if you can find one - a tuned, long tube header.

Comment

There is always this mod as well.

I'd like to get equal, or near equal runners for my good engine.

Comment

how much does it matter with boost? not being a smartass here, I'm curious. The exhaust is begging for a HX35...

you could probably make em any length you want... oh yeah, EFI. Nevermind.

(that last part was smartass)

Comment

Small displacement, going to try some tricks in the book to try and maximize the HP out of every cylinder. I want to see if I can 'make' a tuned length runner.

Comment

Working...
                                X