Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is great stuff. Remember the OEMs are nearly strangled by the EPA requirements, drive cycles on the dyno, drivability requirements, and keeping the parts costs to an absolute minimum.

Lots of stuff that makes sense to the OEM from a cost / part / volume mix standpoint, do not apply in any way shape or form to what we would build in our home shop with limited resources.

I have to believe for the vast number of guys, bank fire is just fine... and can still compete or exceed the performance of a carburetor with allot less fuel stains left on top of the intake from swapping jets, power valves, etc.

Sequential is where the engine masters guys really get to test the water - and I'm sure happy to read what they discover.

For an inline six - sequential has merit - but shared ports sure muddy the waters.

I'm listening and learning Randal - what you're implementing here I will borrow from when it's 292 time for the '54.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• The Pontiac OHC doesn't share ports At least minimally so with the 4bbl head.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
        The Pontiac OHC doesn't share ports At least minimally so with the 4bbl head.

Here's a better shot of a finished head that has 12 individual ports ... none shared, not even a little bit!!

Comment

• This engine is surely a work of art. More evidence that huge corporate culture and status quo killed a lot of good engineering in this country before it had a chance.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Remember the base 1bbl engine made 10 more HP than the best 292-250-230 straight six Chevy rolled off the assembly line with (~155HP? versus 165HP 1bbl Pontiac 230 and 215HP-230HP 4bbl 250).

Scored some stuff from the junkyard today.

The global view. Got a set of air and coolant temp sensors and pigtails, a TPS sensor with an arm for experimenting with, an idle air control valve that will fit the 75mm throttle body OHC Sprint 6 graciously gave me. A black box hooked to a '68 T-bird's tail light assembly, I don't actually know what it does, a headlight vacuum door switch off a '67 T-bird, 8 numbered injector plugs, then a fuel rail, pressure regulator and injector wiring harness from a Northstar engine.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0760.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	865759

I never noticed this before on the Northstar engines. These clips hold the injector to the injector rail. The injector rail is the hard plastic fittings that are supposibly easy to disassemble and re-assemble when put in boiling water. A guy on the Car Craft Anti-Tour had plumbed his EFI fuel pump with the plastic hard line and said it was really easy to change out the pieces with hot water. I'm going to look for some new line for a cut to fit the OHC application.

Name:	IMAG0762.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	865758

Here is another Northstar engine untouched. I may go back for the harness and rail on this one too.

Name:	IMAG0759.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	865761

Just as a side note, under all that rats nest is an Olds multiport EFI system. It was completely buried and only two injectors visible on the thing, and unfortunately is white washed in the sun.

Name:	IMAG0758.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	865760

The mysterious Thunderbird box. I suspect might be a stock trasistorized sequential blinker unit. I might try it out on my Thunderbird.

Name:	IMAG0763.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	865762

Comment

• Shared parts are a real pain in the rear, I know from past experience. Randal, that's a great looking head after the porting work.

Comment

• Yeah...totally diggin this thing.

Comment

• The mysterious Thunderbird box. I suspect might be a stock trasistorized sequential blinker unit. I might try it out on my Thunderbird.

it's been quite a few years(1982 I think) but if memory serves, you are correct... a friend of mine had me repair one on his Cougar... same terminals and case...
                  Last edited by silver_bullet; December 21, 2012, 06:07 PM.
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• My, Randal, I believe you could eat off of your work bench or floor. Compare your work bench photo to mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by GH View Post
                      My, Randal, I believe you could eat off of your work bench or floor. Compare your work bench photo to mine.
                      LOL Gary, the picture of the cleaned up head is definitely not my work bench!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                        LOL Gary, the picture of the cleaned up head is definitely not my work bench!
                        Yeah.......it'd have empty Ding Dong wrappers all over

Can't wait to see this thing fired up.
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Monk View Post
                          Can't wait to see this thing fired up.
                          This is close to what the N/A version would sound like:

That particular sound is partly inherent to the engine, and partly due to the tuned header.

Comment

• My 250 Chevy motor had a similar "swarm of bees" sound but NOT as sweet as that Pontiac. That's why it became the "Buzz Bomb".

Dan

Comment

• i always liked the sound of a screamin' six!! i grew up mext to a plant where a lot of 6 cylinder jimmy's were the norm... you never forget the sound...
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Picked up ~18"/$15 worth of new 3/8th and 5/16th plastic line at the parts store today in the Help section under fuel line repair, enough to play with and "test" with on adjusting the length between injectors.

Also finally mailed out the semi-blank cam I got from Jerry Woodland a couple years ago to a cam grinder for some final grinding. Asking for a "Full Race" grind and will likely cut into the cam core diameter a decent amount to gain some lift and duration. I had to get on this because I have a head at a machine shop to be cleaned, checked, intake dividers welded up and machined truly flat and divided, bronze valve guides and new valve seats. Next step will be porting, new valves and new valve springs. I need to know the final cam core diameter to know what length valve stems to get so I had to get that cam mailed out.
                                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 26, 2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X