Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could be in a "no service zone" for his phone....

Comment

• Or a extra long visit in Las Vegas, as I hear it, not much night life in Ely.
      DragWeek 07, 08, 09, 11, 12 & 2013 with 2nd place in DD

Comment

• Thanks for the concern So far I got just shy of 500 miles in since last night. Made it to southern California with only one hiccup and one sorta concern.

About an hour into my drive, 60 or so miles, my external oil line let loose and sprayed the engine bay with around 1.5 quarts of oil by the time I noticed the oil pressure fluxuations and shut the engine off. FYI, that is a bunch of oil in the engine bay =P So the pink oil line I had couldn't stand up to the heat, and what is worse is I figured as much, bought a replacement 1/8 EFI fuel line hose that would have no issue with it and forgot to both install it or bring it with me d'oh! Since I was only an hour out of town I called a friend for a big favor of swinging by my house, grabbing the hose I bought and bringing it to me. I was up and running within five minutes of his arrival. I had five quarts of oil with me since I was unsure of it's oil consumption rate at sustained highway speeds. Turns out it's quite a bit so far. Cruising between 2,800-3,100rpm seems to suck oil out of the thing. I will probably dial my speeds down to 2,700-2,900rpm for the trip home to see how it goes. I think this engine would do well with gears that would put the cruising speed right at 2,600rpm. I haven't calculated what ratio that would be yet. My oil air separator(pipe) isn't working nearly as well as I'd like it too either, so more work will have to be done there. I'm getting quite a bit of oil out the breather even when the reservoir isn't even close to being full. It is getting around 20mpg, which isn't terrible considering the 4.56 gears and rpm's turning. Squirrel says the cruising speed is equivalent to driving with 3.25 gears and no overdrive.

Here are a few trip pictures so far.

On the road.

On the side of the road.

Back on the road, and actually this was this morning in California.
        Last edited by TheSilverBuick; March 29, 2014, 05:28 PM.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I can report that Randal's doing fine and his creation is nothing short of amazing. I forced him to wrench on my car today, and he was more than willing to perform forced labor with no breaks for food. I realize that complimenting him on his character is like hauling coal to Newcastle, but it bears repeating: Randal is one very cool guy with a lot of class.

I got to take a short spin in the Firebird. I ran great, sounds great and when he got on the loud pedal it has a really nice growl to it and (sure enough) gets a lot of attention wherever he goes. That shifter is awesome. I want one!

Randal, thanks again for stopping by to help out with getting my Sprint one stop closer to the road - finally!

Comment

• As long as he was turning wrenches, and not doing plumbing or wiring...
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• OHC 6 - Thanks for the report. Glad all is well with Randal and his FBird.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                As long as he was turning wrenches, and not doing plumbing or wiring...
                So so true

I had a great time today and glad to help! I went to two car shows today, helped a friend install an engine and trans in a car (as well as pull a short block out of the car first) then went on to hang out with a friend of mine that we go all the way back to the 8th grade. It was a good day.

This was the typical scene around the car today

Comment

• Originally posted by Swede4 View Post
                  OHC 6 - Thanks for the report. Glad all is well with Randal and his FBird.
                  Thanks Swede for the support and I still have your number as I am driving home tomorrow, leaving Fontana around noon.

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    As long as he was turning wrenches, and not doing plumbing or wiring...
                    Yeah, we kept him clear of the plumbing. His help was invaluable everywhere else, though.

Comment

• Indeed, keep our phone number - it works if your coming or going. If you want some fresh oranges to take home with you I'll meet you somewhere/anywhere before you get to Cajon pass with a bag or two...

Hardy Handshakes - Swede

Comment

• Originally posted by Swede4 View Post
                        Indeed, keep our phone number - it works if your coming or going. If you want some fresh oranges to take home with you I'll meet you somewhere/anywhere before you get to Cajon pass with a bag or two...

Hardy Handshakes - Swede
                        okay, I have to ask... what kind of booze do you make out of oranges? I know about triple sec, but just yeast and sugar, what do you get out of an orange?

Sorry, had to ask. Back to the "F* Yeah! It's running and driving and making miles!"
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Made it home! I'll tally up the miles tomorrow. Was getting 20mpg driving home as well. Still drinks/loses quite a bit of oil. Oh well, maybe some of it will drop off when I do the valve guide seals in May with a cam swap.

Comment

• Well done Randal

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              Made it home! I'll tally up the miles tomorrow. Was getting 20mpg driving home as well. Still drinks/loses quite a bit of oil. Oh well, maybe some of it will drop off when I do the valve guide seals in May with a cam swap.
                              too bad there aren't any full service stations left. That was one of the funniest things I heard from a customer when I was a kid ... it was an old joke but I had never heard it before. "Fill it up with oil and check the gas!"

seals will probably help a lot. Did you notice a smoke trail or is it dripping?
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I was astonished how much valve stem seals made a difference - knowing full well they wouldn't last too long since the real problem in the worn out engine we were repairing was the guides themselves... but it helped control oil usage for a while - till he totaled the truck a few months later...
                                Well done Randal - with recent pressures from work, and life in general - I'm even more envious than normal of your intra state adventures, and seemingly endless progress on your fleet - you lead a charmed life my friend!
                                Well done.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X