Bill of sale only... no pink???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill of sale only... no pink???

Just want to know. I see so many cars on ebay etc etc... lots of them say no bill of sale!!
    question is.. how do you register this with out a pink, and how do you know its not stolen, aside from going to the local dmv.. what if your in a different state?
    and even some states have sellers stating "this state doesnt have any pink slips after so many years!"
    I'm not ready to buy something else but when a do I want to make sure there are no wild curve balls or any thing like this!

thank you all who informs!!!

Re: Bill of sale only... no pink???

I was able to use a print out of my ebay auction as my bill of sale.
    Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

but what if you didnt know who David Frieburger was..?
      How would you know if its stolen or not?
      esp with out a pink.
      Is it acceptable to give a bill of sale instead of a pink slip?
      esp to the DMV?

Comment

Try calling your DMV and ask them what the process for registering an out of state and/or lost title vehicle is. They have been through it before with other people. If the DMV you call gives you lip, hang up and call a different one.

Comment

In my state, colorado, they did away with the requirement for the bill of sale years ago and added a place on the back of the title to write in the purchase amount. Sales tax is based on the value of the vehicle, not the purchase price. We don't even have to have anything notorized anymore.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

In VT we don't have to have titles for anything over 15 years old. Bill of sale is all that is required. NY on the other hand is a title state where any vehicle manufactured after '73 has to have a valid title. Being right on the border of VT and NY, I find some great deals on vehicles that have lost titles. Nothing illegal mind you, just the occasional "Dad died and we don't know what he did with the paperwork" type situation. Easy to work around anyway. Some great donor cars come up this way. I've seen a 95 Z-28 6 speed car with nothing wrong go for $2000, and recently a mint 92 Camaro 5.7L for $1200. My car trailer was without papers and came from NY. It wasn't stolen, I knew who owned it and the family never could find the title. I didn't have a problem when I registered it.

Probably the best idea is to know why there is no title or pink slip, and use your own judgement before you commit to any agreement.

Comment

Here are the requirements for Indiana:
              For used vehicles:
              Application for Certificate of Title - State Form 44049
              Conforming Odometer Statement (generally found on the Certificate of Origin)
              Bill of Sale
              Vehicle Inspection Number (VIN) Inspection (if the vehicle was not purchased in Indiana)
              Social Security number or Federal Employer Identification number

Taken from BMV website

Comment

Here is the form to take care of it in California

bored....had time to look at website

Comment

thanks to all for that understanding..
                  at least now I feel more comfort, when looking for a car, that its ok to buy via bill of sale.

Comment

Depends on the state laws. In Georgia it's that anything from 1985 or older can be registered with no title but a good bill of sale.

Comment

Working...
                    X