Caveman's 'Anti-Rescue' rig '74 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
    I just realized what a jerk I am for hi-jacking your thread Caveman Tony so I want to apologize for that and I will shut up. I don't have much real world experience in most discussions here and when I get a chance to talk about something I know something about I tend to blabber too much.
    not a hijack, good information that's relevant to a topic being discussed..... now hijacking, type "beagle" into the search box and read his posts (they are very entertaining, but.... )
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Man...That's Harsh...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I just realized what a jerk I am for hi-jacking your thread Caveman Tony so I want to apologize for that and I will shut up. I don't have much real world experience in most discussions here and when I get a chance to talk about something I know something about I tend to blabber too much.

Hey man, no prob, voice of experience is always welcome.

But dude, my eyes hurt on that paragraph/novel up there. There's a funny keyboard button on the right with a funky curved arrow on it.

My corneas start to steam up when they get overloaded...

Click image for larger version

Name:	28884771.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	865688
        Last edited by Caveman Tony; December 17, 2012, 08:03 PM.
        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

no offense meant, Machinist ...
          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
            I had my machinist weld a crack on my friend's 58 Caddy exhaust manifold cause they are impossible to find. He used some kind of powdered metal as the filler. It comes in a big plastic bottle like a big shampoo bottle. He said the stuff was insanely expensive, but it was well worth paying him $125 to do it for me.

Scott, that pic is post grinding?

Almost looks like some type of NASA astronaut brazing shizzle right there. WOW.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
              Scott, that pic is post grinding?

Almost looks like some type of NASA astronaut brazing shizzle right there. WOW.
              It's post me paying to get it done. The powdered metal stuff he used goes in the crack, ground out larger, like molten steel. Then it's cooled slowly.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

huh? That'd be me hijacking, but the information was completely relevant! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Nice exhaust fix Tony (see, SBG, I try to send it back to where it was)
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  huh? That'd be me hijacking, but the information was completely relevant! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

For a change... Usually reading your posts makes me fergit what it wuz abouts...

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

but how did that make you feel?
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

So - Tony - to clarify - the reason you're looking at an engine rebuild was a camshaft alignment to the lifter bores issue?

was the camshaft machined wrong or is there a missing spacer or some such part that locates the cam properly in the block?

I ask because a friend went through a somewhat similar issue with some very expensive cleveland parts about a year ago - it turned out to be missing parts from the timing chain supplier, and not enough pre assembly checks - wiped out the cam and distributor gears and didn't do the lifters or block any favors.

Nice work with the dremel on the wounded parts, very nice indeed.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        but how did that make you feel?
                        Do you guys see him repressing me? lol. I feel repressed.

Not that repressed though.

Sorry Tony, SBG made me do it.
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Where can I get one of those cat carriers? I'm ready to deport a couple of loud toms in my neighborhood. Whether or not they came from Calcutta, that's where they're gonna end up.

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                            Where can I get one of those cat carriers? I'm ready to deport a couple of loud toms in my neighborhood. Whether or not they came from Calcutta, that's where they're gonna end up.
                            Just ship them to my house........Libtard is running out of "play-toys"...

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              So - Tony - to clarify - the reason you're looking at an engine rebuild was a camshaft alignment to the lifter bores issue?

was the camshaft machined wrong or is there a missing spacer or some such part that locates the cam properly in the block?

I ask because a friend went through a somewhat similar issue with some very expensive cleveland parts about a year ago - it turned out to be missing parts from the timing chain supplier, and not enough pre assembly checks - wiped out the cam and distributor gears and didn't do the lifters or block any favors.

Nice work with the dremel on the wounded parts, very nice indeed.
                              I'm 99% sure the major reason I'm rebuilding this is because...

A. I trusted the wrong dude to do the break-in
                              B. Said wrong dude used cheap-ass oil.
                              C. I was a cheap-ass and re-used the old guideplates and pushrods, and they failed
                              D. The valvesprings were WAY too stiff
                              E. The valves became stuck after sitting dry in the desert for 4+ years...

Honestly, if lobe alignment was part of the cause, it was a minor contributing factor. I never did check the timing gear faces for alignment when I first rebuilt it.
                              Last edited by Caveman Tony; December 19, 2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

To make you feel better Tony, the first Buick 455 I kinda built and kinda had someone else build because I was 500 miles away in Ely and the car was in California, lasted a glorious 50 miles after spending about two years or more getting that engine together, in the car and starting the car up. Destroyed the crankshaft and cam. Had a nice 500 mile U-haul truck and trailer rental to get it home and do it right.
                                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; December 19, 2012, 07:45 PM.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X