Sar h3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    Funny, I'm actually relieved at this news - it's not covered, the warranty expired 9/17/12.
    lol

Yeah, with your history of the dealership and warranty work, I'm with you!

Comment

now i'm not sayin' that all dealership guys don't do top flight work...I am saying that i have a LOT better peace of mind when Sean(AMeanXtreme)and I do the repairs... I have had a few issues with warranty repairs and recalls...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        now i'm not sayin' that all dealership guys don't do top flight work...I am saying that i have a LOT better peace of mind when Sean(AMeanXtreme)and I do the repairs... I have had a few issues with warranty repairs and recalls...
        some of the best mechanics I know used to work at dealerships - all of them say the same thing, that they are glad they don't have to deal with that BS anymore.

the deal was this - my wife would be reluctant to agree to spending $500 when the dealership would do the work for free... granted, she lived in very close proximity to me during the whole GTO fiasco; but even so, she rightly thinks there are better ways of spending the money. As I said, I'm relieved - I don't need the stress. The guy doing the transmission work is part of the SAR group that I'm part of - so there's a great deal of trust that I have for him because I know him and his work very intimately.

interesting thing I did learn today - GM has an active recall on the drive-by-wire throttle system, apparently, sometimes it just stops working....
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 2, 2013, 08:32 PM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

a gear, a chain, and a fork is what's broke so far.... ugh

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            a gear, a chain, and a fork is what's broke so far.... ugh
            Care to edit your earlier opinion on how good H3's are for wheeling?

I do believe that if you go 4 wheeling (as they call it around here) that things will break, so I shouldn't be quick to judge... I have no idea how hard you drive off road... and while they may actually do well and go places some vehicles can't - I just never heard of the H3's being "tough".

...or is this just a freak, random failure that I shouldn't be using to judge all H3's?

Comment

borg-warner transfer case.... used in billions of GM, Ford, and Dodge trucks.... not seeing how you can attribute this to H3s

And yes, they're amazing. I kept up with a whole gaggle of Jeeps in what was basically a 2wd (and pulled two of them out of being stuck, in 2 wd).

Still, the issue was the chain. A link came apart and carnage ensued.

And finally, I like the H3 because it breaks no new ground - motor, transmission, transfer case, axles, frame.... all are off-the-shelf parts that have been produced since time began.... in short, they finally took a page from Toyota... try finding off-the-shelf parts for a Range Rover or Jeep

or put another way - all 4 wheel drive vehicles break - however, it's the cost-to-fix that will kill you (especially if it's a RR).

Cost to repair - replace with a rebuild transfer case $1,000 and (upgraded internals), replace - $600, repair $300 (new gear, chain, and upgrade fork)....

Also
              It's a lifted 4x4 with locking differentials, short wheelbase and a roof that won't crush you if you roll. It comes stock with 33 inch tires and independent suspension.

So no... I've owned every flavor of 4x4 there is and I still call these the best.
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 3, 2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

This is why I don't do "four wheeling"
                - it seems to turn any otherwise useful 4x4 into a constantly breaking and needing to be upgraded money pit.

SAR is of course a different pursuit which I respect... but the guys that do this stuff just for fun to see what will break next.... I'm just too cheap.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Off road is (currently) not my thing but I can see it, its just a diffrent challange how deep of a mud hole can you cross, how big of a rock can you climb. Not that far from how quickly can I get from A to B, or how fast will this go. Getting stuck, breaking, and washing a rig are big down sides for me, and a good off roader is normally no fun on the street
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

SBG, you ever run in Foster resivoir (sp?) by Sweet Home??
                    When the dam is drawn down, they open the mud flats to 4X4's for one day..
                    Knee deep in places.. Some of the hi dollar machines would hit a really deep one and there was always a crowd watching..
                    Even the new car dealers would bring brand new rigs

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      SBG, you ever run in Foster resivoir (sp?) by Sweet Home??
                      When the dam is drawn down, they open the mud flats to 4X4's for one day..
                      Knee deep in places.. Some of the hi dollar machines would hit a really deep one and there was always a crowd watching..
                      Even the new car dealers would bring brand new rigs
                      one of the most fun days of my life. I had a 74 Chev blazer on 44s with no top.... I may have taken 2 yards of that lake bed home with me

Russel, breaking at the track, breaking on the trail.... I honestly don't see much of a difference.

Still, in all of the breakage - I have yet to need to be towed home (knock on wood).... still, there may or may not be a Toyota FJ40, FJ55, or a Range Rover in my future as I really hate breaking my DD.

Comment

Other an burning up a clutch cable on the header I have never broke anything at the track. I have alway been able to drive home or on to the trailer. Having a stockish car with low power and street tires reduces the broken parts.

Trail trucks are like boats, Its good to have friend with them, just ride along!
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

You could use the vette as a DD or better yet finish the gas mileage Fiat?

Comment

Originally posted by OldMachinist View Post
                            You could use the vette as a DD or better yet finish the gas mileage Fiat?
                            Rescue Rig is my DD for now - though it's going to require another alternator soon. The Corvette has a vacuum leak, and I haven't fixed the rear differential yet. The Fiat, I only have everything left to do on it.

I also have the BMW as a DD, although the wife is using that right now, and it gave us a scare this am.... ug, as the saying goes - tits or tires = trouble.

Comment

It's baaaaccckkkkk.... that scream you heard, is mother nature - I just dug some furrows in her to let her know there is a next time coming soon! eerrr.. I mean, I'll go out and save the fuzzy bunnies and poor lost hikers... yeah, that's what I mean

Comment

Rut em up, uphill, down and thru pudles big enuff to swim in!

Comment

Working...
                                X