No announcement yet.

Sar h3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, this didn't work.... I now have a vibration - ah well, I'm not giving up on the concept, I'll simply find a more compliant material

this is graphite impregnated poly that I had laying around

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 8, 2013, 02:23 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

As I was driving into the infield last week, I thought of you as they inspected my undercarriage with mirrors. Would that compressor installation look suspicious to the average vehicle inspector? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
        As I was driving into the infield last week, I thought of you as they inspected my undercarriage with mirrors. Would that compressor installation look suspicious to the average vehicle inspector? :-)
        not if I was following Randal and his pipe-bomb surge tank

Comment

Tell them its and HHO fuel mileage improver. Works every time
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
            Tell them its and HHO fuel mileage improver. Works every time
            mileage improver on a Hummer? what's the point of that?

Comment

Didn't say it had to work =P or tell them you wanted 4mpg instead of 2mpg.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

So I agonized over buying from a sponsor, buying GM stuff, buying from a non sponsor - or just getting off my fat lazy duff and just building rock sliders myself... In any case, I need a jack point on the side of the vehicle - so here's the start

I had some hitch stock and some DOM tubing from a roll bar project - so I bent the bar up and here it is

I'm not good enough that a bit of heat and persuasion isn't needed (the bluing) when making similar parts

and this is test fitting - I'm going to leave them raw for a couple days to see what annoys me and what doesn't

I'll post finished pictures after they're painted (I already noticed one thing I'm going to change - the body tapers away from the frame - the rails are parallel... not when I'm done

I've also been working on a new differential mount. The first round was a hard, poly material that I use for unidirectional suspension points (like A-arms).... too hard, there's a nice vibration with it in place

so now I've gone a lot softer (75%) and have a new spacer in place

I feel like Goldilocks.... I have one other material that's about 60% stiffer than this stuff...

Comment

There are jacking points as well - sometimes being able to lift one side of the vehicle allows you to get unstuck pretty easily. They're also door guards

Comment

Where's the "like" button for the door guard part?

Comment

actually, the rocker panel is covered in a tough plastic - but it covers 4 layers of folded metal under it - so it is pretty tough as built... however, the plastic won't last long when sliding off a rock or a stump thus the addition (plus, it's angled so you can't jack on it).... ah well, major kudos to GM for the way they designed it. Now, if only, they'd made the fenders break-away like are on the Jeeps.... that, my friends, is a major cool feature... anyway, work progresses

I've been getting the intermittent P 0121 code (TPS)... so in the abundance of caution, I replaced all the parts that make up that system ($200) so that if it does happen again, when I take it to be fixed we can check those boxes...
                      (that includes MAF sensor, MAP sensor, Throttle body and the throttle pedal)

rock rails

there are a couple companies out there that make these, but at 500 plus 100 or so shipping (plus 3 weeks lead time).... and I have a pretty well-equipped shop... it seemed a bit foolish to not just build them myself. That said, I've got at least 10 hours in them (design/build) - so they're not quick or easy

Comment

painted.

I plan on stepping on this rail to get to the roof rack - I also would rather not slip off.... so a bit of aluminum oxide in the bedliner and I have a non-slip surface

steps:
                        spray bedliner
                        dump sand over the wet bedliner
                        let sit for a minute or two
                        dump sand off
                        spray heavy coat of bedliner over the top

I used this trick for my camper steps a couple years ago - it works really, really well

Comment

mounted, tested, plus one extra things
                          I figure if I can lift the entire vehicle on the sliders without damage, they should work fine on the trail

check

I really don't like the chrome nose

a bit of plastic coat, and it's fixed

of course, nothing is straightforward

but this thing has paid for itself

Comment

Plastic welder?
                            Work good, I guess if it paid for itself..

Comment

yep.... that little clip is a $300 clip - because it keeps the grill shell from rattling... on my wife's BMW, I hamhanded a plastic piece - nailed it back together with that little jewel.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                yep.... that little clip is a $300 clip - because it keeps the grill shell from rattling... on my wife's BMW, I hamhanded a plastic piece - nailed it back together with that little jewel.
                                Work kinda like a hot glue gun/big soldering iron?

Comment

Working...
                                X