Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sar h3

I guess I hadn't started a thread on this one
    As many know, I got this H3 to replace the POS GTO which replaced a prior H3.... I like my H3s

I've done basically nothing to it other than wheel it a couple times.... but for SAR, I need a winch
    Today I basically started scoping out what I needed to do

the winch

the H3

1st thought was put the winch where the plastic air intake is located..... and it may end up there, but there are issues with blocking airflow.... so I bit more searching
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

A buddy of mine in Tucson built a mount plate with dual receiver (male side) hitches. He put custom dual receiver hitches on the front and back of the truck and carried his winch in the cargo area. He could then opt for a front or rear mount rescue whenever he chose. Better approach & departure angles without a big honkin' hunk of winch & cable hanging out in the wind too...
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Ive seen that moer than a few times...might be a better option. Then you have the choice to head or tail in
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
        A buddy of mine in Tucson built a mount plate with dual receiver (male side) hitches. He put custom dual receiver hitches on the front and back of the truck and carried his winch in the cargo area. He could then opt for a front or rear mount rescue whenever he chose. Better approach & departure angles without a big honkin' hunk of winch & cable hanging out in the wind too...
        valid considerations, except in my case:
        1) having it permanently attached means it's not banging around in the back of the car - or easily stolen
        2) I have bent that type of set up on an off-camber pull because its leverage point is so far in front of the pivot point (the axle).
        3) the winch (at least at current plans) will be behind the grill and out of attack/departure angle issues.
        4) forward is the most used position because the folks behind you can always pull you backwards; most times at least one rig needs to get to the top to pull the others up. Also, behind means longer cables - which means greater resistance over the distance.
        5) and while this is NOT a recommended method, desperation has caused a cable to be run under a vehicle to pull it backward - however most times you can do a 3 point turn by pull the rig around with the winch.
        Still, Rescue rig may (presuming it stays in the fleet) get a mobile winch for the back to pull cars up. Back in the day, winches were really expensive, nowadays, they're pretty inexpensive so you can have two
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 4, 2012, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Doing a search for H3 winch on Google Images shows most are mounted in one of two locations. In front of lower grill, or between the front tow hooks, Get one of those old licence plate gas doors and mount the winch behind it, No one will know its there (Can not steal what they can not see!)

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
            Doing a search for H3 winch on Google Images shows most are mounted in one of two locations. In front of lower grill, or between the front tow hooks, Get one of those old licence plate gas doors and mount the winch behind it, No one will know its there (Can not steal what they can not see!)

That's probably where it will land.... only issue with that spot, how to you get to the winch, freewheel control?

Comment

hand hole?

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

There's an air diverter behind the intakes that direct the air to the radiator - that blocks any above access.... I'm thinking it'd be clever to use Dzus fasteners to fasten the center bit onto the truck. At this point, that's a solid piece all the way across, but cut it and put some aluminum bits behind it and it becomes removable - it would leave the diverter in place, and would allow reaching below it to access the winch.... thoughts?

Comment

I welded pieces to a cherry picker to use it off the back of the pickup... Bent the male end! Just picked up an engine/tranny... Felt strange.. Looked and it was bent to the ground..

So I see where you do not want to reciever mount...
                  Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 5, 2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

one winch has up to 36,000 lbs of pulling power, the other 30,000 lbs (double snatch block pull)...

Comment

well, tonight's the night to wench... err winch
                      "stock" with a push bar I put on

scouting locations

hmm.... right behind that license plate looks good

remove air duct

of course you have to take the entire bumper off to remove the air duct

another JC Whitney "fits this application"

time to start planning some more

this looks promising

note, there's always a note that H3 Alphas need to use the more pedestrian other H3 brush guard.... now I know why

even with the cut, it's still too far forward

cut the lower part of the tabs that hold the tow hooks

benefit of doing it there is that's a great point of reference for the front

where I finished tonight

Tomorrow I'll weld the brackets to the plate, then drill holes in the frame to mount the wench.. er winch.... the snatch is in the back, two of them

Comment

talking to myself again...

so it's finally where it needs to be

DAMMIT

a bit more progress

dang, if I hadn't told about the drilling the hole in the condensor, it'd look like I knew I was doing

eventually, I'll hinge the license plate... but for now, I just moved it up

Comment

I still say you work quick!

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Looking good... Holes and all.. Did you bump the disconnected ground wire to the condenser?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Looking good... Holes and all.. Did you bump the disconnected ground wire to the condenser?
                              oh no, I own this one - I drilled it. Just a moment or two before I had this really strong impression I should put a piece of metal plate between where I was drilling and the condensor.... d'oh - oh well, go big or go home huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X