X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carson top it

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
      Can you race it with the top down? Dad said NASCAR used to run convertibles with the tops down.
      IIRC, the answer is "NO" without a lot more roll cage.

Dan

Comment

• So Dan, what's the verdict on Mutt's turbo?

Click image for larger version

Name:	how-much-boost-sir-all-of-it.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1246547

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	Tuning.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	1246551

Tuning strategy ......
          Last edited by Red_Kitty; June 22, 2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	lOHsV.png
Views:	139
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	1246553

More tuning memes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
              So Dan, what's the verdict on Mutt's turbo?

Click image for larger version

Name:	how-much-boost-sir-all-of-it.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1246547
              Tim at Tim's Turbos is coming up with a strategy which I will, of course, implement. Stay tuned.

LOVE the memes!

Dan

Comment

• Hi Dan

Are you back from Bonnevile and prepping for Arkansas yet?

Comment

• Back from Bonneville but no September ECTA for me. The new turbo arrived yesterday (I'll post pics later today) so I'll have to work it into the truck, decide how to handle the external wastegate (first time for that), etc. Besides, I blew the budget at Bonneville so I'm currently digging the car account out of the hole. I'll miss you guys!

Dan

Comment

• Here's the promised pics:

Here's the stock one on the left, the one I've been running (tops out at 25 PSI) in the middle, and the new one at the right. Note that the new one and the one in the middle LOOK about the same but the impeller in the new one is new and improved and the hot side housing is significantly smaller. This will allow the assembly to spin faster and pump a LOT more air. SO much to learn about turbos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2065.jpg Views:	1 Size:	340.3 KB ID:	1250868
                    Here you can really see the difference in the hot side as well as the lack of a built-in wastegate which was also restricting the turbo's ability to make boost.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2066.jpg Views:	1 Size:	329.3 KB ID:	1250869

The compressors (cold side) really look about the same - and they almost are other than the improved compressor wheel. The real difference in this setup is the turbine (hot side) that will, as noted, spin the whole deal a lot faster. Thanks to Tim Scott (Tim's Turbos) for talking me thru all this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2068.jpg Views:	1 Size:	375.9 KB ID:	1250870

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; September 7, 2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• OK. Back on the big turbo installation:

Got going again today. Actually a couple of days ago. I sandblasted the exhaust manifold, a heat shield, and a spacer plate I made for the last turbo swap. I figured a can of VHT was in order and found out that in the instructions on the can (anyone ever read the can?) it says to use their high-temp primer and then the paint so I found it at Advance and used it as directed. Who knows if it'll hold up any better but it's worth a try.

Head all cleaned up. 3M Rollock pads are the cat's fanny!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2113.jpg Views:	0 Size:	267.6 KB ID:	1257448

The manifold had been leaking so I coated the gasket with Permatex copper gasket sealer. I've used this or K&W Copper Kote (whichever one I can find) for years with excellent luck. This is a good, heavy coat. Here the studs are back in and ready to accept the manifolds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2114.jpg Views:	0 Size:	311.7 KB ID:	1257449

And the "new" exhaust manifold - the red one. I say "new" because these have been out of production for decades but I bought one from one of the members of the Mercedes Forum that I'm on. Note that the unpainted one has an EGR passage in the right front of this pic and the red one doesn't. I doubt I'll get much performance boost but the EGR passage is in the way of the bigger snail on the big turbo.

I'd have had the manifolds back on today but the heat shield (in the back of this pic) didn't quite fit the red manifold so I had to rework it a tad and repaint it so it's sitting there drying.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2115.jpg Views:	0 Size:	296.9 KB ID:	1257450

Hope to have the manifolds back on tomorrow and maybe get going on the turbo install.

Dan

Last edited by DanStokes; December 6, 2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Aiming for the April meet Dan?

Not sure if i'll make it but I may be there, as my son has his Masters graduation ceremony on the Saturday morning in Detroit. I could do Friday and Sunday if I fly back to Detroit from Memphis in the middle. Was planning on doing the June meet instead, but Steve told me there won't be one next year due to limited support. April would be my last event with the Challenger - new car planned for October.

Comment

• Shooting for April (shouldn't be a problem). I'll babysit Red Kitty if you decide to fly home for the graduation. Hope to see you there!

Dan

Comment

• Charging ahead. Following are pics of mounting the manifolds w/new gasket. I'd hoped to fit the turbo today as well but I have to take it into the Diesel shop here in town to see if they can dig up an exhaust flange. I have the factory flange and the one that fit the last turbo but this one, of course, is different so I have the new turbo and the 2 flanges in the van and ready to take in tomorrow. I'll see what they can do.

I followed Victor Allen's - friend and mechanic extraordinare - suggestions and flattened the manifolds and used a light swipe of copper RTV to try to assure a seal between the head and the gaskets.

Intake manifold after flattening w/180 grit sandpaper on the saw table. I've used this technique before with great success.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	314.7 KB ID:	1257577
                            Both manifolds flattened. The exhaust manifold, being cast iron, needed 80 grit to get it smoothed out - seemed to be a bit more out of whack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	340.3 KB ID:	1257578

And finally the manifolds back in place. I painted the exhaust manifold red in hopes I'd remember that red = hot and not lay my hand on it. I've never done that but I can see where I might. BTW - the media blast cabinet is a Good Thing even though it's old and iffy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	347.9 KB ID:	1257579

The beat goes on.......

Dan
                            Last edited by DanStokes; December 8, 2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Well Bummer! Turns out that nobody in town has the exhaust flange for this turbo. It's evident a pretty standard flange - 3" - but nobody has one. So this project is back on idle as I wait for the flange which is on the way. Back to some welding on the Volvo...... (I'll post pics as I get going on that one).

Dan

Comment

• Hi Dan

Playing with a couple of the online calculators, I'm guessing you will need another 50bhp to get from ~136 to ~150mph - about 20-25% more than you had before. Do you have available fueling capacity to deliver that?

Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X