Mutt The Race Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase II of the gear change:

David was finally able to come over today and set up the rear. He has a set-up tool from T&D and, when used with a 1" machinist's set up block, worked PERFECTLY for pinion depth.

Here's the set-up tool sort of in place. At this point the machinist's block was not in place but I couldn't get a pic of everything in use as the entire rear casting was full of tools and hands. This sorta gives the idea of how it's used, however. The adaptors clamp in to the bearing saddles with the crossbar and dial indicator in place (as seen in the pic) then the bearing is held into it's race, the 1" block is held on the bearing, and the dial indicator is swept to it's lowest reading. David did some magic math from there and came up with the right shims (the math is in the T&D paperwork).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1973.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	1243834
    Then the shims are installed, the rear (large) bearing is installed on the press, the front bearing and seal are set in the front of the case, and the companion flange is used to push the whole deal together followed by squishing the crush sleeve until the bearing preload is where it needs to be. You could use an inch/lb deflecting beam torque wrench but I don't have one and David has done enough of them that he can do it by feel. Then the carrier is loaded and the backlash is set by shimming the side bearings until it meets the spec - in this case, we set it to 0.008". After torquing the carrier caps it was rechecked and read 0.0075 or so - just right.

The proof is in the gear contact readings a follows:

Accel side - note the contact dead in the middle on the ring gear teeth:

Name:	IMG_1974.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	1243835

And the decel side - again, right in the middle:

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	1243836

Not quite done as I have to pick up the new carrier bearing studs at the post office tomorrow (I missed the delivery.....) and install them, then install the rear girdle and fill the diff - minor stuff.

This should work perfectly! Now, will I have enough HP? Who knows - but the track will tell us.

Dan

Comment

• Hi Dan

I see you're signed up for the June event. Good luck with the mods - I won't be there this time, but hopefully in September.

Comment

• It's almost done. I put the axles back in, replaced the carrier bolts with studs, and installed the rear end girdle. To my surprise the only performance goodies (studs, girdle) I could fine were from TA Performance, the (mostly) Buick guys. Nice stuff and not stupid expensive. I started filling the rear but ran out of time - probably finish up tomorrow.

Andy - thanks for the kind words. I'll miss you in June and I'm not yet sure if I'll make the September meet but if you'll be there that's an incentive!

Dan

Comment

• Pics as I finish up. My SD card adaptor has evidently bit the dust so I got a new one and here's the pics:

The studs in place. For some reason the only performance bits I could find for the GM 7.5 axle come from T-A Performance Products (the Buick folks) but their stuff is well made and looks good and is not crazily priced so I'm OK with that. The studs torque in at 10 ft/lb, and the nuts go to 70. I'm not sure if the rear really needs these but it can't hurt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1976.jpg Views:	1 Size:	398.1 KB ID:	1244029

And the girdle in place. Again, probably overkill but it shows the lengths I'll go to get a drain plug anywhere I can get one. Besides, it looks SO snazzy! The cover bolts down then the support studs are set against the carrier bearing caps at NO MORE than 5 ft/lb (I used 4), and the locking nuts go to 20 ft/lb. All in all, pretty easy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1977.jpg Views:	1 Size:	305.9 KB ID:	1244030

Now to see if it does what I want it to do......

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; May 25, 2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• I have always liked those girdle covers. Preventing flex is always a good thing.

Did you originally blast the rear prior to paint? Looks like it’s holding up well.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Looks good! I needed a new cover for mine and I liked that the had fill / drain plugs so I got one for the mustang. Can't remember the brand but the are all about the same.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                I have always liked those girdle covers. Preventing flex is always a good thing.

Did you originally blast the rear prior to paint? Looks like it’s holding up well.
                Nope - just scrubbed it up with carb cleaner. It isn't perfect but looks pretty OK. Sadly, no one is canning that Chevrolet engine green anymore. The new stuff looks more like Ford engine blue and I have no clue why.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  Looks good! I needed a new cover for mine and I liked that the had fill / drain plugs so I got one for the mustang. Can't remember the brand but the are all about the same.
                  I have one on my 'Stang and like it. And thanks for the kind words! (Russell is one of the few people in the world that knows that my Stang actually exists.)

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I have one on my 'Stang and like it. And thanks for the kind words! (Russell is one of the few people in the world that knows that my Stang actually exists.)
                    Let me know if you want help tracking down those last few parts, and when you want me to come over for us to get it out of hibernation.

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Let me know if you want help tracking down those last few parts, and when you want me to come over for us to get it out of hibernation.
                      Yer ON! It'll take a couple of us to push it back into the hoist stall. I have replacement casters for the skates it's on and I think they'll make it easier but still, more hands are better. The Volvo is (I think) done as of yesterday and all I have left (at this point) on Mutt is to swap the boost gage so maybe it won't be TOO far in the future.

Dan

Comment

• Yer gonna need a 2 car hauler...

Comment

• Great to hear the Volvo is done! I got a great idea, if schedules allow I will bring the mustang down, you me and Dick can do to the dragstrip after we wake up the 'Stang!
                          Last edited by Russell; May 26, 2019, 09:10 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Great to hear the Volvo is done! I got a great idea, if schedules allow I will bring the mustang down, you me and Dick can do to the dragstrip after we wake up the 'Stang!
                            Best idear I ebber hert!
                            Go for it!

Comment

Great to hear the Volvo is done! I got a great idea, if schedules allow I will bring the mustang down, you me and Dick can do to the dragstrip after we wake up the 'Stang!
                              That would be fun. Stang is sort of a street/strip car (at least that was the goal) so it'll be a good test run. He's NOT a good LSR car - the top billows up like a parachute!

Dan

Comment

• Can you race it with the top down? Dad said NASCAR used to run convertibles with the tops down.
                                Last edited by Russell; May 26, 2019, 12:07 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X