Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
    Hi Dan

Playing with a couple of the online calculators, I'm guessing you will need another 50bhp to get from ~136 to ~150mph - about 20-25% more than you had before. Do you have available fueling capacity to deliver that?

Andy
    I have a ton of fuel and the ability to add more if required. The Diselmeken pump can push a lot of fuel and is readily adjustable.

An update: I had the exhaust flange welded to the exhaust bellows which is necessary to support the system properly. This is a stinker to weld as the bellows is paper thin but the flange is fairly massive. Billy at Wilmington Sheet Metal TIGed it for me (he also did the last one) and I think it'll work fine. I ordered the wastegate adaptor last night along with a 38mm to flange adaptor and when they arrive I can get serious about the installation. Can't figure out how to download those pics from Ebay so you'll have to wait (I'll work on it.....).

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; December 19, 2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• Hi Dan

- April is back on as my son's graduation will be later in the year.
      - 2020 rules for street cars have been posted on the ECTA website. 2009MY and newer can now run to 199mph without requiring extra rollbar (was 185mph), so that will help for the 1.5 mile if they run it; depending on wind direction won't need to lift before the speed trap to stay inside class limits.

Andy

Comment

Hi Dan

- April is back on as my son's graduation will be later in the year.
        - 2020 rules for street cars have been posted on the ECTA website. 2009MY and newer can now run to 199mph without requiring extra rollbar (was 185mph), so that will help for the 1.5 mile if they run it; depending on wind direction won't need to lift before the speed trap to stay inside class limits.

Andy
        Excellent! I hope Red Kitty has enough structure to stay together at those speeds in the event of roll over but it's SO stable that I doubt that's a real issue.

Along similar lines - the wastegate adaptor is scheduled to show up today and then I'll have all the bits to bolt up the new turbo and attending systems. I think I'll put off the installation until next Thursday so Young Asa and I can do it together - I think it will be fun for him.

Dan

Comment

• Next car will have a 6 point roll bar or full roll cage; i'm keeping an eye on a couple of C6 Corvettes for sale online at the moment in Michigan, and will be buying something in the spring to prep for the October meet.

Comment

• Andy- I have my buddy David's bender and a notcher here in the shop. Bring the Vette over and we can do the deed. There's even luxurious (well, adequate and cheap) guest accommodations. Also, we have a local steel supplier with DOM tubing for cheap so we can DO this thing!

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; December 27, 2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Parts continue to trickle in for the new turbo. I needed an adaptor that fits between the exhaust manifold and the turbo inlet so I could divert some exhaust gasses and control the turbo. The old turbo had an integral wastegate and the new one uses a separate (non-integrated?) wastegate so I had to find some way to get access to the exhaust stream ahead of the turbo inlet. Turns out that I'm not the first Bozo who needed this and there are units (several styles) on Ebay that accomplish exactly that.

SOoooo - now it gets tricky. Yesterday I tried to do my initial attempt at fitup and it was a no-go. A careful look showed that one side of the tube that directs exhaust to the wastegate was a bit too close to allow the mounting studs (more on those later) to slide past the tube. I hope you can see the snag in the following pic - the offending hole is at the bottom of the shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2133.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	1259019
              So I heated the tube and used the ball end of my small ball pein to dink it out of the way. After a couple of heats here's the result:

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	1259020

And now the shot thru the "bad" hole: Also note that 38mm flange-to-clamp adaptor which came in a couple of days ago. this makes for a much more flexible mounting system.

Name:	IMG_2135.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	1259021
              My angle might be off a tad but it does clear the stud.

And speaking of studs - no one local had 10mm x 1.5 x 112mm (just under 4.5") studs in stock. Even my fall-back Albany County Fasteners didn't have them. Thanks to the Internet I found them in Tacoma Washington at Tacoma Fasteners and they're on the way. These will thread into the exhaust manifold then clamp the wastegate adqaptor and the turbo in place. They ought to arrive Monday or Tuesday.

I also need a 90 degree elbow to get the wastegate out of the engine accessories (starter, radiator, etc.) so that's on its way from another source though I don't have an ETA yet. This came as a set with a 90 degree tube for the dump side of the wastegate which I don't know if I can use or or not so I'll be happy to see what shows up.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                And speaking of studs - no one local had 10mm x 1.5 x 112mm (just under 4.5") studs in stock. Even my fall-back Albany County Fasteners didn't have them. Thanks to the Internet I found them in Tacoma Washington at Tacoma Fasteners and they're on the way. These will thread into the exhaust manifold then clamp the wastegate adqaptor and the turbo in place. They ought to arrive Monday or Tuesday.

I also need a 90 degree elbow to get the wastegate out of the engine accessories (starter, radiator, etc.) so that's on its way from another source though I don't have an ETA yet. This came as a set with a 90 degree tube for the dump side of the wastegate which I don't know if I can use or or not so I'll be happy to see what shows up.
                Tacoma Screw is in Kirkland and Puyallup - which does beg the question "what did they hope to achieve by the name?" to which I answer, "dunno, but at least you don't get a whiff of Tacoma when you get screws from them"..... so much win.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I think the guy I spoke to at Tacoma Screw said that my studs were coming from "Tacoma" so maybe he meant generically (as in the Tacoma area) or maybe they have a warehouse there with cheap rent? Dunno - never been there. According to their website they also have branches in Idaho but that's not where my stuff is coming from.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    I think the guy I spoke to at Tacoma Screw said that my studs were coming from "Tacoma" so maybe he meant generically (as in the Tacoma area) or maybe they have a warehouse there with cheap rent? Dunno - never been there. According to their website they also have branches in Idaho but that's not where my stuff is coming from.

Dan
                    sad part about them, they used to be an 'everything' store, but they kind of cut back.... picture a McMaster Carr but storefront - I think their locations are not what helps them, they tend to be in rotten areas of town or places where are nearly impossible to just 'drop by' due to traffic or location.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• The studs arrived today and look exactly as promised. The tubing arrived too and is only sorta right. The elbow has the wrong flanges (too big) but the 90* bend that was supposed to be for the exhaust side is just right for the exhaust inlet to the wastegate. Still thinking about where I'll go from here.

Dan

Comment

• Metal Joining Experiment:

I have welded SS OK with the MIG, SS wire, and straight Argon. But I decided to try something new this time as I wasn't happy with my MIG results. I looked online and found info on silver soldering SS and decided to give it a try and so far so good. It's supposed to be good for 1200*F so it ought to be OK temp-wise. The rod is Harris Safety-Silv 45.

Here's the fist flange silver soldered on. Looks pretty decent if I do say so myself;

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2136.jpg Views:	0 Size:	303.0 KB ID:	1259825
                        And inside. One of the advantages is that it's really good about wicking the silver solder into the joint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2137.jpg Views:	0 Size:	259.4 KB ID:	1259826

Where this piece fits in the system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2138.jpg Views:	0 Size:	269.9 KB ID:	1259827

And under the hood. Here it's pointing toward the rear of the engine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	322.3 KB ID:	1259828

Or maybe here. It fits better here but it'll be harder to hook up to the exhaust pipe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	330.1 KB ID:	1259829

I need another clamp which I'm hoping a shop here in town will have. I'll check Monday.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; January 11, 2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Odd snag (though I've come to expect these).

Turbosmart evidently makes a great wastegate but for some reason they use unusual flanges which require unusual clamps. I need a 90* elbow to clear the starter but that means I need an extra set of flanges and clamps. Flanges I have, clamps, no. So I set out to track down a clamp which I figured would be no big deal. I was (as usual) wrong. My wastegate is their new Gen V and they've changed the clamps for some reason.

After a bunch of calling I found Ace Race Parts who deal in a bunch of these kinds of bits. They're going to order up a set of the flanges and clamps as used on the Gen V wastegates and then work out what of their stuff fits my wastegate, which is decent of them. So in a few days they'll either have one of their clamps that will work or they'll sell me the Turbosmart clamp. I can highly recommend Ace - GREAT customer service. Their prices on flanges and clamps are also very fair.

Here's the current logjam......

Click image for larger version  Name:	Inlet Flange.jpg Views:	0 Size:	378.9 KB ID:	1260000

It's weird that the Turbosmart website couldn't pull up the clamp even with the PN as stamped on the clamp shown in the pic.

Dan
                            Last edited by DanStokes; January 14, 2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Hey Dan

That's very complicated! I'm fairly sure this stuff is good for 30psi if you wrap it around a few times ......

Name:	b284a494-9a63-4668-b91c-a14a8df17ce0_1.4c8291c1c3b8f4abcb387cdb0b06b873.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1260084

Comment

Hey Dan

That's very complicated! I'm fairly sure this stuff is good for 30psi if you wrap it around a few times ......

Name:	b284a494-9a63-4668-b91c-a14a8df17ce0_1.4c8291c1c3b8f4abcb387cdb0b06b873.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1260084
                                I use a LOT of that! We used it at EPA to back up our V band clamp joints partly because we could see any leaks easily on the shiny foil and partly because it really did stop leaks when used properly. Good stuff. Note that you posted 3M brand - we like that around here 'cause they employ our oldest son who is currently brand manager for their line of PPE. Might be able to get you a deal on earphones!

I think my buddy Dick and I are heading up to Loring this summer just to be different. Neither of us have ever raced there so it'll be an experience. Any input anyone?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X