Mutt The Race Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I think my buddy Dick and I are heading up to Loring this summer just to be different. Neither of us have ever raced there so it'll be an experience. Any input anyone?
    Luke, David and I took the "Firecracker" to LTA's first event and it is a nice venue ... but, it is a long, long, LONG drive up there. Also, keep alert for Moose, you don't want to hit one of those beasts.

Comment

• I'd heard that they have "Moose Patrol" down at the Big End. Silly - but I'm glad they have 'em on their radar.

We're aware of the length of the tow. We're figuring 2 long days from here, maybe 3. We'll be both be retired by then (Dick is still working for now) so we have time.

Dan

Comment

• When you're young you have Time and Energy but no Money.
        When you get older you have Money and Energy but no Time.
        And later when you finally have Time and Money, you no longer have Energy.

~ Annette Gulick

As you know, LSR requires all three ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post
          When you're young you have Time and Energy but no Money.
          When you get older you have Money and Energy but no Time.
          And later when you finally have Time and Money, you no longer have Energy.

~ Annette Gulick

As you know, LSR requires all three ...
          'Zakly!

Actually, I DO have energy - but I get it in about 3 hour spurts. So I start after lunch and do a bit 'till I run out of steam.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; January 17, 2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I think my buddy Dick and I are heading up to Loring this summer just to be different. Neither of us have ever raced there so it'll be an experience. Any input anyone?

Dan
            I looked at LTA last year because they offer a 1.5 mile course, but in the end decided against it as it doesn't suit my car;
            - It's another ~300 miles from Detroit vs. B'ville so I would need 2 days each way to drive there,
            - I'd be limited to 175mph and 1 mile by their "supercar" rules so can't use the extra track length anyway, and
            - They also have a requirement that "supercars" can't run with antifreeze which would just make things more complicated for the whole exercise.

2. This class participates in timing at the length of 1 mile with no exceptions or special dispensations. Failure to begin deceleration after 1 mile will be grounds for immediate dismissal of the team and potentially the entire supercar class from the event.
            3. Vehicles speed is strictly limited to 175 mph. Failure to comply with this limit will be grounds for immediate dismissal of the team and potentially the entire supercar class from the event.

2.10 VEHICLE OPERATING CONDITION:
            A: All vehicles must have all 4 tires, rims, and brakes inspected (removal may be necessary).
            B: All vehicles must remove all antifreeze from the cooling system (antifreeze is flammable).
            C: Vehicles must be in complete, running, and fully functioning condition acceptable for racing.
            D: No leaks from the vehicle are allowed.
            E: All loose items within the vehicle, glove box, and console must be removed.
            F: All floor mats must be removed.
            G: Fire extinguishers must be securely mounted per 2.1.
            H: Fresh brake fluid is recommended.

The Loring Timing Association will make NO EXCEPTIONS to and WILL NOT tender refunds to participants who fail to meet these technical requirements.
            Last edited by Red_Kitty; January 18, 2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• I remember the extra 1/2 mile created oiling issues for quite a few mile racers. I think drain back was the primary problem.

I doubt you will encounter that problem but good to put it on the radar.

Steve

btw I owe you a small package... I will get it out next week.
              Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

• Thanks Steve! I've never had an oiling issue but probably a good idea to keep my eye on the gage a bit after the mile.

Small package - HUMmmmmmm? One advantage of being old is that if you ever mentioned it I've forgotten so now it's new again.

Dan

Comment

• Just when you thought I wasn't doin' nothin'......

Built a new pan for Mutt to get the pan further out of the way of the steering linkage. I needed more clearance from the pan and I'll also raise the engine a tad which ought to let the wheels turn more allowing better maneuvering in the pits. The new pan is all gas welded - or, a poor man's TIG. I'm pretty happy with it. I leaked checked it with water before taking it to Area 51 and it took a bit but I stomped out all the leaks.

Be right back - I have to resize the pics from my new iPhone.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0045.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	181.1 KB ID:	1262498Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG950041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	1262499
                  Success!

The round part clears the oil pump pickup (not easily modified) and was made from a length of thick exhaust tubing. The pan is more or less 14 gage steel (the German equivalent) and I had my metal supplier cut me a piece and bend it on the press brake as I figured I'd have a heck of a time bending that - $6.00 (steel, the cut, and the bend) well spent. Then I cut away everything that didn't look like the hole I'd made in the pan. Took a little figuring but I think I have something here. I got my fitup close enough that much of this was fusion welded (what we called it in the olden days when we didn't need filler rod). If you look at the weld along the bottom of the pan (the top in the bottom pic as the pan is upside down) you'll see a pretty tight little bead. I also welded from the inside which seemed to have made a pretty leak-free weld joint.

I clamped to a hunk of 1/4" steel plate as I welded it to keep it fairly flat and that seem to have worked though it does have a tad of a bend. The pan has a gillion screws in it so I think it'll lay down flat.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; February 12, 2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Back on Mutt now that the Volvo is back with its owner.

I removed the turbo for now so I can get to the engine mounts. I mentioned some time back that I wanted to raise the engine to facilitate steering clearance. Here's the pics:

An overall shot of the engine bay. Probably doesn't look any different but the engine now sits 3/4" (19mm for our off shore friends) higher. I know it will have some influence on driveshaft angles but I think it'll be minimal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.2 KB ID:	1269258

Steering clearance: This is the passenger's side. It actually sprang back a tad - it'll turn until the arm taps the pan. When it was lower the inner tie rod end nut would touch the pan first significantly limiting steering travel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeR 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	295.7 KB ID:	1269259

And the driver's side: Again, it turns until the arm touches the pan. This is more better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG950099.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.8 KB ID:	1269260

And the passenger side mount with the modification:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeR 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	313.1 KB ID:	1269261

I think I'm ready to bolt the turbo back in and start its plumbing.

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; May 3, 2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• This is such a neat truck! I look forward to seeing it under it's own power again! I love the different builds like this, it reminds me of the first issue of Hot Rod Magazine I ever got, it was the March '07 issue with Freiburger's "F-Bomb" on the cover, and in big letters "Dare to be different", and was filled with cool stuff where guys truly built their cars. not just threw money and parts at a "build".
                      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                      1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                      2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
                        This is such a neat truck! I look forward to seeing it under it's own power again! I love the different builds like this, it reminds me of the first issue of Hot Rod Magazine I ever got, it was the March '07 issue with Freiburger's "F-Bomb" on the cover, and in big letters "Dare to be different", and was filled with cool stuff where guys truly built their cars. not just threw money and parts at a "build".
                        Thanks! I grew up in an era when that's how all cars were built. Other than the Barris Brothers, SOCAL Speed Shop, and a few others there were no professional shops and we all just figured out how to do stuff. My working career involved making engines bolt up to the dyno and then working out instrumentation, etc. so I have a lot of experience making stuff work that wasn't supposed to work together. On this project I have bought a bit of specialized skill from Dieselmeken (injection pump) and Tim's Turbos (obviously, turbos) but the rest is all me in my backyard shop.

What's interesting is that I have a STRONG preference for Chevy power in Chevys, Ford power in Fords, Buick power in Buicks, etc. and yet to work in LSR I find myself with the Mercedes in the S-10. You do what you have to do I guess.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; May 5, 2020, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Yeah I'm about the same way with brand matching, but I haven't faltered yet! LOL!

its kinda funny though, because the aftermarkets are almost forcing people back to just making stuff work and figuring it out old school, with new school parts. The "Sloppy Mechanics" have been making all sorts of neat work arounds for things that are needed, but not otherwise available, or silly expensive when they don't need to be.
                          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                          1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                          2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• Got a little more done today then ended up making a way-to-extensive parts run for a simple little part.

The other day I made a bracket to stabilize the oil pressure sender. It's sort of suspended mid-air in the hose that connects the ports for the oil cooler (that I don't run) and would wiggle w/o some bracketry. So I let the paint dry for a couple of days while I did some other stuff and installed it today - I'll grab a pic tomorrow.

Then on to reinstalling the turbo. So I slid on a gasket, slid on the waste gate adaptor, and son-of-a-gun, no more T03 turbo gaskets (I thought I had at least 2). No problem, I tell myself, I'll just run down to the Advance at the end of the street and pick one up. Five parts stores later I have one in my hot little hands and it came from Auto Zone where I never find ANYTHING I need. Goes to show you don't never know.

Pics tomorrow.

Dan

Comment

• went to O'Reilly's today to get seam sealer... looked on the shelf, asked the masked man to find it, he looked it up on the computer then looked at the shelf. I then suggested he look in the back because that stuff ain't cheap.... just think, if I had wore a mask, I'd be an employee there
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                went to O'Reilly's today to get seam sealer... looked on the shelf, asked the masked man to find it, he looked it up on the computer then looked at the shelf. I then suggested he look in the back because that stuff ain't cheap.... just think, if I had wore a mask, I'd be an employee there
                                I understand why we're wearing masks and being at VERY high risk I do so but I can't seem to shake the idea that everyone is a robber. I constantly fight the urge to stick my hands way up in the air.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X