No announcement yet.

Mutt The Race Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still not quite sure why you wiped a bit of silicone off.... Did they take the mole off Marilyn Monroe? a bit of silicone here and there only adds to the class
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      still not quite sure why you wiped a bit of silicone off.... Did they take the mole off Marilyn Monroe? a bit of silicone here and there only adds to the class
      Didn't wipe any off (except a tad that got on the outside of the cover - fingerprints and such) but I did wipe it evenly around the groove in the gasket with hopes of getting an even bead.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Didn't wipe any off (except a tad that got on the outside of the cover - fingerprints and such) but I did wipe it evenly around the groove in the gasket with hopes of getting an even bead.

Dan
        after, did you smack the valve cover and incantate "that ain't goin' nowhere?"

Comment

after, did you smack the valve cover and incantate "that ain't goin' nowhere?"
          Nope. I'm not that sure it'll be leak-free. But I DO have a Plan B.

Dan

Comment

Nope. I'm not that sure it'll be leak-free. But I DO have a Plan B.

Dan
            without the incantation, it's almost guaranteed to force Plan B.

Comment

without the incantation, it's almost guaranteed to force Plan B.
              Well, it's held on with 4 studs and doesn't weigh much so it's not going anywhere but that's not the challenge. It's going somewhere w/o marking its territory that's the issue. Sometime in the next few I'll pull him out and let the Benz run for awhile and see what I "spot". Besides, if it "ain't going nowhere" it's a double negative which means that it IS going somewhere. Now I'm stuck in a logic loop trying to decide if that's good or bad........

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; April 2, 2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Well, it's held on with 4 studs and doesn't weigh much so it's not going anywhere but that's not the challenge. It's going somewhere w/o marking its territory that's the issue. Sometime in the next few I'll pull him out and let the Benz run for awhile and see what I "spot". Besides, if it "ain't going nowhere" it's a double negative which means that it IS going somewhere. Now I'm stuck in a logic loop trying to decide if that's good or bad........

Dan
                glad to be of service, clearly my work is done here. For now

Comment

Dan
                  Don't mind Aaron too much.... I do not know that he realizes that you are a "transplanted Carolinian" He was just tryin' to 'splain it in generic Southern Good-Ole Boy dialect....Y'all good tho' ?
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Silver Bullitt....
                    Being a "Displaced Yooper" and trying to converse with Southern Job Site Mechanics can turn into some Hilarious Stories !!!!

Comment

• Captain,
                      Born and Raised in "Is this Heaven" Northeast IOWA, and having served in the USNavy in Virginia, I can relate.... Nice De-rail tho.... Back in Iowa for good since 1992
                      Last edited by silver_bullet; April 3, 2021, 08:10 AM.
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• beagle will be so proud of me

Comment

• Still leaking. So I entered Plan B........

It was leaking mostly from the driver's side (that's the left side for you Aussies) and it turns out fate was on my side. There's a boss at the head interface on the cam cover studs that's supposed to keep one from overtightening the gasket. The problem is that it doesn't allow much pressure down on the gasket and cam cover leakage is pretty common on this engine. I was planning to fix this by taking the studs to a machine shop and having them turn the boss down to squeeze the gasket more tightly but still prevent cutting thru the gasket with the cover.

So upon further inspection I found that the rear driver's side stud (there are 2 short studs on the left side and 2 longer ones on the right) has a boss about half as thick as the front one because there's a bracket that clamps down under the rear stud and make up the difference in gasket squish. So easy-peasy - remove the bracket and steal the other rear stud from my back-up engine so I can tighten the left side down a bit tighter which ought to fix the leak. Pics:

This shows the thicker boss (left front stud) and the thinner boss with bracket. The screwdriver is pointing at the boss in question.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0634.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	1292345

I pulled the studs with the ol' double nut trick. I imagine all you guys know this but I'll elaborate if anyone wants to know. Send a PM and I'll tell you. It worked easily on these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0635.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	901.2 KB ID:	1292346

After screwing in the 2 studs w/thinner bosses I made a replacement bracket that goes on top of the stud instead of under it. It's interesting that the bracket in question (see pic #1) actually put the point of attachment at about the same height as the new bracket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0637.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	1292347

I'd have finished this tonight but lost a Jesus clip so I'll stop by the hardware tomorrow then reassemble the throttle linkage. Eager to test out my fix (fingers crossed)
                          Last edited by DanStokes; April 17, 2021, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• I got a new E-clip and reassembled. Dry as the proverbial bone!! My tail's waggin' as as far as I can tell Mutt's ready to run down the track. Also as far as I can tell he feels MUCH more responsive so I think the new turbo's a win.

Front of the cover on the leaky side:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0640.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,023.2 KB ID:	1292419

And the back area: I could only clean the injector up just so well so #5 injector shows a bit of oil that I wasn't able to spray out w/brake clean.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0642.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	955.4 KB ID:	1292420

The other side and the rear of the head are hard to photograph but are dry as well. I'm super pleased.

Dan
                            Last edited by DanStokes; April 19, 2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X