Mutt The Race Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutt The Race Truck

As promised, it's time to let the cat out of the bag. I was holding back because as a substitute for money I try to boldly go where no man has gone before and find classes that I have a screamin' chance in.

So here's the deal. My friend Terry (trussell on here) had a S-10 with a blowed-up SCB (in North Carolinian). Seems his cheap LSR engine finally met it's Waterloo. I'd been thinking for some time about the small displacement Diesel truck classes (there are no Diesel car classes) and really wanted to hit one of the not too big and not too small classes. Guys have run the VW Rabbit based PU so there's a higher bar to jump over for those. Anyhow, I found a MB 300SD with a torn up interior and some rust but it ran OK. Not perfect but OK. The trans had all the gears and so I hit on the idea of making the swap.

Turns out Terry was thinking he could take the old Buzz Bomb Camaro to new heights and I was thinking a F/DT would be pretty cool so we worked out a deal. So following are series of pics - ENJOY!

If you look carefully you'll see one shot of the holey block. I've had fun telling folks that I'm going to scrap a blown SBC!

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DanStokes; February 10, 2018, 06:20 PM.

Hmmm interesting...
    Gonna street drive it too?

Comment

It'll get on the street - while on the trailer. That way no plates, insurance, etc. My race cars have to travel the cheap highway.

Dan

Comment

neat idea, it will be fun to watch - if you hear a noise west of you, that'll be me cheering you in Seattle
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I looked at those classes for a while. My take was a Ranger with the Ranger diesel.

Seemed ripe for the picking.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Let me know when you need a hand. Just could not keep that cat in the bag could ya! You get those parts back yet?
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

cool project!! put a freightliner logo on it (they went all MB diesels recently I believe)
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Will do, Russell. You and/or your Pop are always welcome. I wanted to wait until it was unlikely that anyone else would have the time between now and the first meet to build a challenger. With my budget, if anyone puts more $$ at it I'm toast!

The turbo is back and I'll get it mounted ASAP now that I'm actually wrenching on it. Tim (Tim's Turbos) had to clock it a bit to get it in my bullet-proof shipping box so I'll have to sort that out but it looks great. Should flow about twice what it did stock. Now to get more fuel in there. I think I have a vendor for that but I'll have to wait for the budget to recover.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  cool project!! put a freightliner logo on it (they went all MB diesels recently I believe)
                  I saved the tri-star from the 300SD. It'll go in the center top of the tailgate. No explanation, just a MB tri-star sitting there.

Dan

Comment

cool stuff dan, is biodiesel a legal fuel in the class? or does it have to be Dino based?
                    Last edited by nesabo; December 19, 2012, 06:30 AM.
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                      I looked at those classes for a while. My take was a Ranger with the Ranger diesel.

Seemed ripe for the picking.
                      I looked at that option too, Bob. The early Rangers had a non-turbo Mazda Diesel. There's no penalty for running a turbo in a Diesel class so it's kind of a necessity. The later ones ('85 & '86 IIRC) had a Mitsu turbo Diesel. Should be a great little truck but are evidently made of unobtainium. I bid on a couple on Ebay but the price shot up at the last minute to more than I could (or would) pay. Then Terry's truck came up and my mind got to thinkin'. Cage, fire system, already teched (good to 175 - no 'chute but I won't need that) - this could work.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; December 19, 2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                        cool stuff dan, is biodiesel a legal fuel in the class? or does it have to be Dino based?
                        Bio is legal at ECTA. Diesel is treated as "Fuel". Pretty sure it's a no-go at Bonneville as they have event Diesel which is really just a deal they have with the gas station up the road. But still, the tank has to be sealed. Someone wanted to make bio at the salt so it could be inspected then run it (forgot which vehicle) but the officials basically didn't want to go there. I don't know if there's any performance advantage.

Dan

Comment

what about propane or n2o? fuel or "gas"
                          Last edited by Russell; December 19, 2012, 06:48 AM.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

I know they use it (one of the other or both) in UDT (Unlimited Diesel Truck) but I'm not sure in MDT or DT. My rule book isn't sitting right here but I'll look it up. My guess is NO in DT but I should look.

Dan

Comment

sounds like a blast - which MB diesel is it? I hope and pray it's not the one I had.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X