1976 cj5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1976 cj5

About a month before the race car was killed later last summer I figured I'd give my son a toy that I always wanted. Growing up in South Florida and a mid-70's Jeep CJ was a lot of fun...

Several years ago I learned that a coworker had a 76 CJ5, it it mostly sat in his driveway. Fast forward to last July and he still had it. I picked it up from him for a very reasonable price, most likely because I had passed on an Infiniti G35 that I happened into while helping a friend out.

The vehicle was converted decades ago to a small-block Chevy. The usual adapter plate that we used back in the late '70's on the front of the T-18 is there, along with what equates to Trans-Dapt universal motor mounts. The engine is a stock 1978 Firebird 305 with the original "Dual-Jet" two barrel, the original T-18 trans, and the stock Dana 20 xfer case. A Dana 30 front axle and AMC 20 rear axle with Cragar Soft 8's. Stock manual drum brakes, stock manual steering, and fluids from 1952 all the way throughout.

Of course, it had the normal ills of a vehicle that has sat for the last 10 years. Fortunately even though it sat outside it sat on a concrete driveway pad. The PO would start it up every three months or so and circle the neighborhood. He had even bought a new battery, wheels and tires for it earlier in 2012. So the crud and crust that could have been thankfully was not, but it still had dead players for brakes, exhaust, clutch, heating, seats, wiring harness, all of it.

Unfortunately (or not) I did not exhaustively document this build quite as much as I have the other years-long projects I have. Most of it is cell phone pics, I figured that I would try that, and upon review of the results, I still don't like cell phone cameras!

Anyways, here's what it looked like it when we brought it home. Not quite forlorn looking just yet, but he was hurtin' inside. It ran, but certainly was not safe for road consumption.
    Attached Files
    Livin the dream

I pulled it into the shop, replaced the water pump and put a set of shocks on it. Started playing around with some spray bombs to see where we wanted to go. At this point, I let him romp on it for about a month. I allowed him to dig a decent-sized mudhole in the backyard and allow his buddies to come over and hang out and make RPM in the mud. Here's what it was looking like for playtime.

It had its ills such as the useless drum brakes, especially in mud, the motor mount geometry was off as bad to have the crank centerline below the radiator, scooping mud all the way and tossing it into the unshrouded mechanical fan.

Still, it was fun while it lasted.
    Attached Files
    Livin the dream

Comment

The first weekend in September he took it out and romped on it pretty hard. After a while I heard it get into valve float so I sent out to find that he had scooped enough mud up into it with the crank pulley being so obligingly low that I was surprised it would still run. Uh-Oh... 260* water temp. So, I took it back from him to decide what we needed to do.

At this point, many of you should be shaking your head side by side and muttering "Scope Creep". I figured, of course, that I would simply put it up in the air and fix what needed to be fixed. Little did I know upon a serious pressure washing what I would find.
      Attached Files
      Livin the dream

Comment

mud is good I'd own another Cj5, but I just flat don't fit
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The long and short of it was, I found a broken shock, two cracked leaf springs, leaking wheel cylinders all around (god what was in those lines it was *nasty*), the clutch was wasted, and we knew beforehand the exhaust and the radiator was shot - thusly the 260* temp. You know what the next pictures will be...
          Livin the dream

Comment

As the teardown continued things got deeper. Spider gear shafts that won't come out, stripped hubs, wasted U-joints, all of it. Metal fragments (chunks!) in every driveline fluid. Hmmmmm
            Attached Files
            Livin the dream

Comment

The original owner was a gadget freak. The dashboard was hilarious, so we cleaned it up.
              Attached Files
              Livin the dream

Comment

Ok, I gave in. 31 X 10.5 X 15" Super Swamper TSL's. They make quite the teenage roar at 40mph.
                Attached Files
                Livin the dream

Comment

We ended up rewiring the vehicle with a Painless harness. I seem to always have to do it, but electrical gremlins and I do not mix. We put power steering on it, 4-wheel disc brakes using stock 1977 stuff and I clearanced the knuckles for the calipers with a hand grinder. The rear brakes are a solution that is floating around the 'net. I used Suzuki Samurai rotors and Nissan 300ZX (1989) rear calipers, for they have the integral parking brake and all. A set of simple flat plates was created with a sawzall, drill press, and a hand grinder (ouch!) Simple fix, the Jeep had square brakes, the same size orifices and the same size lines front and rear. I'd recommend it to anybody faced with rear disc replacement. I did put one-piece axles in the vehicle because one of the two-piece axles in the rear had a wobbly hub.
                  Attached Files
                  Livin the dream

Comment

So this brings us to the current day. It runs, and a whole lot better than it used to. After a few flushings of the trans and transfer case most of the metal debris has lessened. I also moved up to 140W in the trans, for the 90W was not keeping the grind between first and second down. It will need ring and pinion both ends, they are very worn, and all i did was R&R them. I pulled the centersections out, pulled the ring gear, and installed a pair of the richmond lockers while it was apart, since, after all, it was open both ends from the factory and they were wasted to boot. I had to heat the rear carrier and spider shaft way too much for my liking to get it out.

I am waiting on the backordered soft top, and once I get that mounted it is off to be caged. There were some bad experiences with these short-wheelbase CJs when I was a kid, and it will have 4-pt harnesses I have from the legends car. The lap belts are in it, and the shoulder belt bar will be installed when the cage is done.

Now: Continue with it and Megasquirt it with the TPI setup I have? I dunno. The little thing runs perfectly as it is. I am on the fence about that, may save it for another project I have in the wings with an L98. We'll see.
                    Attached Files
                    Livin the dream

Comment

I can relate to the not fitting. I just got a new steering wheel FedEx via eBay that is 2" in diameter smaller. Tired of bashing my thighs on the wheel.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Boy, did that snowball grow from pebble to boulder very quickly.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

(snicker) ya, that usually seems to be a common malady with me. The wife is very understanding!
                          Livin the dream

Comment

I like it!
                            1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                            1997 Mustang GT
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X