No announcement yet.

55 Wagon Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha! But I have done mail order repair before, see here....

Peter's roof repair
    Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

That wagon looks very familiar is that the same wagon you are working on now or is that another one.
      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

The red wagon in the link is in Houston (Katy) TX. I used the one in the shop presently for a sample for some of the parts. Yeah, it's been here too long, I started it, then did two other cars, spent most of last year travelling for the day job, and now back where I have time in the shop again. Hope to finish it this year.
        Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Back to welding... All clamped up, again...

First set of tacks...

Weld penetration, the back side....

I had someone asking about the process I used with the mig, so I took the close ups to show it a little better... Weld, planish, grind, overlap, repeat...

Planishing as you go helps to keep the panel's shape in check...

Still needs a bit of bumping but not too bad overall..

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

so going from the marker light to the fender lip, how much time did you have in that ?
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

That was a little over an hours worth.....
              Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

ok so it would take me 4 or 5 hours then lol

Comment

Tonight's accomplishment, back to the driver fender. I still had the inner seam to finish up...

Bridging the gap where the flanges were cut out...

Installed....

A look from the front...

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Just checking in on the progress you must have been busy or unable to post lately I've been busy on other projects myself and unable to work on my Torino project so I know how that works.
                    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Yep, been working on the Studebaker dash, went to OJ's today in Berryville VA for a metalshaping demo (pictures forthcoming) and my daily driver left me walking (7.3 diesel) so we need to read codes on that tomorrow.... always something..
                      Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

oh that sucks! No good deed goes unpunished! Sorry to hear about the walking.
                        Sheesh, every time I look at one of your threads, it reminds me what a hack I am!
                        depressing and inspirational at the same time. LOL
                        Thanks for sharing all the tips and pics!
                        A.K.A. Brian
                        Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Started back in the wagon tonight, the rear hatch was a bit snug for the opening the factory provided.

Rather than risk certain chipped paint, we'll work to get the gaps more consistent...

Then the edge was ground to our mark and some c-clamp vise grips held all three pieces snug while they were tacked in place.

Then the top and bottom sides of the weld are ground flush with the panels. This removes the bulk of the weld and makes it easier in trimming the side....

Marked again....

....and ground to yield a much better gap. One down......

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Awsome job I've been waiting to see more progress on the wagon.

Comment

i never would of thought of using a simple tool like that to check the gap, wow !

Comment

I use my compass a lot for layout. Great for stepping off bolt and rivet holes, for example. And door gaps.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X