Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howz my truck in the background coming?

Comment

Slowly.... the owner of that project doesn't pay as well.. Still a couple brackets to complete on the air ride rear install...
      Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Continuing on to the driver's side, this one is a bit tighter at the bottom than the other, shows about 1/32 gap. Used the compass again to mark the cut line...

Tacked, welded, and welds dressed...

All finished for this evening, have a couple pin holes to fix, will get them when we do the top...

New gap is right at 5/32", or to be more technical, one paint stick width....

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

I must say your detail and instructions is way better thank most books I have read on the subject......I surely appreciate you blogging this......Powerblock TV needs you..........
          That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Amazing! Thanks for showing us how it is done!
            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
            79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Those front fenders look 100% better without that seam & no fear of bondo cracking down the road, nice job.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. Ok, one side left to go...

Trimming to fit..........

Welding the layers together....

After dressing the welds..... I do have a couple pin holes to fix, but the gap is looking much better.

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Nerves of steel. I know a lot of guys that wouldn't attempt that.

Comment

^^^^^^^ Including me! Nothing to building those damn hot rods - any idiot can do that (quote from my father many years ago).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      ^^^^^^^ Including me! Nothing to building those damn hot rods - any idiot can do that (quote from my father many years ago).

Dan
                      Did he know mine?? ...
                      What do you wana do that for?
                      What do you get out of it?

Comment

Thanks for the comments fellas. Spent tonight working on the tailgate jamb area, touching up some factory welds in preparation of installing the rear tail pan. Wasn't too long before Murphy's law reared its ugly head, and the lower part of the jamb showed some signs of rust lurking inside.

Cut open an access hole and cleaned out the inside as best I could for welding in some new metal..

For making a replacement, I have an "anvil" I made recently out of some scraps from under the welding table...

Here's the anvil end we'll use this evening as matched up to the original...

Fitting, trimming, and welding...

....and, as can be expected, one more to go... Until next time.

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

You make it seem so easy... I KNOW it isn't... Weld alot of doors shut.. Use lomg jack handles for gap filler.. Still blow holes in the tin..

Comment

If at first you don't succeed a little bondo will compensate.

Comment

When your this good at body work I don't think you need Bondo.
                              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

I've gotten completely away from Bondo. I now only use synthetic automotive body filler to repair iron oxide deterioration.

Words matter!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X