No announcement yet.

55 Wagon Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspiring - truly inspiring - thank you for taking the time to take pictures and post them.

One question about technique - is there any merit to getting a patch "close" then tacking and hammering to get it to final shape?

I've done this on floors and places that wouldn't be "finished" with good results - saved allot of time compared to getting the perfect fit before I started welding, but - those were not finished body panels.

Speaking of not using bondo - has anyone used the "lead substitute" with any luck? I've always wanted to try leading - but I don't see any reason to try to learn with anything but the "unleaded metal body filler" at this point. Just like if I'm going to learn to spray - it's wise to learn with HVLP.
    Last edited by milner351; April 4, 2013, 08:07 AM.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Responses in blue

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
      Inspiring - truly inspiring - thank you for taking the time to take pictures and post them.

One question about technique - is there any merit to getting a patch "close" then tacking and hammering to get it to final shape?

Normally you would want to shape your panel before installing it as if you work the shape afterwards you risk pulling some of the shape from adjacent panels, i.e: it may lose some of it's crown. Not saying it isn't possible, just IMO it may mean more work in the long run to get the correct shape into the panel..... or dictate the use of (more) filler

I've done this on floors and places that wouldn't be "finished" with good results - saved allot of time compared to getting the perfect fit before I started welding, but - those were not finished body panels.

Where those are areas that are more forgiving, one thing I have always suggested is to treat floor pans as if they are outer body panels. Not that it needs that level of detail, but it gives you the practice in honing your skills for when it is needed, when it does count. This includes everything from fitment to trimming to welding to planishing and finishing your welds. For example, another area on these tri-fives plagued with rust is the cowl where leaves and debris get trapped inside the kick panel vent gutter. Here is one I fabricated:

removed gutter:

Cut out:

Bent up:

Trimmed and fitted:

Welded up, welds dressed:

Comparison:

All parts welded in place:

This was as close to a dead-on reproduction as you could get, and when installed, nobody will ever see the work that went into the fabrication. But IMO it adds to your skillset to look at something, figure out the fabrication procedures needed, and make it happen. By always striving to do better with each fabrication or process, soon it becomes second nature. Everything is a process, I have found that extra time spent up front in fitment and trimming will normally be made up for with much less work in finishing. .

Speaking of not using bondo - has anyone used the "lead substitute" with any luck? I've always wanted to try leading - but I don't see any reason to try to learn with anything but the "unleaded metal body filler" at this point. Just like if I'm going to learn to spray - it's wise to learn with HVLP.

I haven't done leading myself, actually part of the work on this car was to remove some of the leaded seams on the quarter panel and butt weld them. But I did a metalshaping demo two years ago at OJ Higgin's shop where Tom Mancuso showed the lead process. Many high end shops still use leaded seams today, but like any process, anything done incorrectly will cause issues later down the road. The biggest issue I see is cleaning the tinning flux thoroughly afterward, as it may cause corrosion issues/paint adhesion issues if residue is left behind.
      Last edited by MP&C; April 4, 2013, 09:17 AM.
      Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Thanks again!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I leaded the tops of my fenders years ago to make them stronger... Man it was not easy! Get too impatient and next thing, you got a puddle on the ground.. It worked pretty good, I thought, but for the time invested/rewards. Not so much..

Comment

The guy that taught me how to do body work was a lead man for years and he said he was so glad when they came out with bondo less come backs. He also use to say when fixing a panel fix everyone as if you could see it and even if no one else knows it's there you do.
            Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Holy smoke! Is that a little bit of filler I see on the top of the headlight eyebrows? (if so makes me feel better)

Seriously, this is art...I'm especially amazed by what you accomplish with hammer and dolly and anvil, etc. I bought a cheapo hammer and dolly kit only to routinely make things worse with it...my excuse is I don't have a second pair of hands to hold whatever object I'm wacking.

Thanks again for choosing to share this with us. Inspirational for sure.
              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Actually the green is House of Kolor epoxy primer, the black is some spray paint I used for a guide coat. It still needs some metal bumping there to get rid of the guide coat you see.
                Last edited by MP&C; April 10, 2013, 06:36 PM.
                Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

nice!! digging the fabrication!!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by MP&C View Post
                    Actually the green is House of Kolor epoxy primer, the black is some spray paint I used for a guide coat. It still needs some metal bumping there to get rid of the guide coat you see.
                    OK, I'm back to feeling like a complete hack! Situation normal.
                    Last edited by mlcraven; April 10, 2013, 07:00 PM.
                    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Incredible! Thank you so much for sharing.
                      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                      79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Thanks for the comments! Had a couple hours this evening so I decided to remove some mud daubers nest....

Used a combination of burr grinder, roloc sander, etc, to clean out the rust and scale as best I could. Once the car is up on the rotisserie again, the troublesome voids such as these will get a good flood of paint.

As this one needs a bit more flange turned in, the inside will need a bit more stretch to go with it. A suitable hammer with more heft will come in handy.

A couple fitments and adjustments, and this is ready for the welder...

and with it getting late, we'll cover the welding on the next update..
                        Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

I am simply amazed with your metal forming talent. Thanks for the update
                          Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

What impresses me the most is no black thumbnail, only a true master can achieve this.

Comment

I'll add my "No $h!+"!!! Nice work without fancy tools. So what's my excuse?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by NightShifter View Post
                                What impresses me the most is no black thumbnail, only a true master can achieve this.
                                Hell, that last pic would be me with a cast on every finger...

Showoff LMAO!
                                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X