No announcement yet.

55 Wagon Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a turbo torch set up it has a pistol grip style gun that works really well for me. Plus it plasma cuts and it has a good rose bud. It's a Detroit DCH2000 it's got alot of cool attachments. But that one looks pretty comfortable too I love to gas weld.
    Last edited by pintoboy77; December 27, 2018, 06:43 PM.
    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• I was asked to bend the weld sample to a complete 180* to give the weld a "REAL" test. So the following video does such, please excuse the erratic movement of the camera operator, he also had to close the vise and position the sample as well..

Let’s take the weld over to a full fold and see how it holds up.. Sorry for the moving target video action, not enough hands...

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Awesome!
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• I know it gets said thousands of times but......from all of us on the bangshift site, thank you for the effort, insight and information. I and we appreciate it very much.

What tip size are you working with?
          Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

• Thanks guys!

Steve, Using an N1 tip for the 18/19 gauge, there is a chart on the TinManTech site that shows material thickness vs. tip size. The tips I bought were their "premium" line.. I think they give a softer flame...
            Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Best wishes to everyone for a healthy and prosperous New Year!

Some wagon updates, we've been tying up loose ends to get parts ready for upholstery and the roof ready for paint. With the arm rest details ironed out, E is unbolting the kick panels so we can cut out the speaker holes. Mike is getting the roof skin blocked out..

Here's the last detail for the console, we still need our latching mechanism. To keep a minimalist approach, we're going to flush recess some rare earth magnets in the lid, so here's our "pockets" that will be welded into the lid. Starting with some .065 wall tubing the end was faced on the lathe, and the end plates turned to a welding diameter of slightly undersized than the tubing, which allows for a good fusion weld.

Tacked:

Fusion welded using the TIG:

10-32 hex nut for magnet attachment is tacked on....

Trimmed to size...

The material scraps shown were to simulate what will be covering the console and lid for the "pull test". Three magnets appeared to work too well, so we are going drill holes and weld in our recess pockets to use two magnets but leave a space in the center for a third, just in case... Once welded and fitted we'll do one more pull test just to make sure the third one isn't needed..

We also had some parts water jetted out of stainless for our seat belt escutcheons, this should help us get better consistency between parts.....and save time..

Last edited by MP&C; January 2, 2019, 12:42 PM.
              Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• My only concern about the magnets would be how many metal shavings I seem to find that I never knew were there...

I can't describe how much I have enjoyed reading this thread and what I have learned. I'm not a body guy by even the loosest description of the word, but I am sure that I will be better off just by having acquired some knowledge and being able to apply it to other avenues.. Thank you

Comment

• Thanks Mark!

We got the holes added in the console lid for the pocket recesses.....

A bent fender washer and 3/16 rods serve to hold the pockets in place while tacked in with the TIG....

Test fit of the magnets...

Video of the console lid, testing the magnet pull for our latching method..

Using rare earth magnets to keep the lid clean of latch hardware

Last edited by MP&C; January 3, 2019, 09:19 PM.
                  Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Dotting the i's, crossing the t's... The insert for the bottom side of the console lid will be held in with a couple of 10-32 screws into a rivet nut. To insure the rivet nut is flush on the outside for the installation of upholstery, we want to provide a slight recess for the rivet nut flange. Here's the punch and die we made for the occasion, the bottom die is machined on the side to keep things from moving when clamped in the vise.

South Bend milling machine:

action shot:

Made up a punch and die so the flange on our rivet nuts would be flush for when the upholstery goes on....

inner parts installed...

ready for powder coat / epoxy primer, whichever comes first...

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• You DO realize that you've put more thought into that console than most of us put in our whole build, right? Amazing stuff.......

Dan

Comment

• Thanks Dan!

Picked up the console from the powder coater, the outside was done in satin black and will be covered in upholstery, the inside parts were done in wrinkle finish, this will be their "covering"

Tonight we worked on some stainless for our seat belt escutcheons..

Some measurements and geometry from high school should get us the correct size from the onset...

Using the mag brake and a 3/4 tube to bend our radius...

Tacked together using the TIG

Got running late and missed some pictures, but here's the part welded up and polished..

Our stainless escutcheon polished up for passing the seat belts through the rear kick panels

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• VERY Nice!
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• You cheated! You used math......

Dan

Comment

• Dan, lucky to still remember..

More progress, Mike installed the driver seat so we could mock up the lap belt for locating the lower escutcheon.

Then we contemplated vertical or parallel....

Remaining escutcheons were welded up...

Ideally the inner opening of the ring should rest on the midline of the sleeve. This provides for a good fusion weld and starts the formation of the radius we're looking for around the inside opening. Here's the various stages of welding the escutcheons:

The various stages of making our seat belt escutcheons using 16 gauge stainless.

Mike got the remaining openings cut in the arm rest and kick panels for the escutcheons...

Test fit...

…..and JB got started on the speaker trim rings for us...

The recess on the rear is for the stainless mesh...

Last edited by MP&C; January 14, 2019, 06:57 PM.
                              Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Any time I'm about to commit math I have to look it up on the Interweb. Lots of times they'll have a calculator so I can input the numbers I have and I don't have to actually DO the math part. Creative ignorance. (Did I ever mention that math is the reason I never pursued an engineering degree?)

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X