No announcement yet.

55 Wagon Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well after about 12 years, the Lennox TE150 is leaving the building. When we did the 35 Chevy louvers for Cody Walls, it hinted then of it's limitations. Simply put, not enough throat capacity with some of the automotive panels.

I bought this from Northwest Airlines and picked it up from their then recently closed DC-9 maintenance facility at the Hartsfield Atlanta airport. They had shut down the operation and moved maintenance overseas. This and a 100 ton drop press was the last that remained in an otherwise vacant building.

I've found another metalshaper that has a larger machine, but doesn't really use it for the capacity. So after negotiating the terms, he will be using this for the (mainly) motorcycle fabrications, where I will have more capacity for larger automotive panels.

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Good thing I got a tilt bed trailer last year, it came in handy.. As well as borrowing some piano moving jacks..

With rain in the forecast for Friday, we loaded up the TE150 Thursday night and left it inside. All ready for the 2+ hour drive to it's new home on Saturday..

With our "trade-in" situated next to the newsed machine, you get a hint to the comparison in size. What you don't see is what is used on the inside. The TE150 uses 1/2" thick steel plate on the sides, the TE250 uses 1" thick steel plate. Quite a difference, and easily noticed when moving..

Winch helps with the uphill movement..

We made another stop and also picked up a small spinning lathe, a Model 18 DuaLathe, and a larger 3 phase converter. The motor size on the Lennox jumps from 1.5 hp to 5hp on the new one, and my present converter is a bit undersized for the occasion. All backed in the shop for the unloading ceremonies..

Some square pads were cut out of horse mat for mounting, and 3/4" anchors sunk into the concrete..

….and let's not forget the requisite safety warning label..

Still need to wire in the three phase converter, but glad all the moving is complete.
      Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Finished up the fuel lines at the tank, bending and flaring..

test fit to the pump.....

Helpful hint of the day, copper line works well for trial runs...

Side stepped the area above the third member with the fuel line in case of extreme movement... the Adel clamps floating there will attach to the underside of the floor brace.

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• You screwed up in the fuel lines. You're supposed to forget the flare nuts then ponder if you should cut the lines, slip the nuts on, and install a connector or maybe start over so you can screw up a second set. (Done there, been that - repeatedly (slow learner)).

Dan

Comment

• I think I've forgotten those nuts enough times that I remembered them on this go round..
            Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by MP&C View Post
              I think I've forgotten those nuts enough times that I remembered them on this go round..
              pride goeth before a broken nut?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I forget every time I flare just to remind myself how truly stupid I am.
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

• You'll feel even better if you slip one on the wrong way while you're staring across the room thinking about something else besides your work, and then confidently perform the flare.

Love the new machine. What was it I said somewhere else, be inspired not jealous.

Comment

• Well our progress on the wagon is hard to show, other than a pile of sanded paint residue on the floor.. So let's look at the sample louvers just completed, these are rotated 15 degrees..

The new 3 phase converter is wired in, and it sure is nice not having to swap plugs anymore.. this one has three outputs.

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Nice supply of vice-clamps too!
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Norm Abrams always says that a woodworker can't have too many clamps. I find that's true in metalwork, too.

Dan

Comment

• I think the Vise Grip collection is just over 100. Yes, you can never have enough, I typically buy in bulk whenever I see them good used on CL or similar ….

Busy weekend! Saturday we got the power window mechanisms cut to length, and installed for the rear windows. We found some 1/4-20 x 1" standoffs about perfect for spacing the vertical part where it needed to be for locating the window track centered in the opening..

Lock nuts used to keep the spacer from spinning during attachment...

1/4-20 Rivnut added to secure the top..

Track is pretty well centered....

Also made a bracket for the Diacro No. 1A bender so we can use it in our universal stands..

Sunday was the Coming Out Car Show put on by the Southern Knights Rod and Custom Car Club. We got Brad to bring his car out for the event. It's like a magnet, he was answering questions all day. We had some metal fabrications on display, and I enjoyed talking to many people about their projects, welding processes, and our fabrication capabilities.

*photo credit Mike Tunney, Old Liners Car Club
                          Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• We need to do another spray out test panel, so we can nail down the top color to accent the green. These car bodies just aren't big enough to do a two tone...……..

….so we fabricated a fake quarter panel using the Tommasini wheeling machine, and sprayed it with some epoxy primer. We'll get it blocked on Saturday and spray the bottom using Organic Green Kandy Basecoat, and spray the top with Galaxy gray, to see how well those two go together...

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• I like the color. It's pretty close to Mary's coupe. Anxious to see what color will highlight it.
                              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• My "good" 215 V8/Vega (the one with the Arizona body) used a similar paint scheme with the factory dark green Vega color on the bottom and a REALLY light silver ('62 Buick/GM) on top. Looked great! I have those pics on a memory stick somewhere but am still looking - I'll post them if they turn up.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X