No announcement yet.

55 Wagon Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to play catch-up, had a short hiatus in Upstate NY on the St Lawrence river.

Daytime and sunset:

I picked up some louver dies that are set up for the press brake but should be the start of a louver press eventually... got both 2" and 3" dies.

I also have a couple good friends that understand my tool addiction that both sent me a link to an ad for body tools, especially for the Vise Grips. Here's what I picked up from a retired bodyman, now to keep these quality tools going. VG collection is now over 130.. never enough.

...and with the engine brackets back from powder coating, and our new 45* water neck arrived, we were able to get the belts and upper hose all mocked up. The hose we used was a Dayco 72384, made as a lower hose for a V6 Ford Explorer, but it fits this application like a glove...

Video version:

The Alan Grove brackets have been powder coated and all the components bolted in place, belts mocked up to check for upper hose clearance. The Dayco 72384 ...

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• While I was blocking some primer, E added some sound deadening to the inside of the door skins...

Behind each of the speaker mounts we added a section of Dynaliner…

She did a good job of that, wait until she sees how much more we have to go!

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Progress pics from last night... Yep, we've been block sanding..

Using Evercoat 416 to address the few low spots..

Honing up on my painting skills with brush on seam sealer

Today's lesson is on media blasting and stretch damage that occurs. Here’s what a sand blaster will do to a roof skin when blasting the braces underneath.

Our blaster was doing the brace from underneath/inside and the inadvertent stray media hitting the adjacent roof skin stretched it, pulling it inward toward the media stream . On the outside the “unstretched” area shows as a high spot, the stretched part that needs shrinking is seen as a low. So if you must media blast any braces or internal structure, block off the skin next to it so no media touches it. Save yourself the extra body work.

We fixed the lows by locating the exact spots on the inside that needed shrinking and tapping outward into a small shot bag. To locate, a rare earth magnet is placed outside on the roof skin in each low spot, and some grinding dust finds the magnet on the inside where we can mark the perimeter both inside and out, and work with one person on either side to remove the lows. (See video, magnet marks highs or lows, it doesn’t care) For multiple lows, mark both sides of all spots and number them, so you can move from one spot to the next, calling out the number desired to your shrinking assistant. If your car is too clean to have grinding dust, look under your bench grinder.

Magnet use video:

Using the rare earth magnet for locating inside/outside for exact alignment of hammer to donut dolly. This is a 1-1/2” pvc bushing from the local Ace store, ...

Note on the inside roof skin picture the multiple numbered circles where we found low spots to address.

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Bummer that you had to fix that but excellent that you caught it before paint! Once again, perfection is not good enough.

Dan

Comment

• So we've been blocking out epoxy primer, it sure is nice to be able to rotate the car where you need it instead of sanding upside down on the bottoms of drip rails.

But then you walk past the Driver's A pillar and see holes that shouldn't be there.

I don't know how I've missed this before. We did have this same repair done to the other side, I guess with the roof damage confined to that same side I must have not thought this side was suspect. Goes to show, check ALL problem areas, especially if issues show on one side.

Inside the hole has a minimal amount of surface rust, especially for 64 years old. Safe to say the damage was caused by water/dirt accumulation between the center structure (the one we're remaking) and the outer skin. Oh well, it's been a while since I've had a back up and punt moment. Glad this was found before the green kandy went on.

Starting to make the new replacement for the inside, using 14 gauge cold rolled steel.

Some deep stretch on the MH19 to fabricate a replacement part for rust repair.

Quite a bit if stretch added for the part to match the original..

Rough shaped on the MH19, tuned up a bit with body hammers, punches used as anvils, and various other implements of destruction. Trimmed and fitted:

All ready for welding. Meanwhile, Mike has been working on the pointy end of the arrow, here stretching an inside corner to better fit the housing....

Mike stretching an inside corner for the Arrow Sign

And adding holes for the plug welds....

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• PM sent! HELP!!!!!!

Dan

Comment

• (FACEPALM!!!!!)

Why didn't I think of that? Parts on order and I'll post the results. A much more elegant solution.

THANKS!!!!

Dan

Comment

• Dan, glad to help!

After a week in FL for the day job, time to get the inner patch welded in place.

Tacked using the TIG:

video:

welds dressed:

Epoxy primer added:

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• You welds inside a panel that will never be seen make my highly visible ones suck even more. Pure artistry right there.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Thanks Ed!

Now to get our outer patch fabricated.. The corner is going to need a GRUNCH of shrinking.. We started on the Baileigh, but the dies are only going to get us so far. So some tuck shrinking with some heat for persuasion was used..

A tipping wheel in the bead roller was used to mark our bend line, and an upper press brake die used as an anvil to hammer the flanges over..

Some hammer action to stretch the corner flange so it will tip the full 90*

I missed some in process pictures here, but various hammers, anvils, punches, and other implements of destruction were employed to give us our basic shape...

After a bit of fine tuning, it is trimmed and fitted into the A Pillar...

and the windshield stainless is test fit for good measure..

The finished piece is media blasted (Barton Garnet) so the SPI epoxy primer will have a good bite. The inside is primed as a bit more preventative measure over factory....

The flange is quite small compared to what we normally plug weld, so we opted for a .169 drill bit to keep the heat away from the edge...

In order to clean he primer out the inside of our plug weld holes, we flattened and backfaced our drill bit to mimic an end mill....

Does a good job of giving us nice clean metal for a good weld..

much better....

Our rust patch fabricated, trimmed, TIG welded in place. Good as new.

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Astonishing! You never fail to amaze.

Dan

Comment

• Wow.....sheer amazement!
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Thanks for the props guys...
                            Here's some of the forming process of our A-Pillar fabrication that I missed the other day. Did a couple time lapse videos, first shows the shrinking of the corner. The Vise Grip tucking tool, torch, and hammer is used to get the corner to come down about a 20* angle, then the two flanges were folded, which gives us one big tuck. At that point wide VEE is heated up and the high spots of the flange corner is hammered back into itself. Repeat for the next high spot, until the corner is folded where you want it.

Using heat and tuck shrinking to provide EXTREME shrinking on this sample piece.

Here's the corner shrink complete...

Then the barrel end hammer is used to make the joggle creases by using an upper die from our press brake as a post dolly. That’s the basic process.

A sample of how the joggles were added to our A-pillar patch we fabricated.

If you find the time lapse too fast, you can change playback speed on YouTube to slow things down a bit..

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Today we worked on some rust prevention up inside the roof. This is between the roof skin and the perimeter structure just above the windows.

The car was rolled on it's side and SPI epoxy poured into the area, acid brush was used to cover everything we could..

Once the entire passenger side had been flooded around to the liftgate hinge, we rolled the car right side up again. It wasn't long that we had paint dripping on the top of the rocker panel.. It was running down inside the A Pillar and running out the bottom of the dogleg. This is a good indicator of exactly where the roof condensation runs to when it reaches the A Pillar, and why we had rust issues there.

Here's a picture of when we opened the roof for rust repair, showing what the condensation did for us..

So our primer is sealing the joint between the roof skin and the structure.. We found an opening above the windshield that would help us to flood the front seam....

We opened up an acid brush to form a funnel, and poured SPI Epoxy in the area..

A puddle out of the A Pillar dogleg shows we have good flow through the windshield...

To insure everything was covered above the windshield header, we joined two acid brushes for an extended reach over the header, and bent to match the roof skin profile....

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• For those doing plug welds, I prefer to have the adjacent panels pre-painted with Epoxy Primer to get good rust prevention. This video shows flattening and backfacing a drill bit to use for cleaning paint off the adjacent panel in a plug weld hole...

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X