No announcement yet.

55 Wagon Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well today was slated as lift-off day. So we got our lifting eyes installed on the body this morning and set up the lifting devices.

We loaded the frame onto the trailer, figured a winch would be easier than pushing..

Getting the body ready to separate from the rotisserie...

With the body bolted down, we moved it outside to take some pictures..

Here is the room we have behind the engine for access to the O2 sensor connector...

Our attempt to install the rear bumper so we could look at it with some chrome on the rear end did not fare well. The bumper brackets did not line up correctly, just my luck, so we added length and welded the original holes closed so they can be moved to the correct location...

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• So this weekend we played with blocks. Made from 2x6's, and gave the wagon a lift kit. This should help in using a creeper for any underside work..

Mike wanted to get started on the wiring harness, but we thought it best to install the brake bracket assy first. As luck would have it, the plastic bushings did not fare well with the install. We took the opportunity to make bushings out of oilite bronze, something more fitting in a 55 Chevy over plastic.

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by MP&C View Post
        So this weekend we played with blocks. Made from 2x6's, and gave the wagon a lift kit. This should help in using a creeper for any underside work..

I did something similar but made 12X12 3/4" plywood cubes and I use tham all over the shop for everything from step stools for this short ol' guy to holding up Mutt. Because the top of the boxes are flat I add wheel stops when using them under a vehicle - see attached pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	883.8 KB
ID:	1282572
        Just another way to skin this cat (but who wants a skinned cat?).

Dan

Comment

• Everything OK at your shop??
          It just hit me that we' hadn't seen an update in quite awhile.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Ed, when I went to post an update to the last post many months ago, the was a malware associated with this site that would not allow me to post any response. It seemed to last for a few months and when it finally cleared up I did not have time to go back and play catch-up. I should have some spare time in the upcoming weeks so I’ll get some updates added. Thanks!!
            Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Thanks, can't wait to see how it went. I imagine it's very close to being finished by now.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• We missed you! Good to hear from you. Yeah, that malware incident was annoying!

Dan

Comment

• With the brake pedal sporting new oilite bronze bushings, Mike got all the pedal assemblies installed, and hole drilled in the floor for the parking brake cable.. Then on to underneath stuff, installing the flex plate bolts and torqueing them down. We used the starter to bump the engine around, and found we also needed to shim the starter, so that was done.

The AC vent brackets were folded using the magnetic brake....

Then trim the ends and one more media blast session to get it ready for epoxy primer.

Jared and I worked on getting all the body mounts snugged down, and then turned attention to the rear bumper. In the stock configuration this is slightly wide, so we had opted for a slice and dice and making the three piece bumper into a one piece..

We had intended to get this done prior to paint, just one of those things that slipped through the cracks before it got sent out for paintwork. We did have some rags used between the bumper and body to prevent any damage, and removed them for pictures. The final fitment after tacking:

Our data plate for the firewall had been looking pretty sad....

…...so much so that we had thought about leaving it off the nice shiny firewall..

But we had sent some pictures of the carnage to Bob at Alternative Chrome in Kutztown PA, and he said he could clean it right up and add a sealer for us.. Much better...

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Starting some of our electrical work, since the fuel pump and float assembly both connected using ring terminals, we wanted to use some weather pack connectors so there would be a quick disconnect. We had purchased one of the weather pack "kits" from Jegs in order to have a selection to work from as we put the car back together..

On our standard terminal lugs, we pulled insulating sleeve off the back side so we could use a "W" crimp, and then covered with heat shrink.

Some anti seize was applied to the connection to help keep corrosion controlled, and some braid loom and heat shrink was used to add some protection.

Weather pack connection, wires stripped just enough for the W crimp, strain relief crimp remains on top of the wire's jacket insulation.

Next, to finalize our parking brake situation, we needed to drill a hole in the floor, which then had epoxy primer applied to the perimeter. Once cured, we installed a rubber grommet and fed through the floor. If you recall, the Lokar cable did not fit the opening in our donor brake pedal assembly, so a thick washer with the correct smaller hole was found, and the bracket hole was opened up to the outer diameter of the washer...

Then the washer was TIG welded in place..

Next challenge, the brake assembly had an internal pedal return spring that would now rest on the cable and rub in the same place on the ends, so in order to minimize any wear through the cable strands, the spring was relocated to the side of the frame at the adjusters where a shoulder was machined into the adjustment fittings to support the spring ends and not rub into the cable.

To further protect the cable from spring rub, as there surely would be deflection of the spring as the brake was applied, we test fit some heat shrink to act as a protective sleeve. The internal liner of the Lokar cable was roomy enough for the heat shrink to pass up inside, so concept test complete, we ordered some high heat Teflon shrink tubing from McMaster. This was installed over the cable, with plenty of extra slid up in the liner, and assembled all the parts..

That should hold us.....
                    Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Made a trip to Annapolis, Brandon and Richard were done buffing parts... Hell of a way to transport fenders and doors....

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Back when we were shaving all the holes in the firewall, the dimmer switch in the floor actually went THROUGH the floor where the connections were made on the outside, and only the push actuator stuck through the floor. Not wanting anymore electrical connections outside the floor than needed, we welded up the center hole, and kept the floor nuts to bolt the new one inside.. Any never gave it any more thought. Until this weekend. Our dimmer switch, a DS115 has a bolt pattern of about 1.75" between hole centers. The factory nuts are about 2.625" between hole centers. Oh well, back up and punt has become second nature with this project..

So we started by fabricating an "adapter bracket" using 16 gauge stainless and a 1/4-20 press stud.

Next, the left bolt needed to be 1/4-20 to fit in the hole of our dimmer switch and with the floor hole at 5/16-18, we need another adapter. So two set screws of appropriate size were welded together, and this allows using an allen wrench to install and hold while tightening the nuts to hold down the dimmer switch.

The right screw remains 5/16-18 through, but we are going to find something with a smaller (shorter) profile for under the carpet.

…..with plenty of room for the wiring inside

Mike and Jarod got the fuel tank along with fill and vent tubes installed...

…..and then finished our "flexible" lines from the hard lines on the frame up to the EFI.

We still have clamps to install.. Up at the EFI, 30* fittings were used to give us a downward trajectory but yet high enough to keep off the heat of the intake (that the 45* would have done).

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Love to see your amazing work. As far as transporting painted parts, I've taken to putting them inside our carpeted van which works out groovily. Not sure if the doors would fit but I've toted bumper covers successfully.

Dan

Comment

• Thanks for the update! Have been missing your posts!
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• the level of detail and talent here never ceases to amaze me,
                              whilst also discouraging me because ill never be that good!

beautiful work.

Comment

• Thanks for the comments guys!! A while back I picked up some used body tools, including this bumper puller/straightener (red handle).
                                This tool works by placing the pad against the bumper face, hooking the top or bottom back edge (depending on direction of pull needed) and prying to twist back into shape.. The rubber pad was about falling off, with exposed rivets, but since I was just hanging it up as wall art, didn't think much past that..

More recently a square body 4WD stopped by, which has the typical bumper ears not parallel to the ground. So I pulled the tool out to show the owner that there was indeed a way to repair that. After he left I decided we need to go ahead and repair the tool so it could be put back in service for when the next time the need arose...

First order of business was to remove the old fender bolt and nut and replace with a machine bolt and lock nut.

Next, for our "replacement" pad, we had a small piece of horse mat we could cut it out of, and one of our counterbore bits was used to get the screw heads below the surface..

The pad was held in place using 10-32 pan head screws and lock nuts.

So now our wall art is all ready for next time...
                                Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X