• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning in invoice to his insurance today
    Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Tell him you'll fix his car at a "special" discount! (wink wink) Be sure to drop a GPS locater chip in the subframe....
      Last edited by silver_bullet; July 6, 2022, 11:09 AM.
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• With fence repair duties out of the way we can get back to some progress on the wagon. Finally got the correct clips for the beltline molding...

We had been attempting to polish up some of the stainless trim but always seems to find 67 years worth of scratches difficult to remove. So we opted to give Trizact a try, starting with 1500, then 3000, 5000, and finally 8000.. The edge of the 3000 and up seemed to bear the brunt of the polishing duties, and wore off much sooner than the center. In an effort to get more life out of the trizact pads, we purchased a 5" Dynabrade where we could cut the outer (worn) portion off the pads and continue to use.. The Trizact did well on the stainless, a much easier task at the polishing stage...

We also have been working on the wiring, and getting it run inside some protective loom. To keep things tidy and knot free, we opted for some heat shrink tubing spaced at regular intervals.. Where I've seen electrical tape used in similar situations, the tape seems to turn into a sticky mess in short order so we'll give this a try. Jared has some re-wiring to do on his 39 coupe so this is good practice (learning curve) for him.. This section is from the fuse box to the rear of the body, the tan wire pulled out is for the fuel sending unit.

These clips are just about the right size for this harness "portion", we got them to run along the frame rail behind the rear axle, but found use for them in a couple other locations. Corvette part.

Here Jared made a protective channel where the wire passes under the rear seat frame.

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Inspiring as always. Thanks for the update.

For some reason, I HATE pushing trim clips into a freshly painted panel. The photo made my teeth clinch
          I'm pretty sure that trim has NEVER looked so good
          A.K.A. Brian
          Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• Those clips look like a permanent fixture to me. I imagine they will hold it very tightly, but fear removal will have a high probability of paint chipping......
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• So how do you push those clips in with minimum damage? I've tried a dab of RTV at the hole and then pushed the clip thru but I'm not sure if that helps or not. Input?

Comment

• So some of the clips seemed a bit wide for the height of the slot, likely just paint build, so we did "touch up" that dimension of the clips with a sanding disc top and bottom to better fit through the slot without taking all the paint off the car. We did touch up the clips with some spray paint. The other point is to align the clips well with it's respective slot before attempting to push onto the car. They are a bit tight to push side to side once installed, a little hairy if you had them right up near the paint.

My major concern with the clips were that they wouldn't hold the stainless trim in snugly, so I actually pulled them slightly farther inward with a right angle pick from within the door cavity. Most areas of these slots are accessible down the entire length of the car with interior still removed. So I would say if removal was ever needed, one should also remove interior panels and provide a little squeeze action for the clip to fit back through the slot..
                Last edited by MP&C; July 24, 2022, 06:04 PM.
                Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• More progress on the wagon, we're getting some of our wiring run to the back of the car...

In cutting out door panels our upholsterer cut out the speakers a bit too large for how we were mounting them. I don't think I had conveyed those details as I had planned on doing the speaker cutouts portion.. So to keep him from having to do that work over again, we offered to cut them out this time around.

6-32 Riv-nuts used to hold the tweeter grill in place...

8-32 machine screws were sharpened to transfer the hole pattern onto the panel, then our speaker spacers matched to those for cutting out the center hole.

Next, holes drilled for our stainless trim that we had welded the impaling pins on prior....

The stainless trim would be needed for upholstery, so we got to polishing.. A board was drilled to accept the impaling pins and better hold the trim piece for our prep stage of removing 67 years worth of scratches. Also worked well in holding things steady at the buffer..

We used 3M Trizact on the DA, starting with 1500 grit and finishing with 8000 grit. This process cuts out the first two buffing stages, and seems to polish out nicer. Buffing process was using green rouge on sewn wheel and final was grey rouge on loose wheel.

This is after 3000 Trizact:

This is after 8000 Trizact:

This is after buffing:

That'll do pig, that'll do.
                  Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• I spent a week in Tennessee just south of Nashville, attending a metalshaping workshop and delivering the Pullmax there for Mike Abbott of Steel Rose Metal Co in Memphis TN. We had a good time learning tips and tricks, meeting old friends and making new ones.

Jesse Harris, who lives about 15 minutes from me, travelled out as well, and gave an awesome demo on using the bead roller with a focus on artwork.

A leading demo on an aluminum Rolls Royce door...

One of the attendees lives just north of Nashville, and a few of us travelled one evening to check out his shop, Ace Chassis. He has been building pulling tractors for about 20 years now and has quite the setup for machining, welding, and sheet metal fabrication.

Upon return from TN, Jared brought over his 39 Ford so we could install a new wiring harness in place of the convoluted mess that was there.

He had some issues and a local fella that wires boats or something had made some repairs. This is his mainstay, I'd never seen the stuff and now having seen his work, I have my doubts about anyone who would use it on a regular basis.

Here's some before pictures to highlight both his repairs and what was done before he got there. For some reason he decided that two separate runs of 12V power from the same source needed a resettable circuit breaker between them.

Personally, I'm confused. But that's not the half of it. This is a "ground" cable that was attached to the frame.

under the dash...

This is in the passenger front floor area, there is a fusebox in there somewhere..

The battery was located behind the passenger seat, and here is the cable routing beneath the car...

Yes, that's the positive battery cable against the muffler.....

With all this we found our best option was to remove the battery and start cutting out ALL the wiring.

First order of business was to fabricate a mounting plate for the new fuse panel to get it out of the floor...

Having removed the most splices I have ever seen under a dash board, our goal was to have as few splices as possible, and make direct runs where we could. W crimps were used throughout, adding glue lined heat shrink in place of the previously favored liquid tape.. Tail light wiring was plenty long so new contact buttons eliminated the typical splicing of pigtails..

Tach and Speedometer connected...

Headlight switch...

For routing purposes, and to keep from drilling the firewall, we made some cable management using rare earth magnets and cable saddles..

more to come......

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• BTW - I put my friend Dick Williams onto you. He wants a new rear valance on the Volvo I installed the stroker SBF in. A local company made a nice exhaust system for it and now he wants a valance to hide the gas tank while going around the exhaust outlet. Don't be surprised when he contacts you!

Comment

• Robert: "That Guy" needs to be reported, otherwise, one of his customers is going to have his car burn to the ground.....and if it happens to be in an attached garage at the time it ignites, the result could be much worse than just losing a car.........
                        Last edited by Tubbed Pacecar; September 8, 2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
                          Robert: "That Guy" needs to be reported, otherwise, one of his customers is going to have his car burn to the ground.....and if it happens to be in an attached garage at the time it ignites, the result could be much worse than just losing a car.........
                          If I had his name, believe me everyone would know who he is..
                          Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Liquid Electrical Tape is the CATS ASS Too seal out Moisture Corrosion !!
                            I use it ALL THE TIME on Crimp Fittings,
                            Better than Shrink Fittings !!!

Comment

• I could see it as a sealant. This dude wanted to use it in place of electric tape. As seen in the picture, this is not the best option.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PGSK7736.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	1325905

I will say he did a good job of sealing the floor under where he was working...
                              Last edited by MP&C; September 9, 2022, 12:40 PM.
                              Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post
                                Liquid Electrical Tape is the CATS ASS Too seal out Moisture Corrosion !!
                                I use it ALL THE TIME on Crimp Fittings,
                                Better than Shrink Fittings !!!

it works great as the first step, but you need something more robust - thus put shrink wrap over it. In that same vein, shrink wrap that 'is waterproof' is not. I don't care what the chinese marketing company says....
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X