'68 Mustang GT 390 Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '68 Mustang GT 390 Convertible

This is a frame off restoration that a friend of mine is just finsihing up for a customer of his, he does everything(except tuning) himself... from rust removal, engine rebuilding and machine work to interior, bodywork and painting. He put a Holley projection system on this one(while keeping the points distributor), and I do his tuning for him.

There's some dust in and on it from the buffing and all as this is it's first "air out" since final assembly. Like I said... just thought I'd share a few pics with ya as he just stopped by with it to show me it fairly complete. I'll go out in it with him to do the final tuning on it next weekend (loaded and higher rpm topend pulls still need done, I've done all idling, cold start, hot start and cruising tuning already). Then once I have the afr complete across the board, the customer will take delivery with break-in miles and a full photoshoot set of pics including a calendar of it with a couple models my buddy hired as a finishing touch for him.
    Todd

Re: '68 Mustang GT 390 Convertible

nice work! wish it was in my shop

Comment

Great looking car - thanks for the pics! You just have to love a big block convertible, and that paint job looks stunning.

Comment

Wow! That is one beautiful Mustang. Nice work.
        1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

It really came out nice. After alot of low end tuning(start up, idling, restart, etc), I got to spend about 3 hours or so in the back seat with two laptops(one hooked to the ECU and one hooked to my data-aq equipment) with the top down and driving around telling him where and how fast to go (not often you get paid ot be a back seat driver). From cruising streetlight to streetlight and wide open runs, to varied accelerations and decels, to floored standing starts... this thing was just as smooth and tight as could be mechanically(and eventually electronically). Surely as good, but most likley much better then when Ford put it out. The cold start idle was tough but from there to hot starts and everything in between, it really did good for the inexpensive (and less then lusteress to say the least) EFI system he put on it (Holley pray-jection throtle body setup).

Next one lined up is going to be a port injection system, (maybe Edelbrock?) and possibly on a stroker motor. The good thing about the Holley system is that it is invisible (with exception of where he mounted the fuel pressure gauge), he even used the original points distributor on that one(which won't be happening again!).

Oh well, I'm just there for the tuning(and I've found I sure don't care for the Holley setup at all), but I do like that old ragtop to go out and have some fun in and nothing better for these guys that just run them here and there on weekends then to be able to rely on the fuel injection system and when they hit the key.
          Todd

Comment

Nice and clean. Good work man!

Comment

Nice car, but I can't help but ask about the lady in the Pocahontas dress.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

;D me too !

Comment

But seriously .... a neat presentation of the stang..& my favourite colour :P

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    After the build, a 12month calendar and some posters of the car (including a multitude of different scenarios), were part of the package supplied to the owner at the time of pick up. Pocahontas there was the model, and that was the last outfit of the day at the time of shooting (we just liked seeing her like that, and she fit well riding around in the car so there was no sense in her changing clothes ;D
                    She was a cop, a nurse, an elf, etc, etc. - this friend of mine (the builder), has been doing these resotorations since the early 70's and really likes to have fun with them for the customer's that are willing to pay.
                    Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Narider
                      Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                      After the build, a 12month calendar and some posters of the car (including a multitude of different scenarios), were part of the package supplied to the owner at the time of pick up. Pocahontas there was the model, and that was the last outfit of the day at the time of shooting (we just liked seeing her like that, and she fit well riding around in the car so there was no sense in her changing clothes ;D
                      She was a cop, a nurse, an elf, etc, etc. - this friend of mine (the builder), has been doing these resotorations since the early 70's and really likes to have fun with them for the customer's that are willing to pay.
                      Todd
                      You know this is coming. Can we please see some of those pics. I said please too. :D
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, shoulda known.. lol. As soon as I get them and the ok to put them out(which I'm sure I will), I'll make sure your are the first to see them and post them here. ;D
                        Todd

Comment

Love the plate ... says it all.

Comment

Great job! That car looks fantastic!

Comment

Working...
                            X