Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the update and the info!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      funny you mention that - there's an axle at my dad's house that's probably what you're looking for (presuming he hasn't scrapped it), it's mine but I've no use for it. Tell him that it's the bent one (it's got a weird bend in it) but all of that stuff is there - drums, spindles, etc. Yours for the taking if you want it.
      Thanks! Would love to get those parts! I'll probably convert to disc brakes then, but maybe not if I have everything. The drums stop the Falcon really well! I remember sort of how to get to your dad's place, but don't have your or his phone number anymore? Maybe you could send me a PM or email?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Was looking for your email to get an update..
        Glad stuff is working out for you!
        Thanks Bob! Had a lengthy issue with our oldest daughter and her cancer treatment, which put all of us on hold for over a year. But she's doing fantastic now, and even purchased her first home recently! So car stuff is getting back on track, and I'm busy making changes to the Falcon and the Austin.

Comment

• Great to see the updates, do you have an air fuel meter on the falcon? I'd be interested to know what your steady cruise A/F numbers are now with the larger jets.
          On my falcon I went the other way - I have the AEM meter and noticed I was pretty rich (not a surprise with a 4777 on a 302) I dropped the primary jets 4 sizes, put a 50cc pump on the secondary (to help launch with the 5 speed) and dropped the primary power valve from 6.5 to 4.5.... that was too much, that took the cruise A/F from 12ish to 14ish and sometimes 15. So - I'm going to go back up one or two on the primary jets and put a 5.5 PV in. That should get it really close.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            Great to see the updates, do you have an air fuel meter on the falcon? I'd be interested to know what your steady cruise A/F numbers are now with the larger jets.
            On my falcon I went the other way - I have the AEM meter and noticed I was pretty rich (not a surprise with a 4777 on a 302) I dropped the primary jets 4 sizes, put a 50cc pump on the secondary (to help launch with the 5 speed) and dropped the primary power valve from 6.5 to 4.5.... that was too much, that took the cruise A/F from 12ish to 14ish and sometimes 15. So - I'm going to go back up one or two on the primary jets and put a 5.5 PV in. That should get it really close.
            No I don't have an A/F gauge on the car. Have a vacuum gauge on the dash, and that's about as hi tech as it gets here. I also dropped the power valve sizes down after installing the vacuum gauge and seeing my cruise vacuum was about 9.5 inches. I had 6.5 PV in each carb so my total was 13 inches, and way too high for the setup. I dropped down to 3.5 PV on each, and that made an improvement too!
            I think I'm still a little lean, and may go up to #85 jets, as the 1200 cfm of air needs a bit more fuel still. (I think) I did look at AF gauges, and was surprised they could purchased for around $135. So I wont rule out buying one if I don't get it working perfect with my muddle through method. But I am super excited to have it run as well as it is, and almost afraid to mess with it to get that other small percentage better!

Comment

• Well done indeed.

I'm confused though...
              I'm not sure I understand the manifold vacuum..... no matter how many carburetors you have, manifold pressure is manifold pressure (or vacuum)

So - if both carbs had 6.5" Hg power valves - they'd still both open at 6.5" Hg.... right?
              Cruise vacuum of 9.5" means the power valves were closed at steady cruise - which is good.... when you accelerate and the vacuum drops to 6.5, then they open... right?

I may be thinking backwards?

So - if you go with bigger jets, and power valves that don't open until closer to WOT (3.5"), you should cover any lean stumbles, and not worry about the 6.5" opening at idle
              (big cam - not much idle vacuum)

As I understand it, the problem with running without any power valves (guys do this to simplify tuning for drag racing) is you're rich all over - accept at WOT.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Well done indeed.

I'm confused though...
                I'm not sure I understand the manifold vacuum..... no matter how many carburetors you have, manifold pressure is manifold pressure (or vacuum)

So - if both carbs had 6.5" Hg power valves - they'd still both open at 6.5" Hg.... right?
                Cruise vacuum of 9.5" means the power valves were closed at steady cruise - which is good.... when you accelerate and the vacuum drops to 6.5, then they open... right?

I may be thinking backwards?

So - if you go with bigger jets, and power valves that don't open until closer to WOT (3.5"), you should cover any lean stumbles, and not worry about the 6.5" opening at idle
                (big cam - not much idle vacuum)

As I understand it, the problem with running without any power valves (guys do this to simplify tuning for drag racing) is you're rich all over - accept at WOT.
                Well I'm not a great tuner, so I bounce this stuff off a friend who is. He tells me that multiple Holley carbs need to add the power valve size together to get things to function properly. His recommendation is to have the power valves at about 50% of the vacuum at idle or cruise. So if it was a single carb with 10" of vacuum the stock 6.5 would be OK, but a bit high. But with dual carbs he said it adds up, and thus 13" of power valve is not good for 9"-10" of vacuum. I changed to his recommended 3.5 PV, as I usually don't debate after asking for his expertise. He's never steered me wrong, and the engine definitely runs fantastic after making the two changes he suggested. Even if he might be wrong, the next step up to be around 50% is a #4.5 power valve. So I'll stick with my 3.5 PV as it seems to be working well.

Comment

• Time for a quick update. After all it's been a couple years since anything changed significantly! We were at the Portland Swap Meet last week and I had nothing on my list to buy. But as usual always surprised by what can be found there! Walking around the race track and bumped into a 1939 Chevy coupe sitting on a trailer. No sign saying if it was for sale, or how much? So my neighbor and I stat looking it over. I was telling him about my '40 Chev coupe I had right after high school in 1968, when an older gentleman (older than me anyway!) asks what I think of it?
                  I told him it was cool, but way too much work at my age. He tells me that's why he's selling it, and begins to show me all the extra parts inside the car. The body was very straight, but lots of cancer between the fenders on the lower doors and rockers! Of course the floor was Swiss cheese too, and no interior of any kind, not even the steering column! He asks me what I think it's worth, and I didn't even want to guess. Then he tells me it could be mine for $2k. I again told him it was too much work, and he asks what would be a fair price? I finally told him I thought it was a $1500 car, and only because of all the extra parts like fenders, running boards, gas tank, extra hood, etc. that could be sold to offset the price. He tells me he'll do 1
                  $1800 and I again said I wasn't interested. He drops to $1650, and I ended up caving in when he dropped again to $1600. He agrees to drop it at my house after the show.
                  What the heck was I thinking? Almost 69 now, and taking on another big project?
                  So now the '63 Falcon will be going up for sale to fund the '39 Chevy, and also to make more room to build the '39 Chevy! Luckily I live about 10 miles from Chevs of the 40's, so getting repair parts wont mean any shipping. I'm sure they'll see plenty of me once I get space cleared up, and begin making a list of what I need to fix it and hotrod it. It does have a 9" Ford axle in it, and a one piece fiberglass frontend. Not sure if I'll use either yet, but they do have good value in them.

Comment

• My dad will be so jealous, he ran a 37 Chev Coupe in the 50s/60s... has a yard art 37 in front of his shop.... very cool project so what direction? gasser?

He still has his old fuel nailhead (hillborn injected) in hopes that someday he can put it in another car like yours....
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 10, 2019, 05:08 PM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I am smelling straight axle Gasser build all the way from Ohio. Congrats Val!
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        My dad will be so jealous, he ran a 37 Chev Coupe in the 50s/60s... has a yard art 37 in front of his shop.... very cool project so what direction? gasser?

He still has his old fuel nailhead (hillborn injected) in hopes that someday he can put it in another car like yours....
                        I remember your dad's yard art coupe! Say hello for me!
                        Plan for the '39 is a hotrod that can be driven long distance comfortably if I want to. I'll be looking at putting a late model Ford 8.8" IRS assembly under the rear, and a SBC with AOD up front. Not going to be a super fancy finished look, but fairly finished chassis, and interior. Just keep the exterior simple. I may even use the one piece fiberglass tilt nose, just to make it easy to get to the engine bay to work on it.

Comment

• Sweet! Glad to see you back.. Always wonder how you are!

Comment

• I would ask how much but I know it's out of my price range. Going to buy a lotto ticket, will let you know if I win. Looking forward to the new build.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• Fun! I'm 72 so I KNOW you can do it!

Dan

Comment

• you should talk to my dad about SBCs, he's got a bunch that are unused.
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X