'63 Falcon project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Falcon project

Here's my future project guys. A 1963 Falcon Futura. 6 cyl. with 3 speed. Very clean and rust free car that's been stored in a barn for the last 23 years. Gave a whopping $550 for it! Only minor shopping cart dings, and original paint. The engine turns over, and supposedly runs, but it wil go away anyhow, so not important to me. Plan is to keep it a stick, but not sure about 4-5 or 6 speed trans yet.
    Now here's the big change planned; it's getting a big block Chevy. Haven't located an engine yet, but I did get the top end today at the NWDRA swap meet. I picked up a pair of Edelbrock Performer oval port heads with 110cc chambers, 2.19/1.88 valves, Crower roller rockers, and a set of ARP stud kits for the head bolts. Also picked up a Weiand tunnel ram for twin carbs, and a Pete Jackson gear drive timing set. Got everything for $1,070 total! The heads alone sell for $2,000 at Summit, so I am pleased to get it all so reasonably.
    Not sure on the rearend yet, as I haven't seen what's available and strong. The frontend is sitting in my shop; a mid 60's Econoline straight axle that I bought off CL last year. Probably go a full cage, even though it will be street/strip use.
    Here's a few pics of the car. I'm busy doing a total home remodel, so I wont get much done on the car anytime soon.

Last edited by 1946Austin; January 27, 2013, 03:31 PM.

Sounds like it should be a real hot rod. With the weight of that car, the big block should be a handful with an auto let alone a row your own. What an animal. What is your ET aim? Or should I say, what DW class will you be gunning for?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Not even sure what DW class is? I hope to be in the mid 10's ET 1/4 mile, or low 7 sec. 1/8 mile.

Comment

1. I hate you
        2. another guy putting a chevy into a ford body - really?
        3. $550 - wow amazing!
        4. I hate you
        5. take good pictures - I will need them for reference - I'm putting a 63 grille in my 62, and fairlane tail lights with the Reverse lights built in.
        6. are you going to put a cage in it?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          1. I hate you
          2. another guy putting a chevy into a ford body - really?
          3. $550 - wow amazing!
          4. I hate you
          5. take good pictures - I will need them for reference - I'm putting a 63 grille in my 62, and fairlane tail lights with the Reverse lights built in.
          6. are you going to put a cage in it?

1-
          2-Really
          3-Yep, couldn't believe it myself.
          4-
          5-He's got a '62 grille that goes with it. I thought about going the other direction.
          6-Yes, but probably not more than a 6 point, unless it goes to fast for that!

Comment

since John didn't say it, I will. Please lose the spear-o-death steering column.... Awesome score!!
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I assumed he was loosing the shock towers right off the bat with the huge by large BBC slated for delivery.

Straight axle, no shock towers, - better plan on at least what I did underneath - these things have VERY little structure to control that much power.
              M22 rock crusher, scattershield, and fender wells?
              Plan on sectioning the trans tunnel - there's NO room in there for anything serious as is.... Damned - I love that side trim.

Comment

Spear of death column?? What don't I know here? Maybe needs a rag joint to let it collapse, or what?
                Plan is to reinforce the frame underneath to give the straight axle perches something substantial to weld to. Then subframe connectors for sure. No shock towers needed with the axle, and no space for them with the BBC engine. Not sure about firewall, but possibly some engine setback, so might have to do some trimming there too. Need to do the disc brake conversion on the straight axle, as I don't really want drums all around. If I can dig up a Lincoln 9" rear, then maybe disc brakes all around.

Comment

Take a look through my thread for some of the things to do and not to do underneath - do you have any floor repair to do?

I put 1x2 tubing inside the front frame rails under the floors - then ran it all the way back to the rears - a few inches over from the relocated front leaf spring perches, and then built off set shackles.

Are you keeping the rear quarters or radiusing the wheel wells?

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    Take a look through my thread for some of the things to do and not to do underneath - do you have any floor repair to do?

I put 1x2 tubing inside the front frame rails under the floors - then ran it all the way back to the rears - a few inches over from the relocated front leaf spring perches, and then built off set shackles.

Are you keeping the rear quarters or radiusing the wheel wells?
                    No floor or trunk floor repair needed. Pretty solid everywhere. Radiusing the wheelwells if needed, but not going nosebleed height on the front, so how much radius depends on the frontend height.
                    I noticed on page 71 of your build the pictures of your subframe connectors. Also saw something about jacking plates or something like that? Were those "jacking plates" put in just to jack the car up for service, or do they add structural support too?
                    Last edited by 1946Austin; January 27, 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1946Austin View Post
                      Not even sure what DW class is? I hope to be in the mid 10's ET 1/4 mile, or low 7 sec. 1/8 mile.
                      Sorry. Drag Week.

How do you find the freeway and around town handling to be with a straight axle?
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I've owned/built 6 straight axle cars since 1968. The first couple were scarey at freeway speeds, as I was young and dumb, and didn't know things about suspension or kingpin angles. As I learned they got better. My present Austin gasser handles wonderful around town, on the freeway, and even windy country roads. I set kingpins at 10 degrees negative, and it straightens itself easily after corners, and tracks great, even on freeways with ruts.
                        Only complaint I have on the Austin is the short wheelbase and stiff suspension creates a choppy ride on bumps, so it's not as comfortable as the larger Tri 5 Chevys that I've previously built. I think the Falcon will be a good handling car, and ride better than the lighter/shorter Austin.
                        Last edited by 1946Austin; January 27, 2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Should turn out superb, if it is half the Austin...

Where I saw the Austin, there is a mix of bad 2 lane roads and freeways.. He drove it there.. 1.5 hrs away..
                          Can't be too uncomfy...
                          Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 27, 2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bob!

Comment

we should talk.... my dad has one of my 454s at his house (bare block), it has no home or future in my world. He also has several running 454s that I'm sure you could talk him out of

ya know, John, it's not too late to make your falcon have good, reliable, cheap chevy motor powering it
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 27, 2013, 09:58 PM.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X