No announcement yet.

Dignlif '64 Galaxie 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You wouldnt believe how many people told me not to convert my Impala to a four speed. Nearly all of them said I would hate it. Almost all them recanted it after seeing the car afterward. I love it so much I have bought nearly everything I need to convert my Caprice to a stick as well.

Trust me, once you drive a muscle car with a stick, you will never go back to an auto.

Its your car, build it to your dreams. I.would suggest taking a ride or try to drive a gasser setup to see if you like it before going that route.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Ditto Scott's thoughts on the man peddle.
      You could go with a TKO 600.....best of both worlds.

I'm guessing those are factory blue horns under the hood
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Thanks for the personal experience on going to a stick. I will probably have to start with the rebuilt AOD that I have sitting here behind the 351w to get it on the road. I am going to start collecting parts for the conversion to FE and stick as I can though. I just found a steering column for a floor shift car on CL that should fit the Galaxie so I'm gonna try and pick it up.

Edit: oh yeah you dig the horns too huh. Maybe they'll play La Cucaracha.
        Last edited by Dignlif; February 19, 2013, 11:12 PM.
        Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

These cars turn surprising well without the power steering hooked up.....
          Yep.. Those shackles are flipped.. The part that goes to the frame that the shackles bolt to tends to snap. As long as you don't jack off it, you should be fine..
          9 inch rear, probably 28 spline..

We got a parts car that had a fresh ring and pinion put in it... But it was left open! And kept the 28 splines..
          Last edited by Deaf Bob; February 20, 2013, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Hey Bob, did you guys happen to keep any of the motor mounts around? I'm thinking I can use the 289 mounts for the 351w and I'll need some for the eventual FE conversion. I'm hoping I can make the trek up there once things settle down with the new place. I'd like to check out your cars and pick up the glass, pedals and whatever else you find laying around. It's always cool meeting BS'ers in person.
            Last edited by Dignlif; February 20, 2013, 09:26 AM.
            Rich

Comment

DB should probably give you the old BS group discount.......sounds like he's got some
              cool stuff sitting around.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

That thing looks solid! Looks like a prime candidate for the eastwood rust encapsulator I used on my truck - no long term reports on it - just did that spray job over the holidays.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

cool that you mention that, I was just looking at that stuff yesterday along with Por 15 after cleaning out the trunk floor. I would really like to get some of that treatment on sometime soon after wire wheeling the surface a bit.
                  Rich

Comment

POR is pricey, there are other products out there now that I bet are just as good without the mark up - rust bullet, KB coatings, etc.

I have used POR - and it's tough stuff, it sticks to EVERYTHING - you really really need to wear disposable gloves and use a disposable brush (I buy chip brushes from HF by the box)

The encapsulator sprayed on easy even in the cold without thinning using a cheap spray gun - but it was under the truck with probably not enough prep work
                    (pressure washer at the car wash, then drive to shop, let dry, then hose with deoxy does it, dry, deoxy again, let dry, then Eastwood stuff a couple days later)

The truck went to Ziebart for rust proofing soon there after - and is doing thankless moving work now - no time to clean it and see how well the stuff worked.... yet.

I will say the POR on the floors of the falcon went on easy, flowed out nice (brushed on) and has held up well to the ins and outs of working on the car since painting them - not exactly a torture test.

Comment

Rich, I don't have much to contribute, I have very little knowledge about Fords, but you have a great car to start with. Just take your time and pick what direction you want to go with the car and stick with it. I can't get enough of those big cars. Not that it matters but my vote would be super stock look/stance. Kinda a Ford version of Mike Crow's car.

Jason
                      2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
                      2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
                      all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

I love those big 60 Fords. I could kick myself for not buying a fast back 63 Galaxy years ago from a friend. It was a Louisiana car that was rust free, dent free, 352 floor shift FMX with console and factory air. It was only missing the trim at the top of the windshield that blew off. Get a set of 65-67 T bird disc brakes. They are 4 piston caliper KH with 12" x 1.25" rotors, they'll stop that barge right quick!
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Dignlif View Post
                          Hey Bob, did you guys happen to keep any of the motor mounts around? I'm thinking I can use the 289 mounts for the 351w and I'll need some for the eventual FE conversion. I'm hoping I can make the trek up there once things settle down with the new place. I'd like to check out your cars and pick up the glass, pedals and whatever else you find laying around. It's always cool meeting BS'ers in person.
                          I'll look, don't have much left.. Will put it all in one spot this weekend and send you a pic..
                          My son is worried that our stuff is not worth your time and the trip.. We'll see if we can make it worth your time..
                          Years of hanging on to this stuff, needing room, cleaning up... Then to " meet" you..
                          So all I can do now is gather what we have left, and some from another fella that runs these fords too and let you know..
                          But I know we have the pedals and the bracket that goes on the frame..
                          As well as a seized 390 with the streetmaster intake

Comment

LOL yeah isn't that the way it always goes. You decide to clean up and then within two weeks you need whatever part you just sold or scrapped for another project.

Cool I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. I've heard that seized pistons can be drilled and broken out without damaging the block but I've never done it.
                            Rich

Comment

See that Rich - you've already got a good line on a streetmaster intake! With some acetone / atf - that 390 may be salvageable.... you're already on your way to FE goodness.

All in time - the 351w / aod will cruise that barge just fine in the meantime.

Comment

I have a 352 I could contribute to the cause.....but there is not much demand for 352s.

And I'm kinda not in the neighborhood.

Nice score on the car though!
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X