Dignlif '64 Galaxie 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dignlif '64 Galaxie 500

Well I was trying to trade our 3rd wheel '68 Mustang for a VW squareback so I could make a commuter out of it but had no luck. Apparently VW's are more valuable/ valued than Mustangs...shut up Jake!

So I started thinking about the DW Gasser class, did a search on CL and came across a '64 Galaxie 500 with no engine/ trans that the guy was selling or willing to trade. I shot him my ad and he called me within 10 minutes. He suggested I go look at it and once I was satisfied, he agreed to trade w/o seeing mine. He was happy enough with all the new stuff I listed on the Mustang so I'm thinking they may be parting it out.

Anyway, I had it home that night and am now waffling between Gasser and airbagged cruiser. For the DW class the engine has to be pre '67 and unless I put a Hemi in it, all I can do is 390/ 428 FE or 289 with blower and all of those are expensive options which I likely wouldn't be able to swing by DW '14. It's originally a 289 car so I thought it might be cool with a 289 and black crinkle paint 671 on top of it. I'd rather stick with a Ford engine anyway.

For now it'll get the 351w that is getting rings/ bearings which was destined for the '68.

Almost all the trim is there, either on the car or sitting inside, though some of it is beat up. It has some modern seats in it so I need to find some original buckets. The XL seats look just like the 62-64 T-bird so I'll probably have more luck finding a pair of those.

Here she is in all her glory. Yes it has 14" black wheels on one side and white on the other. I like the look of the white ones a bit better but I now have a set of 15" torque thrusts take offs from my wife's 67 Mustang that I'll probably slap on. In the pictures the rockers look really rough but they're not. It's just the way the paint looks since it was sanded. The only bad spot is lower rear opening of the passenger fender, probably from a tire losing its tread, and the front bumper seems to be pushed in a bit again on the passenger side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	879680Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1312.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	879685Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1318.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	879682Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1317.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	879683Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1316.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	879684Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1313.jpg
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	879681
    Last edited by Dignlif; February 16, 2013, 11:17 AM.
    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

She's a beauty! Hope an FE eventually finds its way in there - love me some FEs!

Dan

Comment

Yeah. It needs an FE. I would be dying to make a street Nascar with it. Love the '64's.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Big FE and a clutch pedal! Teardrop scoop, paint it white, white steelies. Love those cars.

Comment

Drop a 410 in it with some kind of modern overdrive trans., bag it and cruise away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
            Big FE and a clutch pedal! Teardrop scoop, paint it white, white steelies. Love those cars.
            Yeah what he said.......one of my favorites.
            Way cool
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Although a Boss 429 would be OK, too. (Wonder what one of THOSE costs. I think Mr. Kaase can fix you up, though).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
                my sentiments as well
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

yah, hell, just hit up BarryR on here. 445 inches should mover 'er. Or a Powerstroke. haha.

I'm sorry you're so far away, I kinda wanted the Mu. Ahhh well, nice trade. It'll be a comfy thing I bet. Between the FE bits available now and Crites, you're probably in a great position. More Pics?
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Awesome. (You suck)!
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Well scored! Every so often the styling studios get a car just right...come up with something that stands the test of time. IMHO the 64 Galaxie was one of those occasions.
                      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Need side glass? Got a set of 4!
                        Doubt I have any trim left.. Went to the scrapper..
                        Pm me your list and I'll look.
                        As for seats.. Look in Mercs too.. Parklanes.. They are comfy. Had a pair in my 59 chevy 4X4...
                        I got pedals for the manual too.. Needs refurbishing..
                        One car had a 352/3 on the tree.. Only saved the pedals.
                        I'm sure we will be derbying another....

Comment

sad pictures

Thanks guys. Doesn't sound like there's any love for the gasser idea but definitely for an FE. I'm cool with that, I'm really liking the idea of just cruisin the big car. I'm gonna slowly look for a 390 FE and then work on a stroker kit. I'll eventually replace the 351w with that. I did some looking for a set of clutch pedals and see several sets on eBay so that doesn't look like it'll be a problem to convert it over to a 4 speed.

Today's adventure - I went out chasing a CL ad looking for some outer trim for the Galaxie. Here's what I got...

Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1385.jpg
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	867271Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1391.jpg
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	867270Click image for larger version

Name:	mod IMG_1392.jpg
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	867269

for $80...hoping I'll be able to do some trading or selling of the extras toward a clutch pedal setup and/or fe.

Oh yeah, why they are sad pictures...the reason this guy had a stash of so many trim parts is he stripped Galaxies of these parts for some guys who were using the cars for Derby. He estimated he had stripped about 40 cars that went on to play in the demo arena locally.
                          Last edited by Dignlif; February 16, 2013, 11:00 PM. Reason: sad part
                          Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Sad to say.. They are very tough cars when built right..
                            4-Galaxie 500's 2 door coupes, one 63 4 door post (3 speed car)
                            All winners!

None had titles.. Thus they got cut up when we got done..
                            In fact I got a load of cut up frames in my truch for a scrap run monday am ..

When running a FE motor, you need a box on the intake to add water, there s no way on the radiator that comes stock with these cars..
                            Last edited by Deaf Bob; February 16, 2013, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I love the idea of a Gasser.

If you want to borrow/steal/modify/run with my next idea I'd be honored.

I have been toying with the idea of a solid axle Gasser that in street trip had one set of coil springs and maybe a couple of inches of lift and then having a strip set of springs with a much more aggressive lift.

I'm sure to do it properly you'd need two sets of springs and shocks (but 90/10s in the rain is iffy) and maybe a second steering link. But the idea of a DW car that is pointing to the sky at the track and more "reasonable" getting between track is a good one.

Comment

Working...
                              X