No announcement yet.

'80 Triumph Tr-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I literally have a pile of 8.8 with rear discs - swing by on one of your silverlake trips - once I get a set on the falcon I'll know what you need - if you are going to shorten - you can have one of the CV rears - but you'll have to shorten both sides....
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Awesome! What is your stash comprised of? Mustang 8.8s? TurboCoupe's? Crown Vics?

Its looking like the one in your Falcon will do very nicely.....
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

This will be epic...provided that we hide the rest of the tennis balls...squirrel...
        I'm still learning

Comment

Tennis balls? You mean SNOWBALLS!

Comment

So.........inquiring minds want to know.......(or did I miss it someplace) how
            did you end up getting it shipped?
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Yeah...when u gettin this?

Comment

That sorta remains to be seen.

I did the math everywhich way imaginable.........and the cheapest by a fairly wide margin is commercial car carrier.

Thing is, you have to go through brokers to list it on the carrier board - which is what the drivers/companies look at to "build" their loads, or prevent an empty backhaul.

And that is what will (hopefully) make it cheaper for me. Everything is going INTO Arizona, particularly Phoenix, so outbound trucks are hungry for something to haul to pay the fuel.

But the brokers are a nasty bunch. Better have your shark cage handy before going in the water with that bunch. Lots of empty promises just to get a listing fee up front.

They nearly all badmouth each other, pointing to BBB complaints and such. I went with one that was more inclined to discuss cars (I think I found a gearhead!) than to put down his competition. Plus they had good CUSTOMER reviews, the few complaints were of cars being dirty upon arrival. (well DUH! It just went across country, you didn't hire a detail service)

The complaints against the companies doing the badmouthing were more along the lines of "I paid and never saw my car", or " my car went through a derby somewhere along the trip", or just never hearing back from them after paying a listing fee.

So I went with the smallest, most gentle of the sharks? Hopefully?

Time will tell. Mr HemiJoel SR and I thought it best to post a pickup date of April 14th for a variety of reasons. After all, I have other tennis balls to keep me occupied till then.

Comment

You're going to make us wait a month? dang you stiney
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have crown vic 8.8s - most have disc brake set ups - one of those disc brake set ups will go onto the falcon 8.8
                    - which was a ranger and shortened one side axle - with two short stock axles in it and an eaton locker.

The 8.8s I have are take outs from Greg in Dayton (pintoboy) - most are likely open diffs with highway gears. But with all the used 8.8 gearsets out there, it shouldn't be hard to shorted both sides to ranger short axle width (about $85 each new), and keep the discs intact with the gear ratio of your choice....

Comment

Locker would be nice.

Its not like highway gears are out of the question.......this thing will likely end up right at the #2000 range, so steep gearing won't really be needed to get out of the hole.

And if I'm swapping rears, I'm getting factory discs for my efforts.

It appears that the upper triagulated links on the TR7 are very similar to B-body GM triangulated 4 links, the upper ears mount on the tubes and are not necessarily cast into the center section. Might be wrong but that's what I'm getting from the scarce pictures I'm finding.

If that's the case this swap is relatively simple. Grind off old brackets, locate axle, weld on old bracket to "new" axle.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        You're going to make us wait a month? dang you stiney

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                          Locker would be nice.

Its not like highway gears are out of the question.......this thing will likely end up right at the #2000 range, so steep gearing won't really be needed to get out of the hole.

And if I'm swapping rears, I'm getting factory discs for my efforts.

It appears that the upper triagulated links on the TR7 are very similar to B-body GM triangulated 4 links, the upper ears mount on the tubes and are not necessarily cast into the center section. Might be wrong but that's what I'm getting from the scarce pictures I'm finding.

If that's the case this swap is relatively simple. Grind off old brackets, locate axle, weld on old bracket to "new" axle.

If that's the case - starting with a mustang 8.8 that has the control arm brackets may not be a bad idea - further inspection of the cv 8.8s is required - I got them home from columbus and put them under the lean to - there they sit.

Comment

I'm very curious and anxious to measure the angle on those TR7 upper mounts. I have the mustang to measure and compare........ I wonder how much misalignment is acceptable?

I mean misalignment is as much as building a new upper arm that has two non-aligned pivot points. Guess that would be a good place for a heim joint or four, eh?

The lower mounts are visible in this picture, the dolly is bolted on through the lower arm holes.

The upper mounts are just barely visible, nearly right above the lower mounts and slightly rearwards. Check the next picture.

Last edited by STINEY; March 15, 2013, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Yep.
                              I'm still learning

Comment

consult Bob Holmes - and start shopping for heim joints - that would be my plan. Where are the coil spring mounts? I'd stick with the existing body mount locations - cut the mounting pads off the stock axle, and weld them to the 8.8.

Comment

Working...
                                X