No announcement yet.

'80 Triumph Tr-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love me some 215s - had 5 at one time, including the one in the Vega (long gone). That would be a SUPER choice for the Triumph - hey, they fit in an MGB! Last year was '63 - the '64 300 had an iron block w/aluminum heads but the '64 heads are supposed to be the good ones for the 215 (bigger valves and ports). I don't know much about the Rover/Land Rover versions as far as heads, etc. but they are basically the same thing but bigger at 4.0L IIRC.

The 198/225 V6 has a lot in common with the 215 (front covers, etc.) but has an iron block. Also, 2 fewer cylinders.

If you decide on a 215 there are bits available including stuff to fit it in a Vega from D&D Fabrications in Washington Township, MI. Some of those parts might make for an easier fit into the Triumph. There's an angle-milled oil filter base, for example, that tucks the filter in tight to the block. Also trans adaptors to a number of GM transmissions.

Either way, looks like a fun project. Will you have to build a wedge-shaped garage?

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; March 20, 2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      Photos....we want photos of the project arriving.
      Ooooh Yeah. Camera is all charged and ready to fire.

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      215 Buick, if only you knew anyone who liked Buicks and would have a line on such a rare animal.... if only
      Yeah......good thing no one that fits that description is on this side of the Rockies....

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
      I don't about wife math as I don't have one. But, if you keep the van and gut it, you could hide that go kart Triumph in it.
      Might actually fit! But barns work better - the van is bright yellow, draws attention....

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Will you have to build a wedge-shaped garage?
      Dan
      If I had a loading ramp at home, I would hollow it out and make a hide-out for the Triumph under it. Just like that one episode of CHIPs where the bad guys had a dune-buggy that they hid under the ramp of an old freight depot......I loved that show as a kid....
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Got the title last night. Did some research on the VIN....it decodes as a Triumph TR7/8, 49 state USA spec convertible, 4 cylinder manual shift trans left hand drive steering, and was assembled at the Canley plant.

Its the 105th car built at the Canley plant apparently. The other plant had a crippling union strike that, along with terrible build quality, was the doom of that facility. Production was moved to Canley and build quality went WAY up.

Of course, none of that means diddly-squat for this project. Interesting history though.

Oh, and SBG, that yellow 70's magazine cover TR7 you remember couldn't have been this car. This car wasn't built until 1980, so no way it was in a 70's rag.

For those who may have missed it, the PO distinctly remembers seeing this car on the cover of some car magazine. He can't remember if it was HOTROD or CarCraft or some other title, but he's 99% sure it was this car, and it was sometime between 1985 and 2000.

The search continues.......if anyone has any memory of this, I'd be glad to hear what you may remember. The PO said it was a 3/4 photo shot from the rear.
        Last edited by STINEY; March 20, 2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

PICS?

what condition is it currently it - totally gutted shell / roller with no power train?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
            PICS?

what condition is it currently it - totally gutted shell / roller with no power train?
            This is the only picture I have till it arrives.

Its not totally gutted, but there isn't much to these car to begin with. Factory interior is there, except for the seats. It now has some rough Subaru Brat seats, will probably move those along and dump in some other seats I have sitting around, if they fit.

No engine/transmission, driveshaft is there, some other misc extra pieces. Top is shot but there.

The reason the PO is so sure it is the same car is from the one-off rear wheel-well scoops and flared fenders. Kinda distinctive tell-tales that it had to be the same car. He says the metal-work is really pretty good.

Comment

Bass boat metaflake?

Comment

There is that container of real old-school flake my buddy the painter found a few months ago.......

Comment

my reference exactly - those flares remind me of the "targa camaro" that was in Risky business getting gas when Joel was trying to convince the guy to come to his party... the car was rootbeer brown flake with huge flairs and a 911 targa like rear spoiler.

The guy we bought our house from had a bright orange (no metallic) TR7 in the garage when we bought it - all stock... didn't come with the house though.

Comment

is there a bumper diet planned as part of the project?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Lucky you..
                      I got same numbers but my Buicks are V-6's and the olds is a 455.. Pffft!
                      Is this sick or what, I've got more aluminum 215s than I do SBCs
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                        is there a bumper diet planned as part of the project?
                        Most likely in one form or another. There are several heavy factory pieces that aren't visual to be lost, then there is the ditch the bumpers path. So if it didn't lose the weight in its previous incarnation it will lose some in this one.

Playing in the sand a lot, well, weight is your enemy there. Ditching extra weight gets sorta addictive......I've even lightened our house in several ways. I tell the wife our house is just getting faster every day!

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                          Most likely in one form or another. There are several heavy factory pieces that aren't visual to be lost, then there is the ditch the bumpers path. So if it didn't lose the weight in its previous incarnation it will lose some in this one.

Playing in the sand a lot, well, weight is your enemy there. Ditching extra weight gets sorta addictive......I've even lightened our house in several ways. I tell the wife our house is just getting faster every day!
                          I hear the fastest house around your parts are those aluminum-clad mansions that seem to always be in the path of a tornado - seems like a high bar to try to beat with something as old-school as wood-clad.

Comment

I hear the fastest house around your parts are those aluminum-clad mansions that seem to always be in the path of a tornado - seems like a high bar to try to beat with something as old-school as wood-clad.
                            Nah, you're thinking farther west, in the real tornado alley. We're just on the edge, though I've personally been WAY too close to 2 twisters in my life.

All our aluminum clad mansions have been disappearing the last 6 years........between the scrappers and methheads, not too many left in this locale. All our trash moved to government housing, that's the real high life in this modern age.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              Nah, you're thinking farther west, in the real tornado alley. We're just on the edge, though I've personally been WAY too close to 2 twisters in my life.

All our aluminum clad mansions have been disappearing the last 6 years........between the scrappers and methheads, not too many left in this locale. All our trash moved to government housing, that's the real high life in this modern age.
                              now now - just because they moved into fiberglass-clad homes does not mean they went down in technology... after all, fiberglass is still faster than steel or wood

and I'm disappointed, I buried a good pun in there - and not even a snicker...

Comment

Hmmmm......buried pun, buried pun....

Aluminum-clad being a high bar as they fly higher/farther due to weight.....but have to tie it back to old-school wood-clad somethings not having as much distance potential.....

Skis used to be wood, never aluminum that I know of.

Small British sports cars used to be wood/steel/aluminum, then steel/aluminum.

Nope, ya lost me on that one. Maybe it was the inflection missing that threw me?

Comment

Working...
                                X