X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I'm winning

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    but more importantly - are you going to spend part of your Easter weekend gutting the van preparing it for scrap?
    Only if the ground freezes, its on 18" of stone fill behind a barn......BUT.....every path between there and the driveway GUARANTEES 12" ruts in the yard.....IF (big if) I could get enough traction with the skidsteer to pull it out. I'm basically screwed on that regard till it freezes just one more time.

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
    Last edited by STINEY; March 28, 2013, 10:18 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Noticed something last night (inbetween go-cart revival surgery and dog ladder-climbing lessons).

This. The steering rack has been "sunk" down into the k-member. Pretty good job, it appeared factory until I found a picture of a stock k-member - it normally sits on top of the top stamped piece.

This will probably induce a touch of bumpsteer, or its possible it eliminated some bumpsteer? Hard to tell from pictures, but looking at it from the front it may have added some.

Last edited by STINEY; March 28, 2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• God LORD that's a lot of yellow - retina scarring yellow.

at least there may be some "vintage value" in those "turbine" wheels - my '70 mach 1 had a set very similar to those when I got it in '86
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• It used to be white (Western Union fleet delivery vehicle), I drove it like that a few years. Got real tired of people pulling out in front of me, seems nobody sees a white vehicle.

So I went to my paint supplier "I want the most God-Awful bright yellow you can find".

He came back with this. Name of the color - get this - "Bright Yellow". Creative huh?

Worked wonders, rarely got cut off or pulled-out-in-front-of after the color change. Easy to find in a parking lot as well. And apparently attracted a wife, we met and dated during this time frame.

Comment

• HAHA! She fell for the "get into the van man" line? wow - no wonder you have so many toys stuffed into that barn!

LOL
            Last edited by milner351; March 28, 2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Remind me to post a picture of the interior I made out of scrap carpeting from my days at the boat factory..... 16oz of psycadelic comfort in multiple hues baby!

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post

HAHA! She fell for the "get into the van man" line? wow - no wonder you have so many toys stuffed into that barn!

LOL
                Where's the "ROFLMFAO" icon??

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  Remind me to post a picture of the interior I made out of scrap carpeting from my days at the boat factory..... 16oz of psycadelic comfort in multiple hues baby!
                  Clearly Stiney has found a rare Bride indeed - not only does she embrace the van, but the psycadelic comfort van, and the sand rails.... levels of patience and understanding the rest of us can only dream of.

Happy Easter everyone - hopefully Stiney isn't hiding any eggs in that van....

Comment

• ugh, you have a problem

to reduce bumpsteer, you need to lower the attachment point on the spindle.... right about to the middle of the cast iron bit. Maybe use an offset tie rod or ball joint? ... still, with those itty-bitty tires, I can't imagine it changes that much to be very noticeable.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Clearly Stiney has found a rare Bride indeed - not only does she embrace the van, but the psycadelic comfort van, and the sand rails.... levels of patience and understanding the rest of us can only dream of.
                      Or, perhaps her eye wear prescription was out of date...
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Clearly Stiney has found a rare Bride indeed.... levels of patience and understanding the rest of us can only dream of.

Happy Easter everyone - hopefully Stiney isn't hiding any eggs in that van....
                        Don't let her hear you accuse her of being patient......wow, she'll break out some Irish on ye'. She's one of a kind for sure though!

(van has been great for hiding Christmas presents, have to find another spot now)

Happy Easter right back atcha'! Now go eat a bunny!

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                        Or, perhaps her eye wear prescription was out of date...
                        For certain Bob. Funny thing, I actually had her convinced her vision was going several years ago - she got an exam, and passed with better than 20/20. Don't think I'll ever live that one down, almost as good as when I had her convinced she missed the 80's.....she did research and determined I had the 70's confused with the 80's.....never live that one down either.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          ugh, you have a problem

to reduce bumpsteer, you need to lower the attachment point on the spindle.... right about to the middle of the cast iron bit. Maybe use an offset tie rod or ball joint? ... still, with those itty-bitty tires, I can't imagine it changes that much to be very noticeable.

The steering arm unbolts from the spindle......thinking maybe give it the old heat-n-bend treatment to drop it?

Comment

• it would be safer and easier to Z the arm. I'm not sure I'd be supportive of heating and bending cast iron. Here's why. If cast weakens, you won't know until it catastrophically fails. With the steel the connecting rod is constructed of, it'll bend, then eventually break. Steel is far more plastic than cast iron.

Comment

• Time for a spark test. Cast is small/few sparks if my memory serves, steel is a real spark show.

Might even find a fabricated substitute in the SpeedWay catalog, something that can be adapted.

Or just drive it with bumpsteer.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                                Time for a spark test. Cast is small/few sparks if my memory serves, steel is a real spark show.

Might even find a fabricated substitute in the SpeedWay catalog, something that can be adapted.

Or just drive it with bumpsteer.
                                I'd go with bumpsteer - see how bad it is... tiny tires plus not much travel will add to the pucker factor, but probably not kill you.

Comment

Working...
                                X