'80 Triumph Tr-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
    What is different between the passenger side which works correctly - and the driver side which does not - there must be something different - how far apart have you taken the passenger side?
    Nothing obvious, that's for sure. They are both in the same state of disassembly, for comparison, and the only difference is that one comes off the safety and the other don't.

The plate that rotates inside the latch - the first rotation after using the handle is about 90* (and it swings notch down from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock) that takes it to approx 6 o'clock. The second rotation (safety position) would go from the other 90* from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock which would be full release.

The second rotation just don't happen. The plate seems to be contacting something extremely solidly, enough that I was starting to dent the inner frame with the deadblow hammer.

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    This will sound crude but it worked for me once (it's taken me a while to remember this one). I had a similar situation and after assuring that the door was unlocked I had someone hold the door handle in the presumed "open" situation and I laid on the seat with me feet toward the offending door. Then the mightiest two-footed kick I could muster and the door swung open. Warn the door handle opener to pull back right after you kick! Worth a try.

Dan
    I'm all for crude Dan. Whatever works! (I did think of the kicking, but as I was by myself I thought I would be more elegant and use the deadblow hammer - make that ineffective deadblow hammer)
    Last edited by STINEY; April 5, 2013, 10:05 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Try this diagram first...

Comment

• That vertical slot/lever near the bottom of the main latch assembly all the rods connect to, looks awfully suspicious.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Thanks Tardis.

The part in the lower left corner is the latch that bolts to the outside of the door - that's the culprit.

The other side has a pin that protrudes into the inner door. The pin is easily manipulated with the screwdriver (and the mechanism that is supposed to run it, for that matter) There must be something wrong inside that part.

Randal, see that little arm pointing towards part DZA1057? That's what all the linkage boils down to, that arm lifts the pin that you can't see in this view on part DZA1057.

I am bypassing 99% of this breakdown by raising that pin manually. Still no dice.
          Last edited by STINEY; April 5, 2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• I'm banking on dirt in the latch mechanism then if it's the outside the door part. I'm liking Dan's idea, BFH are good, but even a light kick has more power behind it, just it's spread over a larger area. Maybe lean up a 2x4 to the door panel to kick against to minimize the possibility of damaging sheet metal.

Any chance of pulling the working one off the other door for better inspection of it's internal workings?
            Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 5, 2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
              Any chance of pulling the working one off the other door for better inspection of it's internal workings?
              Now this, I can do. Details at 11:00

Comment

• Done yet?
                LOL
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  take the passenger side apart in hopes to better understand how it works so hopefully I could get the dr side to work.

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  Now this, I can do. Details at 11:00

Why did not I not think of that 2 days ago, Guess its sounds so much better when SB says it!
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    Keep the heat, I would want ac as well. What was that mix atf and paint thinner? Spray it on the door latch. I would take the passenger side apart in hopes to better understand how it works so hopefully I could get the dr side to work.
                    Original ideas are over rated I mentioned in the picture thread I wanted to see him perform precision saws-all'ing, which is another one of your ideas
                    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; April 5, 2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Sorry Russell......at that point I was still hearing "take the passenger door panel off and compare inner workings".

Today I heard "take the (perfectly good) latch off" and disassemble it, in order to maybe learn why the one Randall hasn't yet told me how to remove doesn't work.

Just ask my wife, I can be a tad slow at times.

And I am also hearing 2 votes for sawzalling - working intently on ignoring those voices.
                      Last edited by STINEY; April 5, 2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• Dynamite...yeah, that's the ticket.
                        I'm still learning

Comment

• I'll save that for one of the "Locally-Sourced" projects. Should make for a longer rust-shower?

Comment

• No worries!

Just ask my wife some times I don't convey my thoughts clearly!

SB I missed your sawsall post. I think that would be my last resort.
                            Last edited by Russell; April 5, 2013, 02:06 PM.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

• Here's a real good idea... Lean into it FROM THE OUTSIDE, or booty bump it as hard as u can.. Sometimes have to get it to latch fully before it opens? With all effort opening it, maybe CLOSING then opening will do the trick?

Previous owner cut 4 times on both sides of the rear door on the 57, thus if I slam the door too hard (ONE PIECE ) , the latch comes apart..

Comment

• Stiney - Rhonda admires your van interior carpeting resourcefulness, we'd better start stocking up on cap'n....
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X