No announcement yet.

74 NovaMan’s … Novas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went with copper instead of the aluminum my radiator guy says it's better if you have a leak it is easier to fix and it won't start leaking after a couple years in the cores like most aluminum ones do.
    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Greg - Thanks for the info. I got out the propane torch and solder tonight. Worked like a charm. In fact it almost seemed too easy, but maybe I'm just a little paranoid. I did run it up to operating temp and it held just fine. In the interest of covering my ass, I will likely take Stiney and my wife's counsel and buy a new rad before the tour.
      Last edited by 74NovaMan; May 10, 2017, 09:24 AM.
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Ignore Stiney - his cars don't run

actually, I bet your old radiator will be just fine.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          actually, I bet your old radiator will be just fine.

SBG - You are probably right and I currently have bigger fish to fry.

Here is a shot of the car outside the garage! It now moves under its own power! I even took it for a spin around the block. Detail oriented viewers will notice a hose going from the car window to under the car. This is the transmission pressure gauge that tells me that all is not as advertised with the $250 Craig's List transmission that was such a great score 3 years ago. Pressures are marginal and with the prospect of 4,000 miles of Power Tour ahead of us I have decided that it is time for a rebuild. I will be delivering the spare 700R4 to a rebuilder tomorrow and hope to have it back by Friday, May 24. We are planning on leaving for Texas on Thursday, May 30. Is it time to panic yet? I really don't want to do the Tour in a 2010 Edge. I will certainly be much more comfortable if I have to but it won't be right!

Click image for larger version

Name:	test drive.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	869994
          Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 26, 2015, 07:11 AM.
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Car looks good but that sucks about your tranny. I had a problem like that before the 09 power tour with my rear swap two days before leaving. If you get in back in time you will make. See you on power tour.

Comment

• It's doable in 2011 I had to pull the trans out of the Pinto the day before the trip to Cocoa Beach and rebuild it and get it back in to leave the next morning. Everybody ask if I was going to test it first and I said yes about 1700 miles tomorrow it did fine and still is. Good Luck.
              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Thanks guys. I am going to do my best to have all the other little details done before next weekend so that only the trans swap is left.
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Dropped off the Trans last night at about 5:45 in front of the garage of the Trans guy's house. My guy was at a track meet for one of his kids and was not sure when he would be back. I got a call from him at about 7:00 letting me know that the Trans was apart and was a good rebuilder. It is an 86 model so I will need a few upgrades.
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• As I wait for my new transmission, I accomplished a few things today. Got the last of the exhaust hangers in. Hooked up the speedo cable. Snugged up the E-brake and installed the new tach and mounted the gauges. I used to have the guges mounted in the dash (pic #1) but I decided to leave the perfect dash insert alone and mount them under the dash. When I mounted them there I misplaced the mounting brackets. 5-minute epoxy to the rescue (see pic#3.) I may get black bezel guages and cups to mount under the dash for a cleaner look sometime down the road. I also had to by a cigarette lighter socket as my car was cig lighter delete and while I don't smoke I imagine I will need a charging port sometime in 4,000 miles.

Name:	G3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1025960

Name:	G2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	870065

Name:	G1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	870067
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:39 PM.
                    74 Nova Project
                    66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Finally got the hood and grille back on and drove it to town to pick up some groceries and fill the tank. It was about a 12 mile round trip and included a couple of short freeway bits. Everything seemed to work fine but the transmission, which shifted a bit weird. I am hoping to get an alignment tomorrow and install the radio & speakers on Tuesday. Still planning a transmission & radiator swap on Saturday.

Name:	gas strop.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	870068
                      Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:40 PM.
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Drove to work today - 33 more miles.

Name:	Car at work.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	870076
                        Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:40 PM.
                        74 Nova Project
                        66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                        1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Winning!
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Trans guy called tonight. I am picking it up tomorrow.
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• I hate cars! I drove to work again today without incident. Went out at lunch to pick up the new radiator and I look down at the temp guage and it is reading 220. I shut the car off at a stop light and start it back up and the guage drops fairly rapidly back down to 160. It seems fine as I go another couple of miles and get the radiator. After I leave there, it behaves similarly of the next 2 stops the last of which it made a quick dash up to 230 and then down again after I shut it off for a minute. I have an old Autometer guage a brand new temp switch (defunct out of the box - the light starts glowing at about 100 deg on the guage) and a new high flow 180 deg thermostat. I swear if there is a bad part on the shelf I will end up with it. I should have left the 250 in it. This thing is killing me.

Anyone here think it is not the thermostat?
                              Last edited by 74NovaMan; May 21, 2013, 11:39 AM. Reason: Added question
                              74 Nova Project
                              66 Mustang GT Project

79 Chevy Truck Project
                              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• You're low on coolant. Make sure there isn't an air bubble in the system.

When I top off my car, I pull the top heater hose off the intake and fill the radiator until it it starts spilling out the heaterhose port, then pop the hose on. If your heater core was empty when you topped off the coolant that'll lower the level initially too.

Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 21, 2013, 12:07 PM.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X