X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I use those on my car.... only header gaskets that I've ever reused

best story, though, I forgot to tighten a bolt on the back of the manifold.... no leak. try that with your paper or copper gaskets.... my only issue with them, though, you need longer header bolts - and those can be sometimes a bit hard to find

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    At the end of the day, the new springs are mounted and the new rear end is resting on them. I need to get the u-bolts off the original rear and mount the lower plates so that I can get the jack stands under the axle and off the body. My goal is to have it running by the end of April.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RE Swap 5.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	869485

Name:	4.21 Progress.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	869486
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Thanks NightShifter and Randall! I appreciate the support!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    At this point I figured it would be best to get the exhaust in place so I pulled it out of the cold side of the garage. Yes, I am still using the heater as it was 28 degrees on April 21st in St. Paul MN this morning.

Name:	Exhaust 1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	869484
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
    "Don't let perfect get in the way of done."
    Win!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Here is a shot of the new and the old side by side as well as a shot of the original shackles next to the replacements I got at the Chevy dealer in town in 2005. I decided to go with strength over originality and installed the stronger shackles. The new rear is the one that is closest in the picture and has actually got a really nice coat of paint on it. Unfortunately it has about 6 years of dust on it.

Name:	RE Swap Shackles.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	869482

Name:	RE Swap 4.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	869481
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NightShifter
    Guest replied
    I learned that lesson on a 55 Chevy I was doing. Never got to drive it and it's all gone.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Thanks Greg. I've been following your Torino thread daily and feel your pain on the long term project. I have dad's 66 Mustang GT in the garage along with a donor shell that is next up on the list when the Nova is running. I finally decided I want to drive the Nova instead of just push it around the garage so my new motto is: "Don't let perfect get in the way of done."

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    At 1 hour and 15 minutes the rear end was completely out and everything was apart. To those of you in the rust free states this may not seem to be any big deal. The last time I changed out leaf springs on a 74 Nova was about 20 years ago and it took dad and I all day to get the springs out and the brackets clean and ready to reinstall. In that procedure we used a lot of flame wrench, some intentional burning of bushings in place and a lot of new hardware.

Name:	RE Swap 3.2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	869480
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pintoboy77
    replied
    Anytime that you get to work on them is good. My problem is I take on to many other peoples projects and don't work on my own. Good Luck and it is looking good.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    An hour later I was looking at this:

Name:	RE Swap 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	869478

Name:	RE Swap 3.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	869479
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    On Sunday, I also had limited time to work. I started with the rear end swap. The springs on the car were shot and I had a pretty fresh 3.08 posi that I built for the donor car in 2004. Here is how it looked before I started.

Name:	RE Swap Before.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	869477

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Saturday I got derailed and had to go buy and install blinds for the basement so I only had a couple of hours to work. I managed to get the headers in and the power steering, alternator and dipstick. I'm trying these fancy header gaskets instead of the cheap paper ones and a tube of ultra copper. I'm interested to see if they work as advertised.

Name:	Header Gaskets.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	869476

Name:	Headers Installed.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	869475

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Next up on the list:

Name:	Headers.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	869240
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    The rest of my garage time was spent installing the starter, trans lines, trans dipstick, motor mount bolts, crank pulley, water pump, t-stat housing and fuel pump. The carb and valve covers below are not bolted on and need some help yet before I can. I just tossed them on for inspiration.

Name:	Sunday progress.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	869239

Name:	under car.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	869238
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X