Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Oh yea! I forgot to talk about temp issues. The thermostat needs to cycle on first start up or if it has been sitting long enough. On start up it will heat to 220-230 before dropping to running temp (180). Interestingly enough, when runnning down hill through the mountains, the motor got soo cool that the thermostat "cycled". I was running under 170 and when I started applying some load I looked at the temp gauge and saw 220. It started to drop almost as if it had been caught out. When it did it the second time I killed the engine for about 90 seconds, restarted and it cooled down immediately. Outside of startups and the couple of wierd mountain bits I never saw anything over 200, even in 90 degree heat and stopped traffic.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Car Prep for Power Tour - Costs:
    Rear Springs
    Radio
    Headliner
    Water Pump
    Trans fitler and gasket
    Trans fluid
    Water neck, T-stat, Temp Sender & Seals
    Air Shocks
    Distributor/coil/lower hose
    Fuel pump
    Transmission Rebuild
    Radiator
    Trans Fluid #2
    Temp Sender #2
    Alignment & Exhaust Tips
    TOTAL: $2,700

Hotels – 10 Nights - $1,709

Gas – 239 Gallons – Avg $3.58/gal – 16.5 MPG over 3,957 miles

Misc expenses - $1,050 - $105/day

Total Power Tour Expenses $3,600 (not including car prep)

Repairs on Tour:
    I pulled up next to Donna & Mike at a stoplight on the way to Texarkana and they asked how it was going. I said it was going great and they invited me to run with them if I wanted. I thought that was great and got into the throttle at the light trying to catch up and within 2 miles the torque converter lockup was acting weird. Unfortunately, I lost the freaks and had a bit of panic when the lockup started engaging and disengaging at a rapid rate a few miles later. Thinking back to my conversations with the trans rebuilder about the need for a lockup in a light car like mine I pulled the fuse for the lockup. I later confirmed that this was likely OK with my rebuilder. Trans worked flawlessly for the rest of the trip.

On the way to Charlotte from Chattanooga the speedometer cable started chirping. It was not too bad for the 350 mile leg and I thought it would be ok for the ride home. About 20 miles from Charlotte on the way home it became very clear that something needed be done or lives would be lost. I applied the Siri gadget on my iPhone and located an O’Rieliey Auto 1.4 miles off my current route. 20 minutes and $2 later we were back on the road with a much better outlook on the next 1,200 miles. I have an NOS cable in my garage that will be installed soon.

The only other thing I did to the car on the tour (besides adding 239 gallons of gas) was add 1 qt of oil at about 1,000 miles after initial installation. 3,000 miles later I needed a quart to top it off. I run Castrol Syntec 5W50. I am due for an oil change.

To Do List based on the last 4,000 miles:
    Oil Change
    Fix Transmission Lockup and make adjustments
    Fix Visors
    Fix Rear View Mirrior
    Fix Shifter Knob
    Blinker Lever
    Plug Wires
    Shorty Headers
    Swap Springs - Drivers side lower
    Sticky stuff on floor - Carpet??
    Wiper Refills
    Long Haul Sticker
    Battery hold down
    Replace speedo cable
    New windshield
    Front Speakers
    Headliner
    350 Emblems

We are so glad we were able to go with plan A on the tour this year. The car ran great and my wife and I had a good time on tour and meeting all the Forum Freaks. She even kept up with her “Insanity” workout schedule while we were on tour. We hope to see you all on the road someday.
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by pintoboy77 View Post
    Nice meeting you Chris I like to put as many faces with the names as I can.
    It was nice to meet you too Greg. I thought I was going to miss you.

Leave a comment:

• pintoboy77
    replied
    Nice meeting you Chris I like to put as many faces with the names as I can.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    sorry about the rain for your return...glad you kept on truckin...

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Bob - yes and very good. More detail later. We are home. Almost 4,000 miles. 1,200 of those in the last 32 hours. More details later...

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Aren't you glad you didn't do plan B?

How was your temps?

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Sounding like a very successful trip for plan A!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    We left Charlotte at 8:00 this morning. We knocked down 800 miles in 12 hours. We are in Normal, IL for the night and about 430 miles from home. Tomorrow we get to sleep in our own bed!

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied
    Cool trip looks like you had a great time. One day I'd like to do the tour. Speaking of air bubbles, I had that problem on an old '78 Econoline van with a 351W. The problem was a heater hose. It had a slight arc wich was just a little bit above the top hose. I had to tie wrap it down so it wouldn't trap air.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    We kept the faith...and you made it... BangShifters are a hearty bunch!!
    Are you going to be at Rock N Rods in July?? (see thread in the powertour section)
    Hope to see you there!!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    FTW - The eagle has landed! Only 1200 miles to go to get home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	870420
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 26, 2015, 12:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
    If Momma's not havin' fun ..... nobody's havin' fun!
    Which is why I asked..
    Glad you both are enjoying yourselves!

Leave a comment:

• Bamfster
    replied
    If Momma's not havin' fun ..... nobody's havin' fun!

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    The weather has been really good until yesterday and even then it cleared up for the venue. We went through some places that looked pretty hard hit. My wife says she is having fun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X