Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Just so you know, the new 180 thermostat in my impala spikes up to 210 before opening. Its a Stant Super Stat with two 1/8" holes drilled in it.

Good luck and have fun on the tour. Dont forget to take a few pics for us to see.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Good news from the alignment shop. Just out a little on the toe in. Hopefully it will clear up my slight pull to the right while braking.

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    Keep driving it!! That 225*F warm up spike is nothing to be concerned about IMO, it's the long haul and then traffic idling that is important.
    This is what I've been trying to say..

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    I am the same way. Also lucky to have a good alignment shop right around the corner.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    This is wierd. I just dropped the Nova off to have someone else work on it. It's only and alignment and exhaust tip install but I almost never let anyone else work on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gy.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	870286
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; April 26, 2015, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Keep driving it!! That 225*F warm up spike is nothing to be concerned about IMO, it's the long haul and then traffic idling that is important.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    I was up til 1am installing the radio. This is the first time since I have owned the car that it has had a working radio. Very cool.

The temp issue seems to be stablizing. It heated up to 225 this morning and after a couple of miles it dropped to about 175-180 where it ran all the way to work. This has been the program from a cold start for the last 8 trips. 31.5 hours left to work out any bugs.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Nice! The original crappy blue Nova!
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; May 28, 2013, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 91CCFirebird
    replied
    saw this at walmart today and thought of this car

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Sounds so much like my flatbed!
    I haul 12K of rock 7-10 miles with it and a cord of slabs from a small sawmill up in the hills..
    I drive 2 miles on the freeway to get to the turn off while unloaded.. The first mile is worrisome climbing to 220-240, then the temp drops to 180, never to climb over 190 max even with the mile long 2nd gear climb to the mill and the trip home a different way..
    I also make 2-6 or more scrap runs 35 miles one way into the "city" anywhere from a ton to 4 tons a trip
    Maybe just drive it more than what you have been, when it climbs, i know..pucker factor, when it drops... It might be like the flatbed, just drive thru the climb in temp and see if it cools down without shutting off or stopping... Betcha it acts just like my flatbed

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Thanks for the idea. I took it out to grab lunch and it did the same thing. Heated up to 220. I stopped at a light and turned it off for a minute and then it dropped to 180 within seconds. Drove it a few miles after that and spent 5-10 minutes idling in a drive through and it never got above 185.
    Last edited by 74NovaMan; February 4, 2016, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• novadriver
    replied
    I see you are having heating issues. Here one thing I have found to help not sure if you have checked this or not. But I have taking the drain plugs out of the block(just above the oill pan rails on both sides) and didn't get any fluids comming out. Stick someting in the hole to find there was a bunch of crud stuck in the water passage. Once I drain that out and flush the system it helped my flow alot. Its might be worth a try. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• 74NovaMan
    replied
    Beagle - If I was going with a buddy I'd be much more inclined to go for it.

Stiney - I did reuse the spring, although the parts counter guy said I did not need to. The system is pressureizing fine.

Update - In a great leap of faith I drove the car to work today. 33 miles. Mostly freeway. Temp hit 215 at the gas station a couple of miles from home and was down to 190 with the car off while filling when I went to leave. It ran under 180 for most of the freeway drive and did not get over 185 after the initial heat up. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    I was reading through the before and after list.

Noticed new hoses......does the lower hose have the spring in it? Lots of new hoses DO NOT include the anti-collapse spring, you are supposed to "reuse" your old one in the new hose. Weird but true.

Perhaps you have a restriction on the intake side of the pump?

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    I'd say go for the adventure, but if you have momma with you, may not be worth the potential downside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X